Insurance
Close

Thread: Insurance

Got both the bikes at the cabin now. With my wife being an insurance exec, we're trying to figure out the best insurance for guest riders. We upped our umbrella coverage to $5 million, but are concerned with our m/c carrier (different than our homeowners which has the umbrella coverage) jacking the rates up for guest riders. Anyone have this kind of coverage? Wife thinks we need a $500k policy on the bikes for the umbrella coverage to stick in case of a lawsuit. F-ed up world we live in...
    “One final paragraph of advice: do not burn yourselves out. Be as I am - a reluctant enthusiast....a part-time crusader, a half-hearted fanatic. Save the other half of yourselves and your lives for pleasure and adventure. It is not enough to fight for the land; it is even more important to enjoy it. While you can. While it’s still here. So get out there and hunt and fish and mess around with your friends, ramble out yonder and explore the forests, climb the mountains, bag the peaks, run the rivers, breathe deep of that yet sweet and lucid air, sit quietly for a while and contemplate the precious stillness, the lovely, mysterious, and awesome space. Enjoy yourselves, keep your brain in your head and your head firmly attached to the body, the body active and alive, and I promise you this much; I promise you this one sweet victory over our enemies, over those desk-bound men and women with their hearts in a safe deposit box, and their eyes hypnotized by desk calculators. I promise you this; You will outlive the bastards.”

― Edward Abbey

Yeah steve, we live in Ca. My wife is a court clerk. I hear too many court horror stories. You got to cover yer ass!

The law of the universe seems to dictate that if we buy the extra insurance, then nothing will ever happen while guests are using your bikes. (That has some kind of $$ value right there.) But if the unthinkable happens, at least you can prove that you were being thy brother’s keeper, which is about the only good defense in a Ca. court. m.

Allowing anyone to ride your motorcycle is bad policy.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I have 2...one for the wife and buddies who come up to hunt, fish or(hopefully) ride.
    “One final paragraph of advice: do not burn yourselves out. Be as I am - a reluctant enthusiast....a part-time crusader, a half-hearted fanatic. Save the other half of yourselves and your lives for pleasure and adventure. It is not enough to fight for the land; it is even more important to enjoy it. While you can. While it’s still here. So get out there and hunt and fish and mess around with your friends, ramble out yonder and explore the forests, climb the mountains, bag the peaks, run the rivers, breathe deep of that yet sweet and lucid air, sit quietly for a while and contemplate the precious stillness, the lovely, mysterious, and awesome space. Enjoy yourselves, keep your brain in your head and your head firmly attached to the body, the body active and alive, and I promise you this much; I promise you this one sweet victory over our enemies, over those desk-bound men and women with their hearts in a safe deposit box, and their eyes hypnotized by desk calculators. I promise you this; You will outlive the bastards.”

― Edward Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by STEVE IN SOCAL View Post
    I have 2...one for the wife and buddies who come up to hunt, fish or(hopefully) ride.
    Steve- I'm in the same boat with guest riders. I'll be watching the responses.
    1998 HD FLHTC

2004 TW200

2004 TW200

So here's what we ended up doing:

Increase our m/c coverage to $250k/$500k (from $100k/$300k). This allows our umbrella policy, which is with our homeowners policy carrier, to kick in in case of "the big one". We also had to add the bikes to our umbrella policy. Total cost is about $90 per year on top of our regular m/c coverage.

― Edward Abbey

So funny how this differs from state to state.

No Fault here so its a bit different, unless you talking about liability on your property.

Glad you got it figured out.

Sponosred Links