my new TW200
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: my new TW200

I just bought an all original garage kept 98/99 TW200 from my 70 year old neighbor with only 1700 miles for $1500. He bought it from another elder man for about the same price in 2008 but nether of them put hardly any miles on it.

I had seen it sitting in his garage over the last 5 years but it never really interested me as I was into more radical motorcross and supermoto bikes but after my fair share of those it finally attracted my attention. He had been throwing the idea of $1500 around for the last 3 years and it dawned on me what a great trail bike and commuter it would be so I got it. Now I finally see what they are all about. It cruises so smooth at 60 to be able to go off road so easily with awesome gas mileage also. There is just a certain joy riding this bike that a DRZ400SM or Hayabusa just doesn't do.

I really lucked up on the price and condition of this one . I like the fact that it has the kick starter unlike the newer ones and the front drum brakes don't bother me. I think this is one of my favorite paint/color schemes I have seen so far also. Not to modern or not to retro.

Sweet! That is a good color scheme. You are lucky to have the kick starter. Never know when that could come in handy!

Congratulations!

Welcome to club T-dub!
    Hidden Content

2005 TW200 (SOLD)
    2013 DR650

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

congrats on your new ride

Nice bike. Come on in an stay awhile

Welcome to the addiction !

Very nice find, and a beautiful bike.

Bag
    "The TW may be slow, but the Earth is patient" - MK

"If I'm wrong, and it turns out that you hate it, I'll send you all my Barry Manilow albums." LB

Hidden Content

kick starter

with my prosthetic knees, I cannot use the kick starter,

but

just a slight pitch and about 10' rolling and pop from neutral into 2nd and it starts almost immediately !

i keep looking at other bikes (ya I am addicted to motorcycles !)

and I do NOT understand why another company has not designed a similar simple bike, with those wonderful big tires !

I am running the mud tire on the back and street tire on the front, and I do like the ride MUCH better !

Probably just mental, but knowing I have all that solid rubber contacting the road up front instead of those knobs, makes me FEEL better ! Reality, what percentage are these bikes on dirt vs pavement ???

wouldn't street tires be better as standard, with optional knobbies for those who spend more time in the dirt ?

colors .......I have purchased 14 TW's so far, so many different colors !

I DO like the black rims !

em

Quote Originally Posted by Adam38654 View Post
    I just bought an all original garage kept 98/99 TW200 from my 70 year old neighbor with only 1700 miles for $1500.

Great buy on what looks to be a very clean TW. As you've noticed there's just something about these little bikes that spells fun! Welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by CaribbeanTW200 View Post
    Reality, what percentage are these bikes on dirt vs pavement ???

wouldn't street tires be better as standard, with optional knobbies for those who spend more time in the dirt ?

like the black rims !

em

TW stands for Trailway, which means it was designed to be a trail bike so knobbies are appropriate as standard equipment. But yes, the TW is a lot of fun on the street as well. As Qwerty has noted it's not a great stretch of the imagination to have a TW for the dirt, and another set up specifically for the street.
    My handle is B-dub, I ride a T-dub, and drive a V-dub.

Nice find! you will love it. The advantage of the white color is won't show the dirt/dust so quick. I take one ride on my black 89 and its dirty/dusty. It is nice to have the kicker. I had a blown fuse last ride so electric start didn't work. One kick and it started right up and off I went. Looking forward to hearing and seeing your adventure ride reports.
    Mike Carter. Woodland, California (NorCal). '89 Tw200 (Black Widow Edition). Blood red Jimbo shield, Cycleracks, Nuvi 500 GPS, Kolpin fuel pack jr., D shield bark busters, 55t rear sprocket, Golden boy front tire, Ricochet shield.

It came with a dead battery so the kicker has been very useful as I have already took it to the trails friends houses and to work a few times. I need to change the oil and am already considering a small sixpack rack,better handle bars,an oil cooler, better headlight bulb , and different tires once these wear out and I figure out my riding style.

I don't know if it originaly came with passenger pegs but I think it looks better without them and don't plan on using them.

For some reason the muffler is pretty loud. I don't know if he took the packing out or what. There is a dime size hole under the end but I don't think it is threaded for a bolt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links