Close call - be careful out there on the hiway!
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    A fellow TDubber very nearly got run over today on Route 50 in Colorado at Monarch Pass. Some...some....."knucklehead" (trying to keep it clean here) driving a camper rig down the mountain crossed over the double yellow line to pass the guy in front of him just as our fellow TDubber was coming up the mountain. Thankfully our friend on the TW was alert and quick and got off to the side of the road or he'd have been toast. Be careful on the hiways out there friends!

As a TW rider occasionally riding slower than traffic and less conspicuous than a cager coming from the other way, and a bicyclist who is often riding the white line and alert to oncoming traffic, I know that folks are often unalert enough to focus on that small image in front of them. Defense is the best method for avoiding problems from oncoming passers - they'll claim they didn't see you every time. Ride defensively and stay well. Tom
    Tom - TW200 2002, Kawasaki VN 500 2006

Hidden Content

Central New Mexico

Quote Originally Posted by pastor-teacher View Post
    A fellow TDubber very nearly got run over today on Route 50 in Colorado at Monarch Pass. Some...some....."knucklehead" (trying to keep it clean here) driving a camper rig down the mountain crossed over the double yellow line to pass the guy in front of him just as our fellow TDubber was coming up the mountain. Thankfully our friend on the TW was alert and quick and got off to the side of the road or he'd have been toast. Be careful on the hiways out there friends!

Unfortunately this kind of thing is way too common. I've had enough people apparently not see me coming when I'm driving my Suburban to develop a kind of hyper-vigilance about other motorists while 2-wheeling it.

On my second commute riding my TW (I'm up to 4 now!) an off-duty AMBULANCE pulled out in front of me. I guess there's worse vehicles to get into a wreck with, but fortunately I was able to stop in time.

The best advice I've seen on here is to pretend that you're invisible when you're out riding. Assume that every car will pull out in front of you, every motorist won't see you coming, and the car in the next lane actually is about to merge into you and when it really happens you'll be ready.
    2011 TW200 - Sold - after 9700 miles and 1,000,000 smiles. So long Tee Dub!
    2012 KLR650
    - Sold
    2013 Tiger Explorer XC
    2014 CB500X - RRP L3

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

2nd that! In MMI we had a discussion about how people don't look for motorcycles. It's true. If a driver does not look specifically for something, they simply don't see it. It's a psychological thing. In drivers ed they talk about watching out for cars, train crossings, kids running out in the street, but for some reason, they seem to put a low priority or skip completely the idea of being aware of a popular vehicle sharing the road with them, the motorcycle.

We're not invisible, most of the time, far from it! We're just not consciously looked for! As riders, we're aware of cyclist, if for no other reason, we want to see what the other person is riding. To quote Bubbles, "Keep your head on a swivel boys" m.

I work on the side of the road in a road construction environment....with a bright red truck, a box that's 11' long and 8' wide with reflective stickers, with bright yellow flashing lights on top and on the corners of the box....I feel no one sees me. It's frustrating, but it's just the way it is. Drivers don't see any sized object out there. If you put a barn out on the interstate, people would drive right into it.

It's just a reminder to not allow one's self to assume that any knows you are there and to think about the curve ahead. Drive with an escape path in mind at all times. Speed up or slow down to give yourself that path or get in the eyes of another driver. Look and make eye contact with other drivers. And, as your friend found out, keep an eye out for them.
    Sold bike.

Youtube vids of old TW's acceleration:

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

When cagers begin being charged with involuntary manslaughter many fewer motorcyclists will die. I suppose the politicians find filling prisons with minor drug offenses significantly more profitable.

2nd that too Q! m.

Since I started wearing Hi-Vis Green (with wide reflective bands) and using hi-beam in daylight hours,I believe they see me more often. The safety gear won't stop an out-of-control cage, but it can help steer the other ones around me. The mesh construction type over shirt has become part of my every-ride-gear.

BS
    "Ride 'till the sun goes down, then go home', (or camp out, like I do)

2012 DR 650

2009 T-Dub

2004 GL 1800

2002 Moto Guzzi EV

2000 Moto Guzzi Quota

1976 Moto Guzzi Convert

Well, I had a basketball shoot out from under the car in front of me today. Going 55 and missed it by inches with the front wheel... Anything can come at us!
    Something witty...

2005 & 2010 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty View Post
    When cagers begin being charged with involuntary manslaughter many fewer motorcyclists will die. I suppose the politicians find filling prisons with minor drug offenses significantly more profitable.
    AMEN!!!!!
    '13 690 Enduro R too many frickin farkles...
    '07 KLX250 farkled (wife's bike)
    '86 BW80 farkled to size
    '10 TW200 you will be missed

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links