Tusk D-Flex Handguard Installation
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Tusk D-Flex Handguard Installation

Several weeks ago I installed a pair of Tusk D-Flex Handguards on my Zongshen 200GY-2. Previously I had installed a set of Pro Taper SE ATV High Bend handlebars. While installing the Pro Taper handlebars I needed to cut about 1-inch off each end of the handlebars so I wouldn't need to lengthen my cables and front brake line. Therefore, the ends of my handlebars were open, and ready to accept the Tusk anchor bolts for the handguards. However, after cutting off the ends of my handgrips, I discovered the Pro Taper handlebars were slightly smaller in diameter about 1-inch inside the ends of the bars. Therefore, I needed to drill the inside of both ends of the handlebars with a 9/16-inch bit before I could install the bolt anchors inside the handlebars.

Placing the aluminum guards next to the handlebars, I found the best placement for the inside handguard supports.

At this point I noticed I would need to move my brake line to accommodate the inside handguard support on the right handlebar. After cutting the small metal tab in front of the banjo bolt, I was able to rotate the front brake line forward enough to accommodate the handguard support.

After test fitting the handguards, I also discovered I needed to cut the balls off the ends of my clutch and brake levers for the handguards to fit. I castrated the levers with my 4-inch angle grinder.

I inserted the anchor bolts into the ends of the handlebars, and loosely tightened them.

I then loosely tightened the handguards to the inside handguard supports.

The handguards should be rotated about 10 degrees lower than horizontal, so one doesn't break his wrists if he falls over the handlebars. After verifying the fit was good, I removed the aluminum handguards and attached the handguard shields and spoilers. With the plastic pieces in place, I reattached the handguards and tightened all the bolts.

I like the way the black handguard shields compliment the aluminum handguards, and match my black handlebars.

Spud
    Rider21, Mattwings and Darth like this.
    Vox Populi, Vox Dei.

I also like the way the orange spoilers add some extra color, and extra visibility to the front and sides of my bike.

The Tusk D-Flex Hanguards are very strong, and have protected me well while riding.

I'm happy to know my handlebars, grips, throttle tube, levers, and hands are now well protected from falls and impacts with tree limbs.

I'm very happy with these handguards, and I am pleased to report they fit my Pro Taper SE ATV High Bend Handlebars very well.

Spud
    Rider21, Darth and Zoeller like this.
    Vox Populi, Vox Dei.

Good report -thanks for posting.

Any chance of a riders report on the Zongchen 200?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Good write-up Spud. I have the same guards and they have worked well for me.

Did you use the rubber piece that goes around the bolt anchor? Weird that you had to drill out your bars.

They look great on your bike.
    If you can't find it, grind it

1990 TW200

Those are the same guards Roe had on her bike when she went down. Other than a few scrapes in the plastic shield their fine with no broken levers. Worth every cent!! Just wish her ankle was that tough.

I have the same guards but black/red combo. They are nice....
    Mike Carter. Woodland, California (NorCal). '89 Tw200 (Black Widow Edition). Blood red Jimbo shield, Cycleracks, Nuvi 500 GPS, Kolpin fuel pack jr., D shield bark busters, 55t rear sprocket, Golden boy front tire, Ricochet shield.

I have bent mine twice now but they were both on falls going over 15mph. A little hammering in a vice brings them back nicely. I did sand off the brushed coat down to the regular aluminum after beating the crap out of them with the hammer.
    '13 690 Enduro R too many frickin farkles...
    '07 KLX250 farkled (wife's bike)
    '86 BW80 farkled to size
    '10 TW200 you will be missed

Quote Originally Posted by polarpilot View Post
    Good report -thanks for posting.

Any chance of a riders report on the Zongchen 200?
    You're welcome, PP. I'd be happy to post a report, or provide a link to one. Do you wish to read a review of my Zong, or a Ride Report from one of my minimalist tours? Incidentally, I have now ridden 50,500 miles on my Zong.

https://tw200forum.com/index.php?/top...es-on-my-zong/

Spud
    Vox Populi, Vox Dei.

Quote Originally Posted by Rainman View Post
    Good write-up Spud. I have the same guards and they have worked well for me.

Did you use the rubber piece that goes around the bolt anchor? Weird that you had to drill out your bars.

They look great on your bike.
    Thank you, Rainman. No, I did not use the rubber pieces on the bolt anchors. Indeed, I was surprised I had to slightly ream the inside diameter of the Pro Taper handlebars. The handlebars originally had threaded plugs in the ends of the bars, but I cut about an inch off each end of the handlebars when I installed them, which removed the threaded caps. I shortened the bars so I would not need to get a longer, front brake line and longer control cables for my Zong.

Spud
    Vox Populi, Vox Dei.

Quote Originally Posted by PalmStateCrawler View Post
    I have bent mine twice now but they were both on falls going over 15mph. A little hammering in a vice brings them back nicely. I did sand off the brushed coat down to the regular aluminum after beating the crap out of them with the hammer.
    Thanks for verifying the durability of the Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Crawler. These handguards certainly appear to be very solid and durable. The Tusk D-Flex Handguards with spoilers are also a very good value at $63.99.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...+WITH+SPOILERS

I also like the fact every component of these handguards can be purchased, and replaced separately, at a very reasonable cost. For example, one can replace the spoilers for $9.99, et cetera.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...+WITH+SPOILERS

Spud
    Mattwings likes this.
    Vox Populi, Vox Dei.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links