Smooth sailing
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Smooth sailing

Smooth sailing

I finally bought new tires for my bike. I'm going to ride it on the road so I think it would only be right to balance the wheels. Do I use an additive in the tube or balance with weights?
    Ken likes this.
    87 TW

I use a balance stand and stick on weights but some people use that other stuff.
    Ken likes this.

I use a portable device called a BeemerBalancer and stick-on weights.

Did not feel the need to use it on the new tire on the front of my TW and it seems fine as is.
    Ken likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Ken
    I put the rim on the ballancer stand and find the heavy spot on the rim. The new tire usually comes with a dot indicating the light spot on the tire. I line these up and sometimes they balance perfect with no weights. I still am using the stock lead slide weights on the spokes.
    Elvesus likes this.

I highly prefer the liquid Ride-On stuff. It remains a liquid inside the tube and constantly changes where it goes as the balance point. I used the old spoke weights for many years and often found where the weight was needed at first is not where it is needed after a few hundred or thousand miles as the tire wears. Those who do use spoke weights or the stick on types should probably check the wheels balance after a few hundred miles just to see if it has changed.

On my wife's RX 350 I bought a second set of the stock wheels and had winter tires mounted and balanced on them. While brand new and off the vehicle I used a sharpie and wrote/marked how much weight and where it was on the inside of the new wheels. After the winter I took those wheels off and put the summer set on. Checking the tape on wheel weights proved my suspicions because on every wheel a few of the weights had flown off. I took the set back to the tire shop and when they checked balance all 4 were way off from where they were initially balanced. The guy removed all the remaining old weights and installed new ones in completely different places. Just last week I had to move the winter wheels from where they were stored and in doing so I found those lousy tape on weights sitting on the ground where the tires and wheels were. Seems to me the glue or sticky tape does not adhere well to aluminum and just releases. Too bad the Ride-On is too expensive to use in big car tires because I would probably need a couple gallons to do all 4.

GaryL
    Ken likes this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

I just had a 60km/h bounce with my 241 after I put it on the front. Used jack stands and the axle bolt to find the heavy spot, then wrapped a length of solder wire around the base of the spoke to balance it out. Worked A1
    Ken likes this.

I use repurposed inline fishing sinkers on the spokes. Drill the hole to match the spoke and cut a slot with a coping saw. Stick on weights can fly off in time, that's been my experience.
    Ken likes this.
    If I’m ever on LIFE SUPPORT, UNPLUG ME. Then plug me back in... See if that works. Hidden Content

TW 2006 Ruth
    TW 1988 Black Widow.
    1994 Harley FXR

Rick

Just my own opinion here but my thought is that as a tire wears the rubber may not wear evenly all the way around. If the weight you use to begin with stays in the right place and the rubber wears uneven then your weight might not be in the right place over time. With the liquid inside it automatically goes to the exact spot it is needed all the time so even if the rubber wears unevenly the tire remains balanced.

GaryL
    goldenhtr and Ken like this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Smooth sailing

Had a 241 mounted and "balanced" with stick on weights by Cycle Gear. It bounced. Removed weights, added one bottle of Ride On and now it rolls as smooth as if I was on new concrete. Unless the Ride On has some other nasty side effect, I will never use weights again.
    #GYG

'13 TW200

A.T.
    GaryL, goldenhtr, Ken and 1 others like this.

People laughed at me when I put 2 cups of 50/50 mix antifreeze into each of my jeep tires. Poured it in through the valve stem, pulled all the wheel weights...31" retread mud tires. Smoothed them right out.
    Worked like the Ride On does....and the added bonus was it would smooth out changing situations like globs of mud or big chunks of ice frozen into the rims after wheeling. Used to be murder coming home on the highway...would shake the teeth right out of your head. The antifreeze would smooth it out and make it tolerable.
    Rad hoses and inner tubes are both rubber....anyone volunteer to Prestone their TW tires?
    GaryL, Ken and admiral like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links