carrying the TW on a front mounted rack?
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: carrying the TW on a front mounted rack?

carrying the TW on a front mounted rack?

I love to pull my tiny [email protected] trailer behind my 1994 Toyota Land Cruiser--no way I can put a motorcycle rack on the back of the little trailer.
    Does anyone have any experience with a front bumper mounted rack on a Cruiser? Trying to figure out a way to bring both on road trips...

thanks
    littletommy and jtomelliott49 like this.

Mike- Way back in 1972 I used to have a 1972 FJ40 with the hoop carriers on the front bumper. I used it for a Trail 90 and even a 250 AJS. No ramp, just pure strength. My only complaint was the bike blocked some of the FJ's headlights at night.
    littletommy and jtomelliott49 like this.
    1998 HD FLHTC

2004 TW200

2004 TW200

I think that most guys get a frame mounted 2" receiver installed in the front. Then there are a variety of rail type carriers that you could use. I believe that the TW would be a bit more than a bumper mounted carrier could handle.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

You say a "tiny" trailer. Depending on how tiny; Versa-Hauler M/C carrier has a receiver hitch on the back allowing you to pull a trailer behind your M/C. Look at the VH Sport specs.

"The VH-SPORT has a Class III hitch on the end of the carrier. It is limited to light-duty applications. The max towing weight, regardless of your vehicle, is 3000 lbs."

This is the part for my 2017 Tundra only problem is I have to remove to change the oil. https://www.amazon.com/CURT-31198-Fr...t+2+inch+hitch

Quote Originally Posted by moab mike View Post
    I love to pull my tiny [email protected] trailer behind my 1994 Toyota Land Cruiser--no way I can put a motorcycle rack on the back of the little trailer.
    Does anyone have any experience with a front bumper mounted rack on a Cruiser? Trying to figure out a way to bring both on road trips...

thanks
    I tow my travel trailer and front mount my bike on my tundra. 2" receiver. No problem.
    jtomelliott49 and littletommy like this.

the versahaul sport: that's the ticket!
    the little trailer weighs less than a ton.

Quote Originally Posted by moab mike View Post
    the versahaul sport: that's the ticket!
    the little trailer weighs less than a ton.
    Yeah, I have used that behind my Tundra pulling an Aliner at about 1500 lbs. for 7 years now. I did have to install air bags or I would have been on the axle. About 55 lbs in them does the ticket. It handles very nicely, but on an FJ40 you might experience twitchiness above 55-60 due to the shorter wheelbase.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

Maybe I'm missing something but a narrow flange 8" wide channel 6' long oughta make one of those pretty quick. Add the tie downs on each end and some 2" square tube and you're done for probably under $100. Of course you gotta be able to weld too.

I have one of the HF brand that's suppose to handle 300 lbs but it sure is shaky with the TW on it. Been thinking about beefing it up some.
    littletommy likes this.
    Somewhere along the way I've lost the ability to act politically correct. Should you find it, please feel free to keep it.

I've been happy with the B-Dawg motorcycle carrier with towing option. I had to get air suspension installed on my SUV to handle the weight of the motorcycle, but that was fairly inexpensive especially since I opted to not use an onboard air compressor. I have two schrader valves mounted under the rear bumper and it's easy to use those to pump up the suspension when I need it. I towed a TW200 on the carrier and a small trailer loaded with a large ATV (Polaris Sportsman Touring) from Sacramento, CA to St. George, UT without any problem. In UT I cruised at 70 mph since they don't have a speed restriction when towing and everything stayed smooth and easy to handle.

IMG_0705.JPG
    littletommy likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links