New Member Looking for TW200
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: New Member Looking for TW200

New Member Looking for TW200

I've been riding ATV's my whole life, I live in Illinois but I ride in Colorado and Utah about once a year. I think a TW200 is in my future, a dealer in my area gave me a price of 4815 OTD. Does this seem reasonable? I've also looked at used and I see prices from the mid $2000 to $3900. What kind of mileage would be considered alot? I like the idea of dual sport being able to ride on the road between trails. My current ATV is an old honda that beats you to death on rough trails but the new ATV's are getting too expensive for me so I'm thinking a TW200 maybe for me. Any advice? Thank you.

In the long run the joy of riding the TW as you plan to will likely overshadow any memories of the purchase price pain. Cannot speak to what should be reasonable Illinois dealer prices. However as riding season is coming to a close perhaps with patience a good used deal may be found.
    These bikes can hold up well over countless thousands of miles. It is a personal decision as to whether saving a thousand dollars or so on a used bike with untold thousands of miles is a good deal or not. Often some of the purchase price savings goes back into replacing aged or worn items like tires.
    Certainly the convenience of a dual sport’s ability to go from public roads to goat trails is a game changer for enjoying Colorado and Utah’s backcountry.
    Good luck on a good plan and a big welcome​.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Welcome!!
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Welcome from Vancouver Island, BC!

Fred's advice is bang-on. In 2014/15 I looked for a used TW for quite awhile without success before resigning myself to get a new one. Then a used 2013 popped up in pristine condition with only 2000 km on it. The asking price wasn't much less than the sticker price on a new one, but I immediately sealed the deal and saved on all the extra dealer costs that get added on. Overall I saved about $1300 Cdn on a bike that was essentially new. Never regretted it. That said, I wouldn't have regretted buying new either. These bikes are just too much fun.

Good luck with your search.
    Last edited by Elvesus; 09-23-2017 at 11:45 AM.
    John in Nanaimo

2013 TW200 - with Shinko 241 front tire, Rox 2" anti-vibe risers, Polisport Touquet handguards, homemade wind deflector, Manracks utility rack

Also look on Cycletrader.com. You may find band new older year models. on sale. Even if not in your area; you can show them the price and see what they can do.
    In Illinois right now they list: dealer in peoria, 2013 564 mi $2,999 - dealer in salem, 2017 160 mi $3,499 - dealer in herrin, New 2017 $3848 - peoria decatur and joliet dealers new $4000 to 4100.

Quote Originally Posted by old w/?? View Post
    Also look on Cycletrader.com. You may find band new older year models. on sale. Even if not in your area; you can show them the price and see what they can do.
    In Illinois right now they list: dealer in peoria, 2013 564 mi $2,999 - dealer in salem, 2017 160 mi $3,499 - dealer in herrin, New 2017 $3848 - peoria decatur and joliet dealers new $4000 to 4100.
    That dealer in Herrin is where I got my price on the new one so with taxes and fees they basically add $1000, I am going to check into the used one with 160 miles though. Thanks

Welcome from KS. Your close neighbor. I am a cheapskate, so I always buy used. I bought both my TW's used. One from a guy from Leavenworth, who met me half way, and the other from a guy in Tucson, AZ. I bought my '87 first with about 3,000 miles for 1,300 bucks, and my '99 for 1,600 with about 5,000 miles. They are out there if you have patience. Best of luck with your search.
    Tom in Wichita

78 Moto Guzzi SP1000
    87 Yamaha TW200
    99 Yamaha TW200
    03 Honda Shadow Spirit (girlfriend's ride)
    74 Moto Guzzi Eldorado Police model (in many pieces)

Wow, nice helpful research Joe!
    All those Cycletrader TWs seem like good machines at good prices, much better that original post’s $4815 OTD.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Personally, I would never even consider buying new. A quick trip though Craigslist and I found several low mileage, recent year TWs, some loaded with after market add-ons in the $2500 to $3500 range, and a bunch of older models u derived $2000.
    I can't think of a single reason to spend close to 5 grand for a single cylinder, air cooled, non-fuel injected trail beater.
    But then I'm one of those guys who hasn't had a car or mortgage payment in years, so I tend to lean towards bargains no matter what I buy.
    Anything bought brand new from a dealer, whether it's a a car, truck, or motorcycle is going straight down in value immediately upon purchase, so to me it just doesn't make sense.

Any TW and any year model with under 500 miles on it is what I would search for. Basically under $3,000 is a decent deal for a nice, low mile TW. I prefer them unmolested and mostly bare stock machines with only add ons that I would have put on anyway. Do an oil and filter change immediately and do it yourself being 100% sure you have the correct oil filter and bleed the top screw in the head to make sure oil is flowing up. DO NOT rely on or believe the seller that he just changed the oil or had it serviced at the dealer. The last guy that told me that was a down right liar and when I got the bike home I dumped the "New" oil only to find it was like sludge and the filter was full of crap. The last TW I sold I did just change the oil and filter on but I also gave the buyer a new filter and quart of oil and showed him what he needed to know about the filter with four holes.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links