I had an interesting talk about the TW this afternoon
Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    I was enjoying a coffee at a Tim Horton after my 100 miles morning ride when I spotted what seemed to be a young punk snooping around my bike in the parking lot. I quickly left everything on the table and headed outside, preparing myself for a "gettheheckoffmybike" kind of talk with that suspicious guy. Getting closer to him I had a big surprise as I saw an old man bending on the TW, pointing parts and addons, taking two steps away, one step closer, going to the left, then to the right, and the left again.

When he noticed I was there he asked me if it was my motorcycle. I said yes it is, how my I help you. At that very moment began an half hour conversation that made my day. He told me he saw the TW and it brought back strong memories to him so he had to have a closer look at it. This old man (he is 68) was a motorcycle mechanic in his younger days. He had dozens of bikes in his life and the TW was the one he loved the most. He shared many stories with me that I could relate to things I've been reading here. One of these was about the rear tire. He warned me about it, saying that when it slips, you better know what you are doing cause when it grabs back, it a hard thing to handle (remember he was a veteran MX racer). I instantly thought about what happened to Icpchad.

I wish I could tell you here everything we said, but it would take a couple hours to write it down.

One last thing that might interest you is that he rode is TW until the engine blew off at 80 000 kilometres (still on the stock rings/piston/cylinder). According to him, the secret is the oil he used, Yamalube, changed regularly. If the engine have the oil it needs, you can ride it WOT all day long and have no worries. That's his saying.

After a warm handshake I got back to my table. The coffee was now cold as ice, just like my bagel, and the crowd in the restaurant had all changed. It didn't bothered me at all, that old man had already made my day.

68 isn't that old.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    68 isn't that old.

x2

(that's only 26 years away for me... my dad's age, and he and i still ride together.)
    1994 TW226- 6spd. 10w-40 synthetic, XTHidden Content , XT225 stainless header, +2" Joemama swingarm, lizrd cooler, +20% fork springs, +25% rear spring, 2001 speedo w/ trip odo, pro taper atv bars, bark busters, shinko 241 front tire, front fender w/ mr bracket bracket, Hidden Content , o-ring chain, ricochet skid plate, Hidden Content , XT225 rear brake cam lever, folding-tip shifter, cycle rack, kolpin 1.5 aux tank & 1450 pelican case. Hidden Content or Hidden Content

Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

80,000 km! I hope mine makes it that long.

There really isn't anything special about Yamalube. Cool story though!

I did not want to insult anyone saying he is old a 68. You'll agree that you don't see to many bears riding dual sports motorcycle at such an age! ;-) I gueas I should I've said a "venerable" instead of "old".

And for yamalube, it's a personnal choice, of course.

Cool story, a nice morning read

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarman View Post
    I did not want to insult anyone saying he is old a 68. You'll agree that you don't see to many bears riding dual sports motorcycle at such an age! ;-) I gueas I should I've said a "venerable" instead of "old".

And for yamalube, it's a personnal choice, of course.

Great story, my dad did not ever ride a bike until he was about 66, then he got some Suzuki 300 or something, not sure what. He's gone now although my family has the curse of longevity.

I bought my first V-Max when I was about 55... known to wheelie, power-shift, etc. I remember shopping for one and seeing ads that said things like "I'm turning 35, I can't handle bikes like this any more". Well I'm going on 64 and if I find another V-Max good deal near me I'll be tempted...

I take more risks now than when I was younger (at 17 lost my license for a year for doing 70 on the sidewalk), although not as stupid I suppose.

The age numbers themselves aren't what counts, one of my bros says "you are only as old as the woman you feel"... I guess that makes me 40.

Nothing you said is offensive to me... young people are about all I hang with, and you have a disadvantage... older folks know what it is like to be "young" but younger people don't have a clue what it's like to be "older".

Ride as long as you get something out of it...

Thanks again though for the story.

"When I get older losing my hair ..."

I am a geezer at 64. You larva should look to us as an example I have no idea why anyone

would think that your too old to push a button.

Having white hair and wrinkles does get you out of some tickets though

Quote Originally Posted by Stromper View Post
    "When I get older losing my hair ..."

I am a geezer at 64. You larva should look to us as an example I have no idea why anyone

would think that your too old to push a button.

Having white hair and wrinkles does get you out of some tickets though

Ha,

I'm 64 too. It seems like there are a lot of us over 60 in this forum. Thinking about the comment of when the TW loses traction and then grabs again is making me appreciate the heavier front end.

Dan

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links