Weigh the difference
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: Weigh the difference

Weigh the difference

I had not realized until I began road racing bicycles where I was the motor how much power it takes to turn and carry extra weight
    I could instantly tell a lighter wheel,tire or spoke set up in one ride
    That's when I realized that maybe a extra pound or oz from a heavy duty tube,steel sprocket or drag from a oring chain could be hurting my 125 mx bike forward motion.
    Ever since I ran a 125 rim on my 450 that had lighter tube/tire/sprocket and I felt it in acceleration and crashing whoops I've been debating in my head which replacement part I buy when I need it.
    Now if I'm riding rocks I'd be silly to not use a HD tube in my wheels
    But if I can and have the money I'll buy an aluminum sprocket.
    The TW is anything but a race bike. And anything but over powered. So I choose a non oring chain and standard tubes because I ride in sand mostly and it's timid power is easy on chain wear
    Just something to think about because bigger isn't always better. If it were we wouldn't be riding these silly little bikes and enjoying them so much
    On a side note, just had a new tire installed. I can't believe how heavy that rear wheel is
    Once I determine my final gearing I will be getting an aluminum sprocket. Other than that there isnt much you can do to lighten the wheel other than try to make it tubeless. Does anyone make an aluminum rim in the wide 14" size?
    Elvesus, Ken, admiral and 1 others like this.
    87 TW

I had a while back both a TW200 and an XT225. Very similar bikes but totally different in performance and I associated the difference to the wheels and tires alone. The TW is a much better mule but the XT was way more nimble with a lot more power and way better suspension. Between both bikes where you gain in one area you lose in another. I found if I was just going for a ride with some pavement between some nice trails the XT was the go to bike. If I was out on an adventure and loading the rack with gear for a fishing trip into the back country then the TW was what I wanted. The difference being either play or work!

GaryL
    Mattwings, Howsbentley and Ken like this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

All summer I rode my DR350, much prefering it on the road and off (when riding with others especially). Now that hunting season is here, I so prefer the TW. Easy to get on and off when checking cameras, moving stands etc... very quiet and sure footed when the going gets slow! It really works better as a two wheeled, street legal ATV for me. When I see people trying to upgrade power, suspension, taller gearing (better cruising RPM and Speed) I am thankful for having two bikes. Now that I want a DR650 for some adventure riding, how do I convince the wife I need 3? Plus my son turned 16, so a DRz400e dual sported is on the drawing boards for him. Add in his KDX200 and thats 5 bikes for 2 of us lol
    turbodieseli4i6, grewen and Ken like this.
    2002 TW200 "The Punisher"
    1998 DR350r
    1996 KDX 200
    Riding in and around the great state of Michigan (usually)

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Maxpower View Post
    But if I can and have the money I'll buy an aluminum sprocket.

Once I determine my final gearing I will be getting an aluminum sprocket.

Just be aware if you install an aluminum sprocket, it may not last as long as one would think, especially in the environment you mention riding it.

This is my 60T aluminum sprocket after about 6 months of riding from Moab sand to local volcanic soils. Extremely worn teeth and even some with the tips of the teeth breaking off.

Tweaker, Swingarm, Ken and 1 others like this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

On a bicycle yes. But you'd need to really strip a lot of crap off a TW to the point where you'd be better off starting with a different motorcycle in the first place.
    I get the gearing part but if you think lighter wheels or an aluminum sprocket is going to greatly lighten the TW load you are in the same sandbox as my wife. She thinks Low Fat Half-and-Half is going to make a big difference in my life vs. regular H&H.

Oh course if I lose 15lbs then...
    admiral, Swingarm, Ken and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattwings View Post
    All summer I rode my DR350, much prefering it on the road and off (when riding with others especially). Now that hunting season is here, I so prefer the TW. Easy to get on and off when checking cameras, moving stands etc... very quiet and sure footed when the going gets slow! It really works better as a two wheeled, street legal ATV for me. When I see people trying to upgrade power, suspension, taller gearing (better cruising RPM and Speed) I am thankful for having two bikes. Now that I want a DR650 for some adventure riding, how do I convince the wife I need 3? Plus my son turned 16, so a DRz400e dual sported is on the drawing boards for him. Add in his KDX200 and thats 5 bikes for 2 of us lol
    once you get a 650 and fine tune it your way, I'm willing to bet the 350 is sold. I took my 650 off road yesterday for the first time and I was grinning all day. it was so nice to basically idle most of the way, and if you think the TW is quiet, what until you can't hear the dr650. and then to come home on the highway and cruise at an effortless 110 kmph was great. sorry for hijacking
    Greg

2019 honda cb500x
    2018 honda grom
    2018 suzuki dr200

Here in MI off road is at least 75% sand. Weight+Sand=tired old man! My 280lb 350 is a featherweight compared to the 650. Going to the 220lb KDX is pure heaven in the loose stuff, so I know a 650 is a dirt road, adventure tourer for me. No way with my skills I could keep up with my riding buddies on a DR/KLR/XRL650 (or TW). As the day and miles wear on, the speed difference grows too.

Brings us back to the TW, hard to have it light enough! But what an awesome mule it is!!!!! See, no hijack lol
    grewen, admiral, Ken and 1 others like this.
    2002 TW200 "The Punisher"
    1998 DR350r
    1996 KDX 200
    Riding in and around the great state of Michigan (usually)

Dieting is THE most effective performance upgrade for a TW.
    Mel, elime, goldenhtr and 8 others like this.
    2013 Yamaha TW200

1996 Yamaha TW200

1995 Kawasaki KLR650

2002 Yamaha RoadStar 1600 with sidecar

Quote Originally Posted by scotti158 View Post
    Dieting is THE most effective performance upgrade for a TW.
    Too bad the fat tires remind me of doughnuts.

Quote Originally Posted by Xracer View Post
    Too bad the fat tires remind me of doughnuts.
    HaHa, me too. And when they are wet its Glazed Donuts.
    Remember all those Krispy Kreme shops? I used to inhale those.
    Mattwings likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links