Model year preference
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Model year preference

Model year preference

Hi,
    I'm brand new to the forum and I'm looking to buy a bike. I'm in my fifties and I started riding dirt bikes back in the 70s. I started on a Honda 50 minibike and over the years I rode just about everything. A Suzuki TS185, PE250, Honda TL250, to name a few, and a bunch of street bikes as well.
    But I haven't been riding in years and after searching the interwebs for dual sport/enduros I discovered the TW200. It sounds like the perfect bike for my kind of riding. Not a lot of street riding, just some riding on the back roads. Not so much to commute, but mostly just to get to the trails.
    I'm a fan of torque over speed. Infact, if trials bikes had a seat and were street worthy I'd be looking for one. But otherwise the TW sounds perfect.
    I'm looking to buy used, and there are a few on Craigslist in central Mass where I live. Everything from brand new to first year bikes.
    My question is, are there any model years that I should avoid? Any problem areas or known weak spots I need to be looking for?
    Thanks in advance.
    littletommy and jtomelliott49 like this.

Your question has been much debated (sometimes even seriously and others just hot air). Here is one link with both strategies. https://tw200forum.com/forum/general-...-wanted-2.html
    It comes down to changes in carbs, brakes in front; kick starter lost, and an iffy electrical system on the 1987 model year. Read and filter some of the opinions about red being faster etc. You can determine the exact years that these changes were made, and its not that many, but you may have to look at several threads to get the entire picture.
    Ken and jtomelliott49 like this.
    Tom - TW200 2002, Kawasaki VN 500 2006

Hidden Content

Central New Mexico

Welcome to the forum!!

They are basically all the same. 87's have a potential CDI problem and they are about 300 bucks to replace and getting harder and harder to find. 87 to 2000 had kickers and drum brakes, 2001 and up did away with the kick start levers and did away with the drum brakes. Disc or Drum, they work about the same and you can add a kicker if you can source the parts, which are also getting hard to find. Just look for a clean, low mileage bike that isn't beat to death. Good Luck!! Keep us posted!!
    Peterb, Howsbentley, Ken and 2 others like this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I am fairly new to the TW200, so I am not in a position to respond re model years.
    However, the type of riding you describe should be great for a TW200.

Riding on the street since 1963, I am on M/C #15 and 9 were used.
    My preference is to see evidence of care and somewhat close to stock, as I would rather change things myself...although, with age, I am more and more just buying and riding.

Other than caution on using oil filters with adhesive blocked holes (4 holes, not 3), I am not aware of any issues.
    If blocked, it is a serious problem for the overhead cam.
    I used the KN143 (many non-fans on this forum), but checked the passages carefully.
    I would have kept using the factory screen (easy to clean and similar to the transmission filter in my Moto Guzzi), but I damaged it the first time I removed it.

My 2017 was fine from factory, other than the carb mixture screw was very lean from the factory.
    Loosen fore and after rubber hose clamps, rotate carb almost 90 degrees, drill out plug and adjust to about 2 1/2 turns out for a good idle and no hesitation response.

Welcome to the Forum!
    2014 Honda CB1100
    2018 Yamaha XT250
    2016 Moto Guzzi V7 II
    2017 Yamaha TW200
    2012 Triumph Bonneville
    2002 H-D Sportster 1200 Sport
    2003 H-D Sportster 883
    1976 Honda CB750F
    1975 Honda CB360
    1970 Yamaha CT1
    1972 Yamaha CT2
    1972 Yamaha AT2/CT2
    1970 Honda SL350
    1970 Honda CL350
    1967 Honda CL160
    1967 Honda CB160
    1962 Honda CA110

Hey, Wickedcoolname, I'd buy this one except I just bought 2 a month ago: https://hartford.craigslist.org/mcy/...300681349.html
    littletommy, jtomelliott49 and Ken like this.

"Me and Mrs Trip, we got a thing going on"... an on-going adventure...
    Hidden Content

"When Piggies Fly" ...Me & Mrs Trip Cross the Pond
    Hidden Content

"Take the Puppy to the Beach"...a dirt route across southern New England
    Hidden Content

Latest Spotwalla: Hidden Content

"Me and Mrs Trip, we got a thing going on"... an on-going adventure...
    Hidden Content

"When Piggies Fly" ...Me & Mrs Trip Cross the Pond
    Hidden Content

"Take the Puppy to the Beach"...a dirt route across southern New England
    Hidden Content

Latest Spotwalla: Hidden Content

Just noticed a 2017 in WI NEW for $3799. I like the older TW's with kick start as a backup.
    2017 XR650l
    2014 NC700X
    2005 ST-1300
    Wanted TW450

Thank you all very much for the replies! I love the fact that these are still carburated, single cylinder, air cooled machines. Brings me back to my youth. Looking forward to getting back in the saddle.

I buy used always. That's cause I'm cheap. I love my '87 TW. I also have a '99. I am one of the "hot air" guys who will tell you the '87 is the fastest year made. And that is hot air. I do think my '87 is faster than my '99, and handles better. But, the PO of my '99 supposedly did fork and rear suspension work on it. I don't think you'll go wrong with a TW, no matter what year you choose.
    Tom in Wichita

78 Moto Guzzi SP1000
    87 Yamaha TW200
    99 Yamaha TW200
    03 Honda Shadow Spirit (girlfriend's ride)
    74 Moto Guzzi Eldorado Police model (in many pieces)

Quote Originally Posted by Wickedcoolname View Post
    Hi,
    I'm brand new to the forum and I'm looking to buy a bike. I'm in my fifties and I started riding dirt bikes back in the 70s. I started on a Honda 50 minibike and over the years I rode just about everything. .
    Hey, you stole my story! :-)
    I just bought a pair of 2013's with next-to-no miles. I'm getting reacquainted with riding a bike, and so far, this is the perfect bike for me. Back in my teen years, I rode a Yamaha YZ 125, and I was fairly crazy. These days, I'm realizing my mortality and I'm just happy I'm able to feel the wind in my face again. It's no longer about how sideways I can flip my bike in the air when I'm 20 feet off the ground - Hell, I'm just happy to still be on top of the ground, instead of under it! My priorities have changed in many ways, but I'm now realizing I should have kept riding.

Good luck in your search. I found mine after looking on craigslist for over a year. One thing that may help you: You can start an account with craigslist and configure it to send you email alerts for bikes that come up. This way, you will have a chance to respond instantly when the deals come up. I found that these bikes hold their value really well, and if a deal comes up, it sells really fast. I searched for "tw200" and "tw 200" this way.
    "

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links