Java^TW's Intro/Progression Thread
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hey everyone!

So I just purchased my first bike which is a 2003 TW200 and so far I love it! Its all registered, insured and inspected and the now the fun begins! I thought I would make a thread to document my progress with riding and modifications I am going to do on the bike. So far nothing too extreme but with the limited aftermarket selection for this awesome Yamaha model it seems like a lot of this is going to be trial and error DIY solutions for certain improvements

Here is a short list of some things I have bought so far and plan on doing:

Bought:

-Renthal Dual Compound Grips

-Grip Donuts

-Moose Full Skid Plate

-Pelican 1450

-6mmx25mm Rosette thumb screws for case mounting on rear fender pad

-New Lever set

-15mm Bar risers

-----------------

Just ordered more: 7/16

-Pro-Taper ATV-Mid SE bars

-Renthal Grip glue

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

First Project is going to be to install the Pelican case on the rear fender pad with the thumb screws as the main attachment point. I am also going to custom fab extra brackets to ensure its rigidity over time. I am not sure the weight of things I will hold in the case so I am planning on being better safe than sorry and making attachment points into the sub-frame in addition to the fender. After that I'm going to install my other small purchases one by one. I will post up some pictures as I go along! I look forward to being a part of this community!

here is a pic of my TW right after I bought it:

Java, welcome and congratulations on thinking about reinforcing rather than trusting to blind faith that the frame extension under the rubber pad is strong enough for everything. I've filled my aluminum case with some pretty heavy rocks but I'm also cognizant of the need to place the real heavy ones in the side bags (saddlebags) supported by the rear portion of the seat and hence the main frame. Ride on. Tom
    Tom - TW200 2002, Kawasaki VN 500 2006

Hidden Content

Central New Mexico

Quote Originally Posted by peruano View Post
    Java, welcome and congratulations on thinking about reinforcing rather than trusting to blind faith that the frame extension under the rubber pad is strong enough for everything. I've filled my aluminum case with some pretty heavy rocks but I'm also cognizant of the need to place the real heavy ones in the side bags (saddlebags) supported by the rear portion of the seat and hence the main frame. Ride on. Tom

Thanks peruano!

Just got my bar risers today and installed them, so far i like it, helps clear my knees a little better at full lock. Most of my other goodies should be arriving next tuesday or tomorrow. I am very excited. Also expecting a couple packages for my daily driver that need to be installed as well...so much to do

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Well i decided to just order some protaper bars and get rid of the stockers...went with SE ATV-Mid. I think im going to be pretty pleased with them..

Im considering getting the Trailtech Vapor Stealth computer as well to replace the stock electronics and clean up the dash. Anyone that has done this have any tips? Obviously I would remove both the stock spedo and lights and get the light indicator attachment for the Trailtech vapor instead. I saw one guy on here with the setup and it just looks soo clean compared to the "Old fashioned" setup that still comes on these bikes. Any info is helpful!! Thanks!

Pelican Case Installed on the rear fender, just have to create support brackets for it to attach to the sub frame as well.

Congrats on your new ride. Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by losttourist View Post
    Congrats on your new ride. Have fun!

thanks losttourist!

Just got a bunch of items in the mail today but Im returning a few that either don't fit or I don't need anymore(tach-not pictured, moose bar pad-not pictured, and the bar ends which dont fit the pro-taper bars).

Has anyone installed bar ends into the pro taper se bars? if so which ones did you get because the standard ones dont fit the smaller ID of the SE bars.

Quote Originally Posted by Java^TW View Post
    thanks losttourist!

Just got a bunch of items in the mail today but Im returning a few that either don't fit or I don't need anymore(tach-not pictured, moose bar pad-not pictured, and the bar ends which dont fit the pro-taper bars).

Has anyone installed bar ends into the pro taper se bars? if so which ones did you get because the standard ones dont fit the smaller ID of the SE bars.

first off congrats on the bike!...you may not need those anti-vibration bar ends with that bar and good grips...use compressed air or an air compressor to get your old grips off and just put them back on the protaper to try it out before you decide...then once you decide you can install the new grips (just so you don't wreck them)...it's not like bar ends are hard to install...i have a protaper se high atv bar and pro grips and i don't find that they vibrate...with stock bars that might be a different story...now if you were looking for protection i would go with some bark busters...happy modding

Quote Originally Posted by Point37 View Post
    first off congrats on the bike!...you may not need those anti-vibration bar ends with that bar and good grips...use compressed air or an air compressor to get your old grips off and just put them back on the protaper to try it out before you decide...then once you decide you can install the new grips (just so you don't wreck them)...it's not like bar ends are hard to install...i have a protaper se high atv bar and pro grips and i don't find that they vibrate...with stock bars that might be a different story...now if you were looking for protection i would go with some bark busters...happy modding

I was planning on using them more for protection and also I like to use bar ends to keep a steady throttle at low speeds for tight counterweight turns. With my pinky gripped around the bar end im able to dial in a more precise steady twist of the throttle when needed. Not sure if this is really the best practice but it works wonders for me and I was hoping they would fit. Unfortunately they don't fit the more narrow inner diameter of the SE bars because of the 5mm sidewalls.

Do you know of any bar ends that will work specifically for the protaper bars?

Quote Originally Posted by Java^TW View Post
    I was planning on using them more for protection and also I like to use bar ends to keep a steady throttle at low speeds for tight counterweight turns. With my pinky gripped around the bar end im able to dial in a more precise steady twist of the throttle when needed. Not sure if this is really the best practice but it works wonders for me and I was hoping they would fit. Unfortunately they don't fit the more narrow inner diameter of the SE bars because of the 5mm sidewalls.

Do you know of any bar ends that will work specifically for the protaper bars?

the bar end mirrors i bought off of ebay...i only used the mirrors and clamps to clamp them onto the bars...i never used the bar ends...i wonder if something like that would fit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links