Aluminum hitch carrier recommendations
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Aluminum hitch carrier recommendations

Aluminum hitch carrier recommendations

A few requests to those who own, or have owned, an aluminum hitch carrier:
    1). Is there a specific model you would recommend? Or just as importantly, not recommend?
    2). Is there a specific loading/unloading method you prefer, ramp or titling?

As always, your experience is appreciatted.
    God made mud. God got lonesome. So God said to some of the mud, "Sit up!" "See all I've made," said God, "The hills, the sea, the sky, the stars." And I was some of the mud that got to sit up and look around. Lucky me, lucky mud. I, mud, sat up and saw what a nice job God had done.
    Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle

Try using the search feature for "hitch carrier". Also do one for "hitch hauler". If you still have questions, fire away!
    Fred likes this.
    The bear slayer!

Thank you, Ski Pro 3. I did do a lengthy search before positing. I found a large amount of comments about owning steel carriers and a considerable number on the Versahauler. Regarding aluminum carriers, I found three owners of Harbor Freights, one Black Widow and one Joe Hauler. I am hoping to tap a larger ownership sample, if possible.
    God made mud. God got lonesome. So God said to some of the mud, "Sit up!" "See all I've made," said God, "The hills, the sea, the sky, the stars." And I was some of the mud that got to sit up and look around. Lucky me, lucky mud. I, mud, sat up and saw what a nice job God had done.
    Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Hmm...
    I posted a lengthy review of an aluminum pivot hitch carrier that has a wide track that the TW200 rear wheel fits in beautifully. I'll see if I can find it. But since photoshop now blocks the sharing of photos, I'm pretty sure the photos won't be there any longer.
    I got mine off eBay....

Here's a link to the one I got.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hitch-Mounte...xZpx0n&vxp=mtr

However, when I bought it about 4 years or so ago, I only had to pay about half that amount and that included shipping to California from Florida. It easily held my BMW 650 Dakar and rated at 600 pounds. I have photos, but I don't have a host to share photos. I'll see what I an do....

http://i1300.photobucket.com/albums/...psad5d77ca.jpg

http://i1300.photobucket.com/albums/...ps766ea5e7.jpg
    Last edited by Ski Pro 3; 10-03-2017 at 12:28 AM.
    Ken likes this.
    The bear slayer!

I have the Harbor Freight model and can't recommend it. The tracks are just the wrong sized. When I strap the TW down hard... the knobbies end up stuck in the tracks. That makes it difficult to remove later.

I had the Rage Motorsports carrier. Bought it online through eTrailer.com. It was awesome until a dually ran over it while it was on my car. Q's back tire didn't sit in the slot but he never budged in the 5000 miles or so he rode it.
    Last edited by skase98; 10-03-2017 at 03:18 AM.
    ToolmanJohn, Dryden-Tdub and Ken like this.
    '03 TW200 - QuasiMoto, the king of wheeee!

I have this one. I have only used it 5 times so far, but it works fine. The track is somewhat narrower than the TW200 tires, especially the rear, and I had to figure out that I had to mount my tie down straps to the carrier first, then place them in a convenient location so when the bike is rolled on the track I can easily (sort of) reach the tie down hook and get it on my fork loop hangers. I also place two straps at the footpeg bracket area, and tie off the rear tire so it cannot roll forward or backward.

Hitch carriers should also come with some kind of anti-wobble bracket, I had to add nuts to the bolts to prevent backing off. I am also considering adding tow hooks to my bumper (i can buy them, the bumper has the threaded receivers). I will add the hooks and then put a couple straps on there and it will be extremely secure. I definitely notice the 400 pounds of carrier and motorcycle when I'm going around corners.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

EDIT: I also added a trailer light kit tot the carrier. The TW blocks the SUV tail lights way too much and if it's dark out I want people to see me. A bit of extra effort but worth it and it costs less than $20 usually for a cheap light kit. If the lights break in the future, the wiring is already there so no loss.
    Last edited by ToolmanJohn; 10-04-2017 at 04:36 AM.
    peruano likes this.
    2017 Beta Xtrainer 300 - Suspension modified for height
    2013 Yamaha TW200 (Sold but not forgotten, possibly in the future when space permits)
    2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650R (sold) Fun for a year, then mega garage DUST collector
    1985 Honda CB650SC Nighthawk (sold) FUN - but became a dust collector
    1984 Honda CB450SC Nighthawk (sold) Primary transportation for almost 5 years
    Various other 2 wheel rolling junk not worthy of mention....

1. Use antiwobble feature.
    2. Tilt is a gimmick; use a ramp for a bike as heavy as a tw. BTW tilt not convenient for scooters with motor further back.
    3. Add LED trailer lights to enhance visibility.
    4. Steel is more forgiving if traumatized / abused.
    5. Most trays are wide enough for the TW tires. They are not flat but convex in profile and hence narrower where they sit in the tray.
    I have a JoeHauler and would trust my fav TW on it. I would not trust it to a Harbor Freight creation, although I'm sure they are OK too.
    skase98 likes this.
    Tom - TW200 2002, Kawasaki VN 500 2006

Hidden Content

Central New Mexico

#3... I picked up some submersible boat trailer lights and stuck industrial velcro fuzzy strips on them, then set the plastic halves on the hauler. They stuck just great and I could pull the lights off whenever I wasn't hauling the bike. Definitely a great idea to light it!

------------------------------------------
    Send a wire to the main office and tell them I said "Ow!" Got it!
    ToolmanJohn likes this.
    '03 TW200 - QuasiMoto, the king of wheeee!

Senior Member Leisure Time Larry's Avatar
    To each his own, but I've had a hitch carrier fail before. I've seen a TW on the Harbor Freight carrier, and that sight haunts my dreams. As a professional welder/fabricator, I've seen good quality and bad, and I have a good idea on strengths and capabilities. The TW is a heavy pig. Add the weight of the carrier itself and add the lever type torque the extension of the carrier puts on the hitch, and I'm not sure that I would trust that set-up with anything less than a Class IV hitch.

I now recommend to people to use a trailer instead if possible. The Harbor Freight options are well covered, and I really like the ones sold by Lowes with the drop down gate/ramp. These are $600 and below. You can always go bigger and better from there. Overall, it just seems like the best way to haul bikes to me.
    Mel and Ken like this.
    - Leisure Time Larry -
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

2004 TW200, 13-55 gearing, Shinko 241, Race Tech Emulators, Procycle front springs, Works Performance rear shock, Emgo handguards, Luckybike mirror risers, Ken Sean DS foldable mirrors, 30mm Tusk bar risers, Seat Concepts, Kick Starter kit, Plasti-dip camo coat, Cycle Pumps, Ricochet Skid Plate, flood and spot LED pod lights, Sena, Garmin etrex 20 GPS, IMS 313114 folding shifter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links