TW's by year - a photo collection - Page 5
Close

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Like Tree135Likes

Thread: TW's by year - a photo collection

Quote Originally Posted by BWX View Post
    About the 2009 on page one:

On page 1 the 2008 is gray GFX/ white paint- and correct.

Page one 2009 is listed as red/ white like 2010 - 2011 which I believe is a mistake and not correct.
    Again, I could be wrong!

I think the 2009 TW in USA is white paint with blue and black stripe, black front fender.
    I definitely do not think 2009 is red/ white like 2010 and 2011 though.
    Maybe someone has one with a 2009 VIN that is red/white but it is actually a 2010 model year (see below).

Check out page one again and see what you think.

The 2012 and 2013 are blue/ black stripe on white paint with WHITE front fender which is correct.

The 2009 I think in reality is exactly like the 2012 and 2013 but with black fender, but it seems like maybe Yamaha
    put out some with a white fender though which adds to the confusion.

--------------------------------------------------------

On a different but related topic- Going by pics on google, people list their bikes wrong all the time.
    Sometimes they are way off (several years, even decades), but sometimes they might be looking at the date
    on VIN plate and that might mislead them.

For instance my 2017 XSR900 is a 2017 model year and blue.. but the VIN says 2016, because it was
    made at the end of 2016 in Japan, but it is definitely a model year 2017.
    Maybe that happens with TW200's too?

That wouldn't explain the black front fenders on some 2012 - 2013 TWs though,
    or the white front fenders on some 2009 TWs.
    “Page one” of this thread is a recreation of a thread built by others back in the mists of time – after some years, the pictures (hosted on various outside sites) dropped from view, and the thread, though useful, became meaningless

With the help of the originators, who had much of these details still on various devices, the thread was rebuilt, this time with the pics hosted on this site. Some of the information may have come directly from Yamaha, some of it from other sources, but we all know how unreliable the internet can be. There may well be things that fell through the gaps, but we did what we could with the jigsaw puzzle we had

I’m reluctant to change things now, as we may well end up changing them back at a later date, and it all gets even more confusing

There’s a parallel thread here https://www.tw200forum.com/forum/gen...usa-tw200.html attempting to detail the changes year by year – but who knows what kind of switch gear you have, and whether it’s original or swapped out

The best way of dealing with this (in my opinion), is for comments such as yours “after the fact”, questioning the accuracy of page one, to remain visible, and hopefully helping to solve which part of the puzzle belongs where – taking the thread “as a whole” is far more sympathetic to its task, than simply relying on “page one” – same as the “changes by year” thread

This is how we learn – by sharing information – by being a “hive mind” ……..
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by grewen View Post
    i find it strange that yamaha hasn't listened to anybody, after all those years, and still puts the same front tire on. i didn't know that the same front was installed way back in the beginning
    Here is a guess and just my opinion. The rear Bridgestone tire is a pretty uncommon size in the aggressive tread pattern it has that works great as a dual sport tire. My bet is that Bridgestone probably cut a deal with Yamaha, "We keep supplying the rear tire as long as you keep putting the front tire on every TW you build".

GaryL
    Darth and elBuro like this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Quote Originally Posted by BWX View Post
    About the 2009 on page one:

On page 1 the 2008 is gray GFX/ white paint- and correct.

Page one 2009 is listed as red/ white like 2010 - 2011 which I believe is a mistake and not correct.
    Again, I could be wrong!

I think the 2009 TW in USA is white paint with blue and black stripe, black front fender.
    This is the 2009.
    BWX likes this.
    Jeff
    2009 Yamaha TW200
    2005 Suzuki DR650
    2003 Honda CBR600RR - Race/Track bike
    1985 Honda 250ES Big Red

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Hello!

first post here.

I've had a TW for over 10 years now, drive it everyday. On the registration, it shows that it's a 1997 model but i have a gold tank. Now i'm suspicious that it might be wrong seeing the pictures posted here.
    How can i be sure of the make year? Is there a search engine by VIN number somewhere?

Thanks riders for the help! I'm about to order some parts (chain, sprockets and clutch) and i'd appreciate the help.
    littletommy likes this.

Welcome to the board

Depends on which country you are in, where the bike came from, and the size of the bike - for instance, the TW125 sometimes comes with a gold tank ...
    littletommy and fidelio like this.
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

Welcome to the forum!!
    fidelio likes this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Somewhere here there is a thread showing how to decode the vehicle identification number that is up on the neck of the steering head. I don't remember but possibly the 10th number or letter tells the actual model year. Keep in mind the date on that label is the build date of your bike and not the model year. Bikes made late in 1996 are likely 1997 model year TWs.

GaryL
    fidelio and littletommy like this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Quote Originally Posted by littletommy View Post
    Welcome to the forum!!
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Purple View Post
    Welcome to the board

Depends on which country you are in, where the bike came from, and the size of the bike - for instance, the TW125 sometimes comes with a gold tank ...
    Hey thanks for the welcome!
    I have a TW200 Trailway. Most likely the bike came from Japan but i'm not sure when because i', the third of fourth owner and back in the day these things weren't documented enough. All i have is the VIN number under the steering.

Quote Originally Posted by GaryL View Post
    Somewhere here there is a thread showing how to decode the vehicle identification number that is up on the neck of the steering head. I don't remember but possibly the 10th number or letter tells the actual model year. Keep in mind the date on that label is the build date of your bike and not the model year. Bikes made late in 1996 are likely 1997 model year TWs.

GaryL
    Thanks man, i appreciate it. I'll copy the number and post it here so you guys can take it apart.

Purple, GaryL and fidelio like this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Sponosred Links