Ever Been Injured On Your TW
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree108Likes

Thread: Ever Been Injured On Your TW

Ever Been Injured On Your TW

I have been dirt riding for over 60 years and never had an injury...so this morning's call from a riding friends wife was a bummer.

Dan is 48 and I know he is a careful rider. He went out Saturday evening alone after dinner and when he was not home by 10:00 pm his wife called the sheriff. Because it was dark no one searched until the next morning. One of our friends located him (out of cell range) about noon on Sunday.

He has a broken collar bone, ribs, wrist, fingers and ankle and looking at several surgeries. He said he was only going about 15 to 20 mph and hit a corner with a sand pocket that threw him off into some rocks. He was wearing a protective riding jacket and pants.

I ride alone and this spooked me a bit. I know crazy riders get injured but anyone else riding carefully ever been injured.

Unfortunately yes, but not seriously like your friend Dan.
    These events tend to happen to me when under seemingly less demanding conditions where I may let my guard down after a more focused period. Thus this may not qualify for the “riding carefully” caveat. Staying focused 100% of time is easier said than done when out having a good time. Remembering stories like Dan’s will hopefully tend to make us all a little more focused next time out. Thanks for the reminder.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

One thing I’ve learned in over 40 years of motorcycling, is that looking back over some of the crazy stunts I’ve pulled, it’s usually the everyday normal stuff that’ll catch you out

Maybe it’s simply because it is every day and normal - maybe because we “don’t expect it”

Last major one I had was over 20 years ago, launched a G5 Guzzi across a junction – pedestrians and push bikes everywhere, central London, must have taken that junction over 1000 times before

If you’ve ever ridden a big Guzzi, you’ll appreciate that the single plate dry clutch doesn’t allow for much hesitation, so when I slammed the bike straight into the drivers door of a Skoda Riva (who was coming the wrong way down a one way street at 30mph) it came as quite a surprise – to both me and the driver of the Skoda

Went through the screen, bounced off the roof, and landed still spinning from 5ft in a somewhat undignified heap

Won’t bother you with the list of injuries, suffice to say there were a “few”

But the point is, that shit happens when you least expect it – such is the nature of the beast

Hope Dan recovers – but I’d have been out there looking for him all night if that was what it takes ……

As to your implied question – riding solo off road is not without risks (as Dan found out) – but if we don’t take those risks, we’d hardly get out half the time

There was a local guy here a few weeks ago who was walking and got stuck in mud (he was 70+) – they found him shaken, not stirred, some 8 hrs later ……..
    admiral, littletommy and Ken like this.
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by RikR View Post
    I have been dirt riding for over 60 years and never had an injury...so this morning's call from a riding friends wife was a bummer.

Dan is 48 and I know he is a careful rider. He went out Saturday evening alone after dinner and when he was not home by 10:00 pm his wife called the sheriff. Because it was dark no one searched until the next morning. One of our friends located him (out of cell range) about noon on Sunday.

He has a broken collar bone, ribs, wrist, fingers and ankle and looking at several surgeries. He said he was only going about 15 to 20 mph and hit a corner with a sand pocket that threw him off into some rocks. He was wearing a protective riding jacket and pants.

I ride alone and this spooked me a bit. I know crazy riders get injured but anyone else riding carefully ever been injured.

Wow, ouch, oofta! Did he have one of those locator beacon type devices with him? (InReach, SPOT, etc). Protection can only prevent so much and we all take the risk of injury. Once healed he will have a good campfire story to tell.

Not from an accident but potentially so, and after an unintended all night ride with one of my son's and a called off Search and Rescue, I always have a SPOT thanks to forum member Gerry (mrgizmo) who gave me one of his old SPOT's which still works great for this type of situation.

Me. Yes, I broke my foot out on a solo ride. Rode several miles back to the trailhead, loaded up TW on the trailer, and drove straight to the hospital. Painful. I also now ride with MX boots no matter what, on or off road. Only need to break my foot once to figure out it's better to deal with clumsy boots than a broken foot.

I should add that after I hit my foot on the boulder while crossing the creek, once across I got off the TW and sat down for about 45 minutes trying to catch my breath. I know I was in shock and it was really hard to stop sweating and for my breaths to slow down. Didn't count on the back tire sliding over while I was exiting the creek which is how I ended up so close to the boulder with my foot.

Good luck to your friend.
    littletommy and Ken like this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Sorry to hear about your buddy...hope he mends well.

Only one unplanned dismount for me, but I've been riding for less than a year. Was easing down through a fairly steep washout, 1st gear, crawling, riding the rear brake. The dirt in the washout was still loose, the front wheel when up on a rock about the size of a softball and it rolled it to one side. Pointing downwards, the front hopping over less than a foot was more than enough to toss me over and forward on the left side. I was wearing my heavy riding jacket but my forearm still got torn up to the point that it was bleeding in a couple places, bashed my elbow and then my hand (tore a big hole in the palm of my leather glove). The glove saved me from getting even a mark on the heel of my hand, and the jacket didn't get torn or even abraided...yet my forearm hit the rocks hard enough to break the skin through a layer of jacket, the elbow pad (foam), and another later of material that holds the pad in.
    Not a horrific crash, or even much of an interesting story, but....it sure gave me a wake-up call about just how important the gear is. That was a month ago, and my elbow and wrist are still tender. I had no idea a crash at a walking speed would be forceful enough to rip leather gloves and break skin through the jacket and pads. It gave me a whole new respect for physics, and a warning about how bad an accrual 'accident' with any speed involved could be.
    littletommy, Fred, Ken and 1 others like this.

My son was standing in the ski lift line when someone was standing on the tails of his skis and he fell over - broke both ankles - no speed necessary
    littletommy and Ken like this.

Sorry to hear about Dan. I couldn't imagine being hurt and stranded in an isolated area waiting for someone to find me. Fortunately most of the areas I ride have cell service.
    It's threads like this that get people thinking about there personal safety.

I did break my ankle riding my TW.

https://tw200forum.com/forum/general-...roken-leg.html
    If I’m ever on LIFE SUPPORT, UNPLUG ME. Then plug me back in... See if that works. Hidden Content

TW 2006 Ruth
    TW 1988 Black Widow.
    1994 Harley FXR

Rick

Minor physical injuries, major pride injuries for me! Sore ribs right now from a little tumble in the yard.
    2013 Yamaha TW200

1996 Yamaha TW200

1995 Kawasaki KLR650

2002 Yamaha RoadStar 1600 with sidecar

Only one broken leg. I reset the bone and rode back to town.
    It was a small water crossing and I think I hit with the front wheel, a greasy skull of a previously unlucky rider.
    At least that was what it felt like just before I screamed very loudly to inform all the bears in the area that dinner was served.
    Purple, littletommy, Mel and 5 others like this.
    Phelonius

Ken
    When I first got my TW I was learning to go down tight trails and flew off landing on my fist. I dislocated a rib.
    littletommy likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links