• 4 Post By RockyTFS
  • 3 Post By grewen
  • 4 Post By Peterb
  • 3 Post By jtomelliott49
  • 2 Post By SportsterDoc
  • 1 Post By Miaugi

Thread: New From Ottawa, Canada

New From Ottawa, Canada

Hi all, just bought a 2006 TW200 yesterday after a 4 hour drive west of home to pick it up. Low mileage of 1,600 kms and very nice shape although I suspect the previous owner (the second owner) did more waxing than true maintenance so I have been tinkering today adjusting brakes and the like.

Despite the low mileage it needs a new chain and rear sprocket, thinking of bumping up to a 52T for a little more grunt since I'm no lightweight. While going over the bike I removed the cover to the air filter and a 1/3 cup of water came out, ok for an outboard motor not so good for a bike. I then decided I would remove the entire air box to clean it up thoroughly...and now my first question. Did Yamaha start with the air box and build the entire bike around it? What a nightmare just trying to split the case never mind remove the entire unit from the bike....OMG!

Second question, at the bottom of the air box is a 1-1/2" clear hose that to me is to drain any water that gets in there, but on this bike that little hose is completely sealed. At first I thought it was like two lips at the bottom of it which is common, but no it is sealed with crimps showing on it? Thinking it might just be stuck together I even tried pushing a flat screwdriver through it....nope it's actually sealed tight. Does this sound normal?

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated. Thanks!
    jtomelliott49 and ejfranz like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Miaugi View Post
    ....Second question, at the bottom of the air box is a 1-1/2" clear hose that to me is to drain any water that gets in there, but on this bike that little hose is completely sealed. At first I thought it was like two lips at the bottom of it which is common, but no it is sealed with crimps showing on it? Thinking it might just be stuck together I even tried pushing a flat screwdriver through it....nope it's actually sealed tight. Does this sound normal?
    Yes, it is perfectly normal. Just pinch the clip, slide it off and clean it out with a Q-tip twice a year or so. It's actually for the oil that get into the airbox. Water should not normally get into the airbox. Guy must have rode through a river!

First thing to do is CHANGE the oil! If your filter is brass, just clean it with kerosene or the like. No need to buy a new filter....if it's anything else, replace it with an OEM filter and be ABSOLUTELY sure it has four holes facing you!

52 on the rear will work well for flat country at reasonable speeds, but if you want to go 60 mph stay with stock.

When you replace the sprocket, get an O-ring or X-ring chain, you won't ever have to adjust it after the first 200 miles.

Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

welcome to the nut house!
    Greg

2019 honda cb500x
    2018 honda grom
    2018 suzuki dr200

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Welcome to the forum. Nice to see another Canadian on here........ not that I don't like the rest of you guys .

Welcome from KS. I know you will love your TW, and this forum will make you smile almost as much as your TW.
    Peterb, ejfranz and grewen like this.
    Tom in Wichita

78 Moto Guzzi SP1000
    87 Yamaha TW200
    99 Yamaha TW200
    03 Honda Shadow Spirit (girlfriend's ride)
    74 Moto Guzzi Eldorado Police model (in many pieces)

Welcome from southern Nevada.
    I used to work for a company headquartered in Kitchener...beautiful country.
    Peterb and ejfranz like this.
    2014 Honda CB1100
    2018 Yamaha XT250
    2016 Moto Guzzi V7 II
    2017 Yamaha TW200
    2012 Triumph Bonneville
    2002 H-D Sportster 1200 Sport
    2003 H-D Sportster 883
    1976 Honda CB750F
    1975 Honda CB360
    1970 Yamaha CT1
    1972 Yamaha CT2
    1972 Yamaha AT2/CT2
    1970 Honda SL350
    1970 Honda CL350
    1967 Honda CL160
    1967 Honda CB160
    1962 Honda CA110

Quote Originally Posted by RockyTFS View Post
    ....It's actually for the oil that gets into the airbox. Water should not normally get into the airbox.............replace it with an OEM filter and be ABSOLUTELY sure it has four holes facing you!......
    When you replace the sprocket, get an O-ring or X-ring chain, you won't ever have to adjust it after the first 200 miles......
    Thanks for the welcome guys!

Rocky....thanks for the explanation of the oil catch, I hadn't considered that and mistakenly assumed it was a water drain. Not sure about how the water got there for sure but from the brief time I met the seller it was more likely from a pressure washer than a river. As for the sprocket and chain I am going to do a little more research on the X chain, I've used "O" ring chains in the past and was not too impressed with them....but in their defense it's been decades since I used an O chain.
    ejfranz likes this.
    Hidden Content Sold...Oct 2018......'01 F650GS

Welcome from the other coast.
    2001 TW200 sporting a MT43 up front. Duro has gone to a good home. 2015 VStrom XT, 1996 DT 200, Broken 2010 Xingue 400 XY. 2009 WR250r now shared with my son.

Canada eh ….

You’ll soon discover the many delights the TW has to offer – though I see you’ve already met the air box assembly. Always figured that’s what the tube below was for, to tell you what you’ve got too much of in there. This can range from fuel (always turn your petcock off when parked) – oil, be careful of how much you use on the air filter sponge – water (as you’ve found out) – or nuts and seed, in which case you have a rodent problem (they do seem to like it in there)

Welcome to the mad house – you’ll fit in just fine around here …….
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

Sponosred Links