Where Are Our Local Officials
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Good Afternoon All,

This is the first time I've spoke out on this subject in this manor, however I feel I must. I just spent the most wonderful day on my TW, riding mountain roads (county gravel) and old 19th century roads finding places my son and I use to go to before he went to Heaven five years ago. The memories came rushing back every time I rounded a familiar corner on the trail, when I found a spring we had drank from on a hot Southern day like today. I also found one of our beautiful bluff camp sites that you can see two towns 30 miles apart at nite at the same time. I also visited a Mill site the local farmers used to bring their corn and wheat to be stone ground back in the 1800 and early 1900's.

I'm telling you all this because it's going away. A few land owners here have persuaded the local officials to allow them to gate off these county grave county roads to everyone, except paying hunting clubs that lease the farmers lands. The explanation for allowing this is "The "Riff-Raff" that comes in all hours of the day and nite and parties back in a couple of places." What was expressed to me was, "They make too much noise when they pass my house." This home is on a major black top where the gravel road joins it (50 feet then silence).

I understand the explanation, I just can't believe this is the only solution. Because of "the noise in a 50 foot area and beer cans, me and others like me who just enjoy the wilderness rides are now being locked out, because of our local politicians choices. These are roads that have in some cases been there for hundreds of years, the primary ones they are closing have county numbers on current road maps.

I hope NO ONE ELSE loses memories this way.

Always

Larry

Its happening in indiana too! There have been a bunch of unmaintained county roads closed in the last few years. There are a few guys on advrider from indiana who are in the process of seeing what we the dual sport riders can do about it.

I don't want to make this political but; It is the Golden Rule: If you have the Gold, you make the rules.

Louis Black has a Succinct way of describing situations like this: YOUR F...ED.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

What Ron said.

Around here the trails are reserved for hikers, pedal bikers and horses and it has been that way for 40 years. I was lucky to get a taste of the trails when gasoline was OK on them way back when.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

IF they are county roads, & not private, you may have a legal case for "Right of way." Depending on who in your community you can get behind you, you may be able to make a case to forbid them from closing the roads, due to the fact that they have been public roads for upwards of 100 years. I know fighting in court is sh*tty business, but if you can find a local attorney who has an interest in keeping the roads open, that person may support your cause for little to no $$! This is where a good community comes into play, if you can talk to your neighbours, find an attorney, start a petition, you just might succeed. Pro-active? You decide. m.
    1997 TW with some modsHidden Content Pike'n the Boont region since 1989!

Have a Bahl Dee! Hidden Content

I see this from time to time here in Southern Arizona too (of all places!) Some developer carves up a chunk of desert adjacent to State or Federal land into custom home lots and puts a guardhouse between the county maintained road and the old trailhead.

I can understand why the new owner of a $1,000,000 custom home wouldn't be crazy about the idea of dirty desert rats like me kicking up dust that might clog their pool filters, and I would never presume to trespass onto another man's property, but it seems to me that if the public loses their access to public lands then said lands aren't so public anymore.

Go ahead and put a gate up at the end of your driveway, it's honestly not a bad idea in this part of the country, but don't block a previously public road that provides access to public lands.
    2011 TW200 - Sold - after 9700 miles and 1,000,000 smiles. So long Tee Dub!
    2012 KLR650
    - Sold
    2013 Tiger Explorer XC
    2014 CB500X - RRP L3

Fighting that battle here too. And on the snow.

Around here, pretty much if you like something with a motor, your evil!

Hang in there and keep it in folks faces. Usually most folks don't even know what's going on around them.

Bag
    "The TW may be slow, but the Earth is patient" - MK

"If I'm wrong, and it turns out that you hate it, I'll send you all my Barry Manilow albums." LB

Hidden Content

Until the early 90's All the private forest land round my part of the world was unlocked and open for all to use. Now it's locked up tight because of abuse and it sucks.

Hell a few months ago some folks started stealing the gates to sell as scrap.

I remember when it was kosher for a kid to ride around forest roads and at ocean beaches, now it's jail time.

Right now the tree huggers rule. Hopefully that will change.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

I'm sorry to say it's only going to get worse. With little or no money to maintain or patrol these areas most management groups take the easy way out and just close them to public access. We had it happen in this area to several parks and boat ramps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links