HELP ON PRICE FOR NEWBIE
Close
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Greetings all! I hope this forum is as helpful as my Yamaha Jet Boat forum is! Anyway, by chance my neighbor (who has a couple similar bikes and this one was sitting around) has a sweet looking 2006 TW200 with 1400 miles on it, never been off road. We were joking around yesterday about bikes, etc and he said I needed to get one to "run around with" at my beach house. He said the wife will love it. BELIEVE IT OR NOT the wife saw it out in my driveway this morning (neighbor thought it would be funny and put it in my driveway last night) and the wife actually commented, unsolicited, that "that would be cool to have at the beach to run errands with."

The bike is perfect mechanically, no doubt. My neighbor is a superb mechanic and in fact is rebuilding both a Seadoo and a yamaha jet engine on 2 boats, as we speak. So as to the mechanics of the bike, that's not my concern - it's near perfect. Plus, I used to ride 30 years ago - larger cruisers but haven't been on one since 1983. I could do most repairs/maintenance myself back in the day.

He said I could have it for 3 grand. I had no idea of the pricing so I went to NADA and say retail around 14-1900. So I am in a quandary. What's a fair price for the bike? Mind you, this guy fixes my stuff on occasion and always will help out. I just paid him back last week with a ten grand settlement on his 87 jeep, which was tapped in a parking lot wreck and the insurance company only offered him 2 grand for the jeep,totaled. It wasn't totaled and I sued and settled for 10K. ON A 25 yr old jeep! Of course, I didn't charge him a cent when most lawyers will suck 33% out of him. I don't operate that way as on my street, the guys always help each other out and this was the first time in 20 years I could return his favors over the years. The point is, he's a good dude. Anyway, I figured he was hooking me up at 3 grand, until I saw the NADA price.

Seems not a hook up, but I will be defer to you all, who are the experts. Thanks in advance for your opinions!

Tom in Maryland

See thread is this subforum titled '$3000 for a 2001". Same discussion pertains. In my eyes its not really fair to say "I got mine for . . .". We all like bargains, but not all of us get them. For me a known bike is worth bigger price than an unknown or dubious one. Compare what you are paying with the out the door price at a dealer and you are saving money for the few miles that it has on it. JMHO. The bottom line is the bike is fun. Tom
    Tom - TW200 2002, Kawasaki VN 500 2006

Hidden Content

Central New Mexico

Chances are if he puts it on CL it won't fetch $3k. One in San Diego with similar mileage sold a few months ago for $2,100...down from the original asking price of $2,500. I'd share the BB value with him, and offer $2k and see where it goes...couldn't hoyt.
    “One final paragraph of advice: do not burn yourselves out. Be as I am - a reluctant enthusiast....a part-time crusader, a half-hearted fanatic. Save the other half of yourselves and your lives for pleasure and adventure. It is not enough to fight for the land; it is even more important to enjoy it. While you can. While it’s still here. So get out there and hunt and fish and mess around with your friends, ramble out yonder and explore the forests, climb the mountains, bag the peaks, run the rivers, breathe deep of that yet sweet and lucid air, sit quietly for a while and contemplate the precious stillness, the lovely, mysterious, and awesome space. Enjoy yourselves, keep your brain in your head and your head firmly attached to the body, the body active and alive, and I promise you this much; I promise you this one sweet victory over our enemies, over those desk-bound men and women with their hearts in a safe deposit box, and their eyes hypnotized by desk calculators. I promise you this; You will outlive the bastards.”

― Edward Abbey

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I bought my 2008 for $3400 BRAND NEW. If is stock and a 2001...no way $3000 is a good deal.
    Hidden Content [/IMG]It's not why, but why not. Do it for the right reason now, versus the wrong reason later.
    Born on a Honda Z50, '78 YZ 80, '79 Husky WR 250

2008 TDub--Jimbo Shield, Lizard Oil Cooler, Blaster Shock, YZ Hybrid Forks, Supermoto front fender, ATV Bars, Acerbis Brake Cover, 1460 Pelican Case, Cycle Rack, Power Core, Gold Chain.

Hidden Content

Thanks for the help. Anyone else gonna' chime in? Would 2K be fair to all? Or still too much? Are these bikes as famous/popular as he is claiming? Thanks!

MSRP in '06 was $3749.

2K would be fair, slightly biased toward buyer. 2.5K biased toward seller.

West coast values. YMMV

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

For what it's worth I just picked up a MINT condition 2003 with 2k miles for $1600.00. And when I say mint I mean spotless. At 3K for a used bike spend the extra 400 and go NEW

Quote Originally Posted by TWBUSHMAN View Post
    For what it's worth I just picked up a MINT condition 2003 with 2k miles for $1600.00. And when I say mint I mean spotless. At 3K for a used bike spend the extra 400 and go NEW

New bikes are well north of 4k. Some body on here got a NOS bike for 3800, supposedly, but that is the lowest i've heard lately.

dan

OC,

Seems like you are a guy that believes in being a good neighbor, so I will impart a bit of wisdom it took me 50+ years to figure out.

You can be as good of a neighbor as you want, doesn't mean it will be reciprocated.

3K is a steep price for an '06. There is some comfort in knowing the history, but I won't buy/sell to my friends anymore. I would rather have the friendship than the deal. And if things go sour, which they could, you are left living next to an adversary.

Ole Dad used to say "Never crap in your own backyard".

Good luck.

Bag

Post Script, as for your other question, yes, these bikes are great nitch bikes. I think of them as the Canoe of the motorcycle world. Capable of nearly anything reasonable, if your patient.
    "The TW may be slow, but the Earth is patient" - MK

"If I'm wrong, and it turns out that you hate it, I'll send you all my Barry Manilow albums." LB

Hidden Content

the Coastal Empire (i.e. islands outside Savannah)
    1st) I completely agree with Bagger. Deals betweens friends can be the worste idea.

2nd) What else is included in that price? Since he's a mechanic I would expect him to have spare parts (chains, gaskets, filters, etc.), does it have racks or anything else on it? Is he including future maintance on the bike (oil changes, etc.)? Did you ask him if that is the friend price, not the stranger price?

Worse case just be honest with him and tell him you like it, want it, but just not at that price and if he could do better you would be interested. Leave it up to him to come up with a better offer, rather than making him an offer that he might find insulting.
    Forever grateful for all your help brother
    2005 TW wrecked in 14 and rebuilt in 17. 06 donor parts and new OEM, Carb jetted & shimmed, 04 XT225 gas tank, UNI air filter, Shinko 241 front, modded Krator pegs, IMS folding shifter, JT 14/47 sprockets, huge car horn, tool tube, DR8EIX plug, short rear signals, Cycleracks rear, All Balls steering bearings, Protaper ATV High bars, OEM Kickstarter with more to come...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links