Losing faith in humanity
Close

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree194Likes

Thread: Losing faith in humanity

Losing faith in humanity

Ok guys,

I think i'm loosing faith in humanity.
    I bought a 2008 TW last summer with 450 total miles from a 71 year old man. The bike was pristinely stock until I changed the gearing to a 15 tooth front and 47 tooth rear sprocket, and added a luggage rack and aluminum skid plate. No leaks of any kind and still looks brand new. The old timer said he replaced the battery before the sale. Last winter I did not have it on the battery tender here in upstate NY, and noticed the battery would loose charge within a month if I hadn't run it. It does get down into the minus temps a couple times during a typical winter here. Now it has gotten worse. If I take it off the trickle charger it wont start within minuets. I checked the battery and found it almost empty of juice (acid). The local auto parts store sold me battery acid which I used to top it off and recharged it but it still wont hold a charge. Voltage show the charging system is charging while the bike is running.
    Would a new battery go bad that fast over just one winter? or could the old timer have lied that it was a new battery. is there a way to tell? Deltran battery tenders aren't high amperage, but after a few minuets the bikes starts with no problem from dead battery, and continues to start the rest of the day like nothings wrong.

Baffled,
    littletommy and jtomelliott49 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete H View Post
    Ok guys,

I think i'm loosing faith in humanity.
    I bought a 2008 TW last summer with 450 total miles from a 71 year old man. The bike was pristinely stock until I changed the gearing to a 15 tooth front and 47 tooth rear sprocket, and added a luggage rack and aluminum skid plate. No leaks of any kind and still looks brand new. The old timer said he replaced the battery before the sale. Last winter I did not have it on the battery tender here in upstate NY, and noticed the battery would loose charge within a month if I hadn't run it. It does get down into the minus temps a couple times during a typical winter here. Now it has gotten worse. If I take it off the trickle charger it wont start within minuets. I checked the battery and found it almost empty of juice (acid). The local auto parts store sold me battery acid which I used to top it off and recharged it but it still wont hold a charge. Voltage show the charging system is charging while the bike is running.
    Would a new battery go bad that fast over just one winter? or could the old timer have lied that it was a new battery. is there a way to tell? Deltran battery tenders aren't high amperage, but after a few minuets the bikes starts with no problem from dead battery, and continues to start the rest of the day like nothings wrong.

Baffled,
    I have no reason to doubt the old timer. There have been sooo many instances of brand new batteries failing that I am sure this is just another lemon. I believe the old guy probably didn't follow the directions for preparing his new battery for service. The great news is........... the TW battery is dirt cheap. Or at least it can be.

Tom
    It won't be greed which destroys America. It will be envy.

Man who runs in front of motorcycle gets tired. Man who runs behind motorcycle gets exhausted.

Thank you,

I'll try a replacement and cross my fingers. I love my t-dub. The only bike I own I can hold wide open most of the time and not be killed by.
    If every bike was a T-dub, the world would be a much better place.

Pete

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Thank you,

I'll try a replacement and cross my fingers. I love my t-dub. The only bike I own I can hold wide open most of the time and not be killed by.
    If every bike was a T-dub, the world would be a much better place.

Pete
    Upstate NY is a big place. Where are you located? A few of us over here near the finger lakes region.......

Tom
    littletommy and jtomelliott49 like this.
    It won't be greed which destroys America. It will be envy.

Man who runs in front of motorcycle gets tired. Man who runs behind motorcycle gets exhausted.

Does the battery look like it is one year old or 9 years old? Is it brand name battery or a no name one from ebay?

Most motorcycle batteries are only warrantied for a year or less these days. I know that the last couple that I have purchased only lasted for a year or two, with the sealed AGM ones being the worst in my experience.

I don't know who you should blame - the manufacturer, the old guy, or yourself for not checking fluid level. It really doesn't matter, so just get a new battery with the longest warranty you can get, take good care of it, and hope that you get more than a couple of years out of it.

You could also install a kicker. . . . . . .

I think you killed it. Keep it full and charged throughout the winter next time. A battery that has been boiled dry, then having "juice" added isn't likely to act like a brand new battery again.
    bad luck, JagLite, WECSOG and 7 others like this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

....... I checked the battery and found it almost empty of juice (acid). ..........
    My guess is that the previous owner did not prepare the battery properly.

Lead acid batteries usually come with the acid packaged separately. The purchaser then adds the acid, distilled water, and then charges the battery.

Once the original amount of acid is installed, you should not need to add any more acid for the life of the battery, only distilled water as needed.

Think of this as an opportunity to get rid of a battery that may leak battery acid all over your bike, should it take a spill.

Get an AGM battery that doesn't leak.

jb
    2018 Triumph Street Twin..............2016 CB500F
    2014 XT250 ..................................2008 H-D Softail Deluxe
    2008 SV 650..................................2007 DR 650..

I bought a good, well-known name brand AGM for my TW just because I'd be biking alone all the time and have no kick start. It lasted about 3 weeks and crapped out flat in the middle of a ride. Was fine, then all of a sudden it's like it there wasn't even a battery in the bike. Got it home, charged it overnight, showed good voltage, put a test light on it and it wouldn't even light it up. Online store I bought it from asked for nothing more than a photo of the top of the battery showing the serial number and refunded my money. Put my factory battery back in and have been riding with that all summer without any problem. So...stuff happens. Cold temps are hard on a partially discharged battery.

If a bad battery causes you to lose faith in humanity you'd better prepare yourself for much much worse. Because this will be like nothing compared to what most people experience.

Quote Originally Posted by bad luck View Post
    If a bad battery causes you to lose faith in humanity you'd better prepare yourself for much much worse. Because this will be like nothing compared to what most people experience.
    Said the guy named bad luck. I agree - everyone should be prepared for much worse. AGM are expensive but worth it in my opinion. But if your don't ride in the winter you really need to have any battery on a tender. Even better remove it from the bike and store in the house on a tender. Cheers
    01 SOLD
    96 SOLD
    89 restored SOLD
    89 (restoration in process)
    05 (restoration in process)
    03 SOLD
    04 in great condition

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links