Shorai batteries
Close

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Shorai batteries

My Yuasa battery failed after three years so I ordered a Shorai lithium battery on Saturday.

Wondering if anyone else is using one and if there are any comments about its performance?

I ordered a charger as well.

i don't personally but i think you will find that many members do and they swear by them so i'd say you made a good choice...see this link...

https://tw200forum.com/index.php?/top...__1#entry39560

PP,

I do not have mine yet, but it's on the list. Looking at them I just don't see a downside. I don't even think the price is bad compaired to the performance.

Hopefully Rainman will provide some input, I believe he's had his Shori for a year or so, and has expressed being pretty happy with it.

I am still planning on the kicker . . . just because I'm anal.

Bag
    "The TW may be slow, but the Earth is patient" - MK

"If I'm wrong, and it turns out that you hate it, I'll send you all my Barry Manilow albums." LB

Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

My Shorai is still going strong after a year and a half:

https://tw200forum.com/index.php?/top...post__p__11457

jb
    2018 Triumph Street Twin..............2016 CB500F
    2014 XT250 ..................................2008 H-D Softail Deluxe
    2008 SV 650..................................2007 DR 650..

I really don't see the advantage of a Li-ion / Shori battery. The cost at least 3 times as much and according to the factory FAQ's they last about twice as long.

http://www.shoraipower.com/t-faq.aspx

The weight savings is impressive but insignificant. I doubt anyone can tell while riding a TW200 whether or not it has an light or heavy battery in it.

The fact that it has no fluid in it and can be mounted in any position is also impressive but again, regarding the TW200 insignificant. My TW has been on its side many, many, many times. Loss of battery fluid has not been a problem. It's small size means extra packing material in the battery box to keep in it place which if it breaks down the battery will rattle around and maybe get damaged. Its greater cranking power? So what if the engine starts a few seconds sooner.

Personally I think it a better deal to buy a less expensive battery (AGM battery?) and apply the savings to a kick starter -- a greater return on the money spent. As usual, IMHO.

And to those who want the latest and greatest I say buy the Shori.
    Fred likes this.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

I've had my Shorai for most of a year now. And after taking many things into consideration, I feel it was $$ well spent. Sure, lead acid is fine, pluses are price, dependable, simple. Minus side, corrosion, maintenance, shelf life. I know, many of you have had lead acid batteries last for 5+ years in your bike, I have had lithium batteries last that long in my laptops & power tools, so I am hoping to see similar life with the Shorai. Weight is not a factor here. The padding around the Shorai to fit the battery box is dense & of high quality, & will not break down & rattle around.

If you want to put your $$ into the places where you can have the best saddle up & go experience with your bike, this is one of them. (In my opinion.) m.

I recently bought a 2009 that had just had it's battery replaced. A few weeks later the new one completely died. Probably a broken plate or something. That's 2 batteries in 3 years. I got a Ballistic Performance lithium battery from Amazon. Did not care much about size and weight, just don't want to think about it, even if I don't put a charger on it for a while. I just don't care for something that is supposed to do something, like provide electricity, but doesn't. I like my new battery - it starts my motorcycle.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    Personally I think it a better deal to buy a less expensive battery (AGM battery?) and apply the savings to a kick starter -- a greater return on the money spent. As usual, IMHO.

I have to agree. The $30 AGM battery I bought off of eBay has been great, holds a charge for months and the first one I had lasted for 5 years, I am on my second year of my second AGM battery, doing fine. I could scarcely ask for more.

Because I live at the virtual end of the line, I have to fly my battery in. AGM batteries even when dry are red label cargo so this was a deciding factor.

I ordered a battery from Shorai with a FedEx delivery. The new unit is 2/3s of the way here now currently delayed in transfer to a northern airline. The battery left California yesterday and is in Ottawa Ontario this morning.

Meanwhile I am hooking up a battery charger to fire up the TW and just leaving it idling while I am doing errands.

I am very curious about this new unit and anxious to try the new technology in this battery

Good Morning All,

For me there is no 'wrong answer' here. Seems to me that some like the install and forget ability of the Li batterys with there insainly slow discharge rate, some like the size weight savings, some like the price/good dependability of the newer LA batterys.

Either way, I don't see any battery choice as a replacement for a kickstarter as the battery is only one component of the starting system. My bike also bumpstarts easily, but usually when out riding, the places I may stall it are by thier very nature not suitable for bumping it over.

Great info guys, thanks!

Bag
    "The TW may be slow, but the Earth is patient" - MK

"If I'm wrong, and it turns out that you hate it, I'll send you all my Barry Manilow albums." LB

Hidden Content

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links