Watch for the scams!
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Watch for the scams!

Watch for the scams!

I am sure we are all sending well wishes and prayers to those affected by this epic storm. In the coming weeks, months and years be very cautious with things you might buy from auction sites, CL and even from unscrupulous vehicle dealers.

Some bikes such as the TW can take a deep water dunking and be brought back from the depths with a lot of attention. Hard parts are usually OK after being drowned but electrical parts are often useless. Vehicles, Trucks, Cars and sophisticated MCs are a completely different story. There will be millions of vehicles that were completely submerged and all should have salvage titles if they have titles at all.

I am not saying we should not buy things that have been dunked but just be aware that many sellers will not be honest and anything you do buy will need to be washed, rinsed in fresh water and properly dried. This water is a mix of rain and salt water so I would avoid anything electrical that I can't physically disassemble and thoroughly clean. Just be very careful in the coming months and expect to see a lot of items offered for sale that might have been in these flood zones.

​​​​​​​GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Good point Gary.
    But what’s a little rust to the discerning buyer?images.jpeg
    I also saw a great deal on a cruiser with it’s own swimming pool.affairs01.jpg
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Bit of a Fixerupper.
    Ken, SanDue, littletommy and 1 others like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Good point Gary.
    But what’s a little rust to the discerning buyer?images.jpeg
    I bet that some Eastwood rust converter would fix that good as new.
    admiral, SanDue and littletommy like this.

I heard on the news last night approx. 300, 000 cars/trucks were lost in Houston alone.
    SanDue, admiral and littletommy like this.

Not TW's but I might know of a guy who has a couple Shrimp Boats for sale.

This is a picture I took after Katrina.

grewen, Fred, SanDue and 1 others like this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Lots of used cars with electrical ghosts in them.

GaryL makes a good point. Often these vehicles make there way to other market areas where buyers are not thinking about water damage. After Katrina we saw a lot in the DFW area. Water in the transmission, electrical, etc. Always practice due diligence when buying used.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk
    littletommy, SanDue and Fred like this.

Welcome to the forum!!
    Quote Originally Posted by NatureBoyFatAdam View Post
    GaryL makes a good point. Often these vehicles make there way to other market areas where buyers are not thinking about water damage. After Katrina we saw a lot in the DFW area. Water in the transmission, electrical, etc. Always practice due diligence when buying used.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk
    SanDue likes this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

There is no real issue if you are buying a submerged TW parts bike. You just have to jump right on the parts you want from it and get them cleaned and dried out. Electrical parts are certainly suspect but most of the rest can be rescued as long as you don't allow it to sit for long. All of those trucks we see plowing through 3-4 feet of water are in for a major and rather sad surprise and when ever I see a vehicle or TW driving on a sandy and salty beach it just makes me cringe. There is not a single used car or truck I would touch if it comes from a flood zone in recent years.

When I retired we went on vacation to Florida. While there and staying at a friends nice home a woman 2 homes up passed away. Her family was there cleaning out the house and getting it ready for sale. We made an offer right then and there and they accepted it. 2 months later I had to return to Florida to do the final closing on buying the home. I insisted on doing a final inspection before handing over my money and the lawyer was very reluctant to allow me to inspect. I was not buying the house until I was able to see what shape they left it in after we made our initial offer. When I did get in to inspect it I found that the last person to leave the house after all the furniture was out had flushed the toilet, clogged it up and it ran over for 5 full days filling the entire home with 4 inches of water. Every wall had black mold growing up the dry wall and the carpets had fungus growing on them. They and their lawyer had every intention of taking my money, selling me the house without ever telling me of this serious issue. Once I saw the damage I broke the contract and came back home. 2 years later we again went to our friends house on vacation and the home we tried to buy was totally gone with just a cement pad left that was in the beginning of a new home being built. The new owner told me that the house was sold as is for half of what we were buying it for and that buyer tried to clean out the mold but let the bank foreclose on it because there was no fixing it. The bank tore it down and sold the lot with the cement pad to this new owner. People are dishonest and lawyers are no different. Buying a pig in a poke is always a very bad idea unless you are getting it for less than nothing.

GaryL
    littletommy and Fred like this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links