TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Looking to Buy...'87 TW200

780 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  littletommy 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,
New to the site, to the TW, and to biking. The TW has been the one my eye has been on for a dual-sport. That being said, someone locally has an '87 model and selling at $900. Rear lighting, mirrors, and handle bar brake lever are missing. I may be looking at it today. The seller stated it Is not smoking and runs great. They recommended servicing the carb given the age (likely not serviced before?). The odometer shows 2600 miles granted it is functioning properly. It's a clean bike in regards to wear and rust it seems.

CDI talk - not sure if it is a problem causing them to sell. Will I just be looking for misfiring and low power as a symptom?

Otherwise, what do you all suggest I look for to know it is a good one? It could die tomorrow as with any vehicle, yes.

Thanks,
Gary Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Enduro
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Enduro

See less See more
#2 ·
Where do I start ?

On the issue of CDI’s – not the problem it used to be http://tw200forum.com/forum/technical-help/44241-cdi-repair.html - a recent development that will help “in the event”

30 year old bike, with everything that comes with that – so allow for $1000 for parts (worst case scenario)

The tank as you probably know is not the original

This rather begs the question – “for near enough two grand, could you do better ?”

Welcome to the board ….. :D

#3 ·
Welcome to the forum!! :D

It's gonna take a few bucks to get it nice. It looks like it has been rode hard and put away wet.

Reactions: Purple
#4 ·
Welcome to the forum. I like what Purple said.

Even if you don’t have much mechanical experience, you can repair and improve stuff on a budget if you have the time and are so inclined. If that bike is safely rideable as is (after addressing lighting, mirror, brake lever), it seems like a pretty good deal to me. Cheers

#6 ·
You should try to talk him down a bit in my opinion...

Reactions: elime
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.