Is the TW good for me?
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: Is the TW good for me?

Post Is the TW good for me?

Hello everyone,

Excited to be posting for the first time, have been following this forum for the past two years.

Took my MSF class and passed two years ago and due to work and "relationship" challenges, was not considering or could even afford a bike until now. I've been a fan of the TW's since I first laid eyes on them in the 90's and being a beginner rider, I figured this would be a bike that I'd like to get into and probably never trade in, but just add to my collection down the line. Would be doing a little trail riding but mostly little short trips around town (no major highway driving).

I do however have a couple concerns. First and foremost, I am 6ft 2, 230lbs and every time I have visited a dealer in the past they have tried to talk me out of the TW and rather tried to talk me into a bigger dual sport, saying that I'm too big for the TW. Do you feel that this is true?

Secondly, I've been watching craigslist and also cycle trader and used TW's do not come up a lot around my area, but rather a lot of brand new 2017's and 2018's. In your advice, would you wait for something used to come up or take the plunge for a new unit?

Appreciate all of your feedback.
    SanDue, Howsbentley, Ken and 2 others like this.

Welcome to the forum!!

You are not too big. There are taller and much rounder folks around here that love their TW's. Add a couple inches of bar risers and you're ready to go...
    Quote Originally Posted by GMOORE55 View Post
    Hello everyone,

Excited to be posting for the first time, have been following this forum for the past two years.

Took my MSF class and passed two years ago and due to work and "relationship" challenges, was not considering or could even afford a bike until now. I've been a fan of the TW's since I first laid eyes on them in the 90's and being a beginner rider, I figured this would be a bike that I'd like to get into and probably never trade in, but just add to my collection down the line. Would be doing a little trail riding but mostly little short trips around town (no major highway driving).

I do however have a couple concerns. First and foremost, I am 6ft 2, 230lbs and every time I have visited a dealer in the past they have tried to talk me out of the TW and rather tried to talk me into a bigger dual sport, saying that I'm too big for the TW. Do you feel that this is true?

Secondly, I've been watching craigslist and also cycle trader and used TW's do not come up a lot around my area, but rather a lot of brand new 2017's and 2018's. In your advice, would you wait for something used to come up or take the plunge for a new unit?

Appreciate all of your feedback.
    SanDue, Fred, Ken and 4 others like this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

I'm 6'4", 236lbs (down from 260 since June ), and I LOVE my TW!

Guys our size usually install the heavy-duty springs available through Pro-Cycle, and as LittleTommy mentioned, handlebar risers help out as well.

I'd say hold out for a good used bike. Most of the used TWs I've seen have less than 3K miles, and are about half the price of a new one... but may have deferred maintenance issues depending on the age.

Where are you located (in general)?
    Now I must hurry on... for there they go, and I am their leader!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

1) will not hurt AS much when you crash on a used bike.

2) like many say; nice to save $ if you can on a good used bike. I'm the odd one out. In over 40 years: only two new cars; but all new bikes.

3) as a total novice, if problems creep up on a used bike; it may get really frustrating - compared to "generally" that nice new vehicle dependability.

Welcome and good luck.

Ken
    Welcome to the forum.

Welcome to the forum. I have found quite a few used tw's around but seem pricy compared to what I paid for a new one.

Is the TW good for me?

Welcome from West TN to the forum!
    I'm exactly your height and weight and the Yamadog TW200 fits well with a bit of tweaking. IMHO It's an old guy's Honda trail 70, fat tires, street legal, trail bike. I looked for months til I found a used one with low miles at a fair price. You'll need the $ saved in used versus new for gear and upgrades. It never ends lol. Once I get the bike set up like I want, I'll have to buy more riding and camping gear. This forum and 30 years of same design makes for easy repairs and readily available parts. Get one asap!!!
    #GYG

Edit: an old Mc guy told me, oh wait that was me talking. if you are interested in a particular bike, don't buy used unless you are a mechanic or can find an online forum of experienced helpful fanatics of that bike. The existence of this forum is reason enough to own one!#!!!

'13 TW200

A.T.
    Last edited by Howsbentley; 09-02-2017 at 07:28 AM.

Buy New!

Less problems ...under warranty. Find a good dealer with a good repair staff, and make a deal, don't fall for all the add on prices, deal, deal, deal....I would go for a 2017{or even older, quite a few "New" 15s and 16s out there} they want them gone{plus I like the colors better} ...Good Luck and Welcome to the Forum!
    Hoot's Ride Slide Show Music Videos

Hidden Content

TW Adventure Rides Completed
    March 2015 Moab: With 30 TW Forum Friends..
    Summer 2015 Great Lakes, Wisconsin, UP of Michigan, With Borneo and Montezuma
    November 2015: SE Ohio/West Virginia w/ Borneo and Montezuma
    March 2016: Big Bend NP in South Texas w/ Montezuma, Borneo, Ebbanflood and FW Gary
    August 2016: Montezuma and Hoot's Covered Bridge Ride in Southern Indiana

I'm 200 lb + 30 lb of gear. It's not a highway bike so with stock gearing I like mine at 50 mph max. At your weight going to a rear gear like 45 wot help on the highway. It's a lousy motocross bike but for all around use it's great. It's forgiving and has a low seat height since you are a new rider. You may ride a TW for awhile and decide you want to hit the highway more so just sell it at that point or add a more road capable bike. The dealers may be looking at your weight and you hitting the highway and being disappointed. If I seriously wanted to hit the highway much more I'd be looking at 400 cc or so but then the weight goes up and the feel is completely different off road. I have talked to big guys who also had 650 dual sports who sold them because they could hardly pick it up.

Welcome from KS. I always go used, as I'm on the cheap side. I also feel that if you find a good used one, you can sell it later on if you want something different. And you might want something different, but that doesn't mean you can't have two different motorcycles. They're not wives, they are motorcycles. They like company in the garage! lol.
    littletommy and Howsbentley like this.
    Tom in Wichita

78 Moto Guzzi SP1000
    87 Yamaha TW200
    99 Yamaha TW200
    03 Honda Shadow Spirit (girlfriend's ride)
    74 Moto Guzzi Eldorado Police model (in many pieces)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links