Bow Hunting?
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Bow Hunting?

Bow Hunting?

Does anyone use their TW200 exploring while Archery Hunting? If so... where do you carry your bow? Do you use the rubber handlebar mounted carrying forks. Mount to a rear rack or what? Hunting season is just about upon us...

Hi captain. Most posts have either been the forks on the handlebars or a kolpin style mount for a hardcase off a cycleracks rear rack/passenger pegs. I am scared of the handlebar forks mostly for the vibration right to my bow. If on smooth roads it may be fine. I don't have cycleracks so I have no idea on that one. My best option is to use my backpack, which has the kuiu bow holder kit added to a non-kuiu backpack. That way it is secure to my back, which feels less vibration. But it is a pain for moving in the seat and would be trouble in the event of a get off/wreck. I would think the other backpacks that secure the bow to the pack would also work, as long as the lower cam does not go below your tailbone, which would cause it to hit the seat. I have some trouble with that using the kuiu system too.

I would love to hear a good option, so let us know if you find one that works for you.
    Ken likes this.
    2013 (old stock bought new by me in 2015), 700 miles as of May 2016, 14/55 with DID o-ring at 50 miles, Cyclops 3800 LED, superbright.com tail/brake LED (1157-R45-T: 1157 Red), superbright.com turn signal indicator (BA9S-G4-32-12VAC: Green 32 Degree 12V), ebay bark busters, ebay wide footpegs, manracks with rotopax, 1 gal rotopax, plasti-dip on all plastics Oct 2015, ebay mirror extenders, 80% trail/20% road, ALL maintenance per manual, BY ME ONLY (more freq. oil changes, reusing orig. filter)

Hello, i use a backpack to carry on the bike. Works great for the mtn bike but not as well on the TW as Eric pointed out. I think im gonna try strapping it to the pack sideways this year that way the cam wont hit. I strap it kinda diagonally now, which prob is gonna be the most multi use friendly (between hiking and riding).
    Good luck!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I use the rubner mounts on the handlebars. No issue with vibration, i have had my bow, crossbow and two different guns in the rack, without incident. Only pain, to be legal on the road in MI, they have to be in a locked case with the ammo in a seperate compartment. Check your local laws, but in many cases, you are operating a motor vehicle and it forces you to follow those laws. Are you allowd to carry a bow with arrows in the quiver on your seat when you drive your truck? If not, can't do it on a bike either. Same goes for a rifle. I do have a conceal carry permit. It does not cover long guns in relation to how you can carry in or on a motor vehicle.
    Ken likes this.
    2002 TW200 "The Punisher"
    1998 DR350r
    1996 KDX 200
    Riding in and around the great state of Michigan (usually)

Do you shoot compound or traditional? I shoot traditional and use the primal gear,survival long bow with takedown arrows. The whole rig fits in a 25 inch piece of pvc pipe stapped to my cycle rack. I would think you could build a side mounted scabourd for a compound bow. Otherwise the forks sound like they would work if the brush on the single track isn't too thick or the trail too rough. There are some take down recurve bows that pack pretty small.

I have both a left and a right hand recurve take down bows. They come apart with no piece longer than a bit more than 2 1/2 feet long.
    They go back together by thumbscrews. You can make a quiver with three compartments so that the parts don't chafe each other when carrying them
    A fourth compartment can hold arrows. Voila! death on wheels!
    Last edited by phelonius; 08-08-2017 at 07:05 AM. Reason: auto correct fucks it up.
    Ken and Fred like this.
    Phelonius

Only problem is... When your hunting Blacktail Deer you don't usually have the luxury of taking time to assemble all your equipment. By then... well... their gone...lol... Hell... I sometimes I can't even get off my bike. And then the "Grey Ghosts" just vanish into the wild....
    Ken likes this.

I use forks on the handle bars as well as a second set on my cyclerack. Sometimes the bow goes forward, sometimes on the rear,depending on what else I have to carry. And sometimes one of the sets of forks gets an axe, which is handy if a tree is across the trail, or if a fire is needed.
    The cyclerack is very handy if hauling out an animal.
    I have a takedown recurve as well as a compound, either can fit on some way. The recurve sometimes rides assembled, especially if just relocating, going to use it again. You do have to watch clearance with brush on the sides. It is as well to go slow anyway, be quiet as possible.

I park the bike and walk quietly to hunt off the trail, so the inability to quickly shoot fast from the seat of the bike is not an issue.
    captainkettel likes this.

For many years I used a backpack pack setup. No problems whatsoever. I feel a handlebar setup is too vulnerable to tip overs and catching trailside obstructions such as brush, tree limbs, etc.
    CS1983 and Ken like this.
    Beauty is as beauty does.
    If it works good, it's beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by Rider21 View Post
    For many years I used a backpack pack setup. No problems whatsoever. I feel a handlebar setup is too vulnerable to tip overs and catching trailside obstructions such as brush, tree limbs, etc.
    Agree w/ tip overs and branch grabbing. Vertical is the way to go.
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

"I thought the slowest bike i have ever owned was going to kill me." - Hidden Content

The John Birch Society is too Liberal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links