Another newbie
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another newbie

Drove 5.5 hours to pick up my Tw200 from Ramsey-Waite in Eugene today. 2011 with 606 miles on her. I changed the oil, and put 6 miles on her going out to dinner after I got home. I checked the chain,and there is about 2 inches of play in it and I am thinking of tightening it a little tomorrow, after her morning ride. According to the manual the chain is still within operating range,but almost not.I hope the image I tried to attach works, It is the first time I sat on her to ride (notice the smile. Just wanted to say "HI" and thanks to the forum , I value the help given here. I will share some photos of my first real ride afterwords. : )B [media]http://www.flickr.com/photos/brinybone/7324737264/in/photostream[/media]
    Hidden Content

1987 Honda FatCat: Custom metalRear fender, aftermarket lights, wood-accented dash
    2011 Yamaha TW200: Jimbo SHeild, Handguards, Factory rack, Hot Wheels barpad
    2013 Kawasaki Brute Force 300: Cleaned of spash graphics, Roll-over scratch accents intact : )B

Great looking bike. Welcome to the addiction!
    Hidden Content

2005 TW200 (SOLD)
    2013 DR650

Thanks! I have been lurking until I got a bike and after riding her today "addicted" is a correct term. : )B
    Hidden Content

1987 Honda FatCat: Custom metalRear fender, aftermarket lights, wood-accented dash
    2013 Kawasaki Brute Force 300: Cleaned of spash graphics, Roll-over scratch accents intact : )B

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Well if it's the stock chain

I would have to agree with QWERTY who had this to say a few years ago

" The stock chain is cheap and unless you are anal about maintenance and baby it, you'll be lucky to get 6000 miles out of it before you run out of adjustment and it starts jumping the sprockets. My current o-ring chain required adjustment after 600 miles and has seen a squirt of Champion Motorcycle Chain Lube every 1000 miles or so to keep it from rusting. The chain now has over 10,000 miles on it, including several nasty dualsport rides, and hasn't stretched a bit since the adjustment. The freedom of not having to maintain the chain on a daily basis is well worth a price three times that of a stock replacement, not to mention triple the chain life or more.

The way I figure, I save $40 every 6000 miles on not having to buy new sprockets a stock chain would have destroyed as it wore. I also save the time, side cover gaskets, and sprocket bolt retainers I don't use when I don't have to change sprockets.

I figure an o-ring chain and one set of sprockets and retainers costs $120. Three stock chains, three sets of sprockets, at least one side cover gasket, and a set of retainers is close to $200. Money-wise, an o-ring chain saves me $80 over its life. "

The TW's can be fickle with chain tension. If you adjust the chain and the bike starts shifting hard, then you went to far one way or the other.

Thanks Rich, I will probably get an o-ring chain when this one wears out, but will try to make it last as long as I can. I hope schucks will have some chain lube suitable for my bike as I want to take her out on some logging roads tomorrow. Thanks for the help. The bike seems to be totally stock. I had the barkbusters added at the dealer when I bought it
    Hidden Content

Herc, adjust the chain before you go on your morning ride. Wouldn't want your chain to pop off and ruin it.

From her maiden voyage up Savage Creek Road to the old logging roads. : )B Uh, I didn't adjust the chain before, but will tonight after yardwork. [media]http://www.flickr.com/photos/brinybone/7329474624/in/photostream[/media] Dang it! How do I get pics to be attached to my posts without just a link being displayed, but the actual photo?
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Hercanstein View Post
    From her maiden voyage up Savage Creek Road to the old logging roads. : )B Uh, I didn't adjust the chain before, but will tonight after yardwork. [media]http://www.flickr.com/photos/brinybone/7329474624/in/photostream[/media] Dang it! How do I get pics to be attached to my posts without just a link being displayed, but the actual photo?

Try this.

If you can't find it, grind it

1990 TW200

Thanks Rainman!
    Hidden Content

A few more pics of my AWESOME maiden Voyage.

Hot Wheels.: )B

Thanks again, Rainman for the help. B
    Hidden Content

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links