Looking for Portable Tire Pump
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hello,

I'm looking for a portable tire pump to carry in the tractor manual tube on my TW which is approximately 3"x12". Years ago I had a great one but cannot find anything like it. Ideally I would like it to have a hose for attaching to the valve. So far the only one I can find that might fit my need is this one but it is close on the length (11.8 inches).

http://www.rei.com/product/831755/le...rive-mini-pump

Your thoughts on this will be appreciated. I would like to get an air pump, my tire gauge, and some patches into that tractor manual tube.

Thanks,

T-Dan

Visit a real bicycle shop or two.

EDIT: The better pumps are usually fitted with a chuck that fits higher dollar bikes that use Presta valves. The TW tubes use Schrader valves. Some pumps have a convertible chuck, but the compromise is added complexity and the risk of losing some of the parts. Definately switch to a dedicated Schrader valve chuck.

Some people buy the inexpensive electric pumps that plug into a cigar lighter, take them apart and just keep the pump.
    2001 TW200 adopted January 2012. 2001 Moto Guzzi California EV acquired June 2012. Ex-rides: Hidden Content , Hidden Content that I rode 67,000 miles in six years and had many Hidden Content , 1979 Yamaha RD400F Daytona Special, Yamaha XT 500, 1969 Yamaha DT 175 Enduro purchased new that started it all and a Honda 90 and 110 ATV, an Indian Mini Buffalo (a 50cc Italjet) and a couple of other dirt bikes.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

The pump I use. Fits in the tube.

Quote Originally Posted by pushinluck View Post
    The pump I use. Fits in the tube.

Very nice - may be the one I buy and a decent price.

T-Dan

Walmart Slime Pump $11

Among the hand pumps the Topeak Road Morph and Mountain Morph pumps are hands down favorites among touring bicyclist. They have a bit of hose which allows pump to be placed on ground, held in place with foot, and the handle flips perpendicular to act like a real pump (also have built in gauge in hose). These are capable of inflating bike tires upt to 100 psi or more, but thats also an indication that they have the volume to fill a big tire to low pressure. Using any bike pump to inflate a tw tire will be slow, but faster than walking for other assistance.

The slime and other 12v pumps are an alternative but probably do not fit in the tractor tube. All options have trade offs. Cheers, Tom
    Tom - TW200 2002, Kawasaki VN 500 2006

Hidden Content

Central New Mexico

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty View Post
    Visit a real bicycle shop or two.

EDIT: The better pumps are usually fitted with a chuck that fits higher dollar bikes that use Presta valves. The TW tubes use Schrader valves. Some pumps have a convertible chuck, but the compromise is added complexity and the risk of losing some of the parts. Definately switch to a dedicated Schrader valve chuck.

some online bike stores i have bought from if you don't have a shop close to you...i have a blackburn pump for my mountain bike that i like but it has the reversible chuck that qwerty is talking about

http://www.performancebike.com

http://www.coloradocyclist.com

http://www.nashbar.com

Thanks for all of the help. I ordered the one pushinluck recommended since it fit my specs and also a set of 3 tire irons. So, now I just need a patch kit and two decent wrenches to fit the nuts so that every thing I need to fix a flat is in the tractor tube. I already have a good low pressure tire gauge.

I do plan to go to our local bicycle shop for the tube patch kit and also to look at handlebar bags as I would like to find a small bag and those on the web don't have dimensions specified. I also need to find a bag to put all of the stuff in that goes in the tube so that I can easily pull it out.

This whole discussion reminds me that I need to take those small nuts off of my valve stems so that I can see if my tire is slipping at all on the rim due to running low tire pressures. And, if it does with that nut on it will rip the valve stem off and a patch kit won't help with that.

Dan

Dan,

I squared off the ends of two tire irons (11") and cut the box end off of two inexpensive combination wrenches and welded them onto my tire irons. Total length is just under 12" and I save the weight/bulk of the wrenches.

Bag
    "The TW may be slow, but the Earth is patient" - MK

"If I'm wrong, and it turns out that you hate it, I'll send you all my Barry Manilow albums." LB

Hidden Content

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links