TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

TW's by year - a photo collection

100K views 64 replies 34 participants last post by  maxx 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
As promised — here’s the “definitive” article — first, a guide to identifying the American TW200 by the colour scheme for each year — 1987 to 2018 (credit to Joeband for the pics)

1987 — two colours (below)
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Supermoto
- Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Enduro

1988 — single colour — The ”Black Widow”
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Enduro

1989 — two colours — (the first is a variation on the ’88, with the lower half of the engine in grey)
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Enduro
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motorcycle Spoke

1990 — two colours
Vehicle Motor vehicle Product Motorcycle Automotive design
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Enduro Motor vehicle

1991 — two colours
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Supermoto
- Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Enduro

See less See more
#38 ·
Hellz Yeah!

A 300 6-speed with just a little more compression & cam.
Fuel injection.
Aluminum swing arm & rear wheel.
Rear disc.

Paint it any damn color you want..I'm in!

But yellow & black would be cool...

#33 ·
More “flying bananas” !

What we need is Yamaha to be a bit more imaginative with their colour schemes, and a new thread entitled “Help, my bike is the wrong colour”

When the 2019 colour scheme came out, I thought it was a bit “boring”, but having seen one “in the flesh” at Moab recently, it actually looks quite smart. But the fact is that we can customise these bikes to hell and back, and a “paint job” is fairly cheap to achieve

Meanwhile, there’s always a chance that a 2009 came with a paint scheme from 2013, as “worm hole events” are well documented in Nuclear accidents in Japan (the country that gave us “Godzilla”)

As for “anniversary” colours, (or other variations) – the 2007 (225) special editions marked the 30th – we’ll be waiting a long time for the next one

Onwards and upwards ……

#42 ·
Here is a guess and just my opinion. The rear Bridgestone tire is a pretty uncommon size in the aggressive tread pattern it has that works great as a dual sport tire. My bet is that Bridgestone probably cut a deal with Yamaha, "We keep supplying the rear tire as long as you keep putting the front tire on every TW you build".

GaryL

Reactions: elBuro and Darth
#44 ·
Hello!

first post here.

I've had a TW for over 10 years now, drive it everyday. On the registration, it shows that it's a 1997 model but i have a gold tank. Now i'm suspicious that it might be wrong seeing the pictures posted here.
How can i be sure of the make year? Is there a search engine by VIN number somewhere?

Thanks riders for the help! I'm about to order some parts (chain, sprockets and clutch) and i'd appreciate the help.

#46 ·
Welcome to the forum!! :D

Reactions: fidelio
#48 ·
Thank you!

Welcome to the board

Depends on which country you are in, where the bike came from, and the size of the bike - for instance, the TW125 sometimes comes with a gold tank ...
Hey thanks for the welcome!
I have a TW200 Trailway. Most likely the bike came from Japan but i'm not sure when because i', the third of fourth owner and back in the day these things weren't documented enough. All i have is the VIN number under the steering.

Somewhere here there is a thread showing how to decode the vehicle identification number that is up on the neck of the steering head. I don't remember but possibly the 10th number or letter tells the actual model year. Keep in mind the date on that label is the build date of your bike and not the model year. Bikes made late in 1996 are likely 1997 model year TWs.

GaryL
Thanks man, i appreciate it. I'll copy the number and post it here so you guys can take it apart.

#47 ·
Somewhere here there is a thread showing how to decode the vehicle identification number that is up on the neck of the steering head. I don't remember but possibly the 10th number or letter tells the actual model year. Keep in mind the date on that label is the build date of your bike and not the model year. Bikes made late in 1996 are likely 1997 model year TWs.

GaryL

#49 ·
#52 · (Edited)
Just got an email from "The Mothership" today. I've been hoping for some BLUE in the 2021 TW. Instead, this is what I got:

THE DO‑IT‑ALL DUAL SPORT

So, why did Yamaha "murder" the TW200? ("Murdering" being slang for making a bike all black, or mostly black.)

I mean, what's the "logic" here: it's already slow and under-powered--so let's make it hard to see, as well?
Discuss. LOL

Edit: On the plus side, Yammy made me realize the TW's previous "Sand" color scheme wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it was.

Bonus Point: How much does it cost to have a TW200 done up in a vinyl "wrap"? Potential downsides?

Thanks.

#57 · (Edited)
So It looks like the black rims first appeared in 2004-2006, 07-08 were silver, then 09 and up were black again. Also, they alternated on black vs body color front fenders randomly. I think I'm going to try a black front fender on my tan '20

BTW, I'm really liking the grey/black scheme on the 21's. Beautiful

Great post