Windshield Help
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windshield Help

Hey all

I recently ordered a Slipstream Spitfire wind shield for the TW. When I mounted it up and got it out for a ride, I realized that it did make riding more comfortable by keeping the pressure off of my chest, but I can't get over how loud it is! It seems to channel all of the airflow up to the middle of my face and neck to the point that all I can hear is the turbulent air rushing around my helmet.

I've tried adjusting it, and I've had decent luck but the problem remains. It's nice to feel more comfortable on the bike but it ruins the riding experience if you're constantly yelling at it to shut up!

Any suggestions? If any of you have the Spitfire, do you have any pictures of how you have it mounted up? Maybe I'm missing something that could help. It seems like if I hold my hand up as if I was extending the windshield an extra 3" the problem essentially goes away. I feel like I can fab up some extension poles for the mounts to give me the extra 3", but if I do that I might lose some of the protection down by the headlight. BTW, I'm only 5' 9" or so.

Thanks!
    1999 Pontiac Firebird Formula Hardtop M6 - not stock

2001 Pontiac Grand Prix GT

2007 TW200 - O-ring chain, Moose Racing hand guards and tail rack, Tourmaster tailbag, Slipstreamer Spitfire windshield, Walmart seat cushin

Hidden Content

99, you are not alone my friend.

I have the same windscreen. I use it when I ride down the pavement roads and in winter (some). I noticed the same issue as you, particularly the height issue with buffeting wind in my face.

I will some photo's of my solution so you can see what I did, but will explain it here so you can see where I am going. There is more than one way to [s]skin a cat[/s] mow a yard, but this is the approach I used.

I found a tinted car plastic sun visor extension. Sun visor is thinner, but easier to cut. Anyway, I measured it up on top of the Spitfire, cut it to my taste, drilled 2 holes, then 2 holes through the Spitfire, and secured with screws and rubber washers. With the now secured visor attached to the windscreen, most (not all) of the wind buffet is not in my face anymore.

However, I created another problem which needed fix'in. With the top of the windscreen re-directing more wind, I found the top wanted to tip back and I was worried with prolonged riding I'd end up with a broken windscreen. My solution (again I will show in picture later), I drilled 1 small hole on each lower side of the windscreen near the front turn signals. I then used a very small bungee cord, hooked it in the holes and then wrapped it around my handlebar.

Reason I used bungee cord is, I take my windscreen on and off a lot depending on where I'm gonna ride and doing it this way keeps the tools and time in check. Tylenol Run trail ride, no windscreen, trip to the store, put windscreen on.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Thanks for the reply! I look forward to seeing your pictures, but it sounds like you've come up with a pretty good way to deal with the wind. I'm still debating on making some extensions for the poles that go into the windshield and trying it out as well. I think if I can move the windshield up even 1-2" it might help some.

But yeah....I haven't actually thought much about attaching something to the top. If I can find something rigid enough I can use some auto body trim tape to mount it for now and trim it til I'm happy with it, then find something like you did to cut and attach permanently.

....or of course order the Viper

2007 TW200 - O-ring chain, Moose Racing hand guards and tail rack, Tourmaster tailbag, Slipstreamer Spitfire windshield, Walmart seat cushin

Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Here's a photo of mine. I didn't mind the screen, but felt most comfortable with it in winter and on road (not offroad).

https://tw200forum.com/index.php?/top...r-time-shield/

tom
    Tom - TW200 2002, Kawasaki VN 500 2006

Hidden Content

Central New Mexico

I have a viper. It is taller and wider than the spitfire but I plan on extending it before winter comes back around. I plan to use a helmet shield to extend it. I am going to drill some holes and havent figured out which hardware yet. There is a company that makes these extensions called laminar lips but they are pricey!
    '13 690 Enduro R too many frickin farkles...
    '07 KLX250 farkled (wife's bike)
    '86 BW80 farkled to size
    '10 TW200 you will be missed

Quote Originally Posted by peruano View Post
    Here's a photo of mine. I didn't mind the screen, but felt most comfortable with it in winter and on road (not offroad).

https://tw200forum.com/index.php?/top...r-time-shield/

tom

I know what you mean about on vs. offroad. The angle and height of the shield give the impression that it's going to hit you in the face if you roll over forward

From what I can gather, you didn't have the base of your shield touch the lens shroud....any problems with this in the wind? You definitely seem to have yours mounted further up than mine was, maybe even at a more vertical angle.

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by PalmStateCrawler View Post
    I have a viper. It is taller and wider than the spitfire but I plan on extending it before winter comes back around. I plan to use a helmet shield to extend it. I am going to drill some holes and havent figured out which hardware yet. There is a company that makes these extensions called laminar lips but they are pricey!

So, even the Viper isn't quite enough? Are you a lot taller than I am?

The idea of a helmet shield is pretty good....I was looking for something flexible enough to conform to the shape of the shield, that might work just fine.

As far as mounting it to see if it works, I have some automotive trim mounting tape ....basically a double sided tape that feels more like a putty. I think it might do a decent job of holding things in place, but maybe only temporary. As long as the surfaces are clean, I think it'll keep the shield in place at least long enough to try it out. Maybe using a brace, like a piece of aluminum, along with the tape would be enough to keep it there for good.

Hidden Content

I'm 6' and it works great. The wind hits me at eye level so I cant open my shield. That is why I want to raise it a few inches.
    '86 BW80 farkled to size

Sounds like I bought the wrong shield, lol

Do you have a pic of your TW with the Viper?

Hidden Content

Proud to be the only know TW with red led lighting
    '86 BW80 farkled to size

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links