Have I outgrown my TW200?
Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    When I floated around the idea of buying a TW200 as my first motorcycle to a few of my friends, all of them said the same thing:

"Dude, just go ahead and buy a bigger bike. You're gonna outgrow that little 200 so fast it's not even worth buying."

Let me tell you, those first couple of days of riding I was very glad that I didn't listen to them! The power and weight of the TW200 were intimidating enough, I can't imagine how I would have felt on something bigger, faster, or taller. It didn't take long to grow comfortable on the bike though, and after 3 days of tooling around the neighborhood getting a feel for the clutch and the brakes I started using the bike as my primary commuter vehicle.

That was about 2 months ago now, and about a week ago I was heading home along the main drag here in town and I topped out the throttle a little sooner than I was expecting. The gut-check was immediate. Were the critics right? Did I just waste a lot of money on a small displacement bike? Have I outgrown my TW200?

It was then that I realized I was lucky to have not been passing a speed camera. I didn't need more throttle, I needed less. I realized that a 200cc motorcycle might be just the thing to keep an overconfident greenhorn from becoming one of those greasy spots you so often see alongside mangled CBRs still sporting temporary plates.

The next day I went out and did about 40 miles of the incredibly twisty 2-lane roads that run through Saguaro National Park West. The posted speed limit is 35, and many of the turns are marked at only 15 or 20mph. It was good practice, and it made me realize that while a little more oomph might be nice on the straightaways, I still have a lot of riding to do before I can boast anything close to mastery of this bike.

I just thought I'd share my thoughts on this, in case anybody out there was on the fence about the TW200 because they're scared of "outgrowing" it quickly.

I think the TW is a fantastic bike to master the basics with, and isn't it a good idea to really master the basics before you saddle up a big bike that might get you into trouble faster than you know how to handle it?

Beyond that, my experiences off-pavement with the TW have proven to me that even once I actually AM ready for some more displacement on-road, there will always be a spot in my garage for the fat-bottomed little trail bike that could!
    2011 TW200 - Sold - after 9700 miles and 1,000,000 smiles. So long Tee Dub!
    2012 KLR650
    - Sold
    2013 Tiger Explorer XC
    2014 CB500X - RRP L3

Hey, good thinking. Unless you pay to much or sell to quickly the bike is a good investment (financially and from a startup/training/experience point of view. If you keep your aspirations modest, you might consider just adding another bike rather than replacing this one. I could afford 3 Japanese bikes for what one used Harley would cost me and thats not even considering BMWs or fancy Italian rides. Work up the ladder as you feel the need, but just remember because they will run xxxmph, you don't have to ride them that fast. Tom
    Tom - TW200 2002, Kawasaki VN 500 2006

Hidden Content

Central New Mexico

Nice to read this. The TW is the first bike I've ridden on the road in more years than I want to admit. More recently I've done some dirt riding on borrowed bikes. This week I've taken a couple of 20-30 miles rides in the mountains around here to get some practice. The TW is perfect for my skill level (lack of I should say!) in these conditions.

One time today I thought I needed more power going up a hill. I downshifted and all was well. I didn't need more speed!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

TW200 has the right power level to stop older idiots like me killing ourselves.

Good Morning,

Good thoughts in all of the posts. I say, when bored, just find a tougher trail and you will again greatly appreciate the TW200 especially since the heavier faster dual purpose bikes won't be able to follow. Now, my XR650L dual purpose bike was much more trail than road and had seemingly unlimited power, was a pleasure to ride, was much more of an off road bike than a KLR, but the high side fear factor just did not make riding it any fun on some of the trails that are quite comfortable on the TW. It was a great ride to work but it's weight and height were a negative factor in the rough. All in all it was a pretty amazing bike but I'm still very happy with the switch to the TW. My wife is really happy as she enjoys riding on the back of the TW whereas she was terrified on the 650. However, if I had the money I certainly would have kept the 650 as a second bike as it was truly unique and the better you could ride the more it could do - if stuck in mud though, not sure you could ever drag it out by yourself. I could barely lift it out of a snowdrift when the back wheel would sink in. With all of the deer on the highway around here I'm better off without it and that urge to accelerate fast that comes with lots of power.

When looking back at past bikes one has owned there will be a couple you very much regretted getting rid of. In my case, one was of the first generation of trials bike that Honda came out with - a TL250 4-valve, 4-stroke. It weighed 220 lbs (fat for a trials bike), had a wide ratio gear box, and back then I could make it minimally street legal easily. There is nothing you could buy now at a reasonable price (like that one was) that could hold a candle to it off the road in the really slow going tough stuff. It was simple and bullet proof. So, why oh why did I sell it (guess I really wanted that 270lb XR500) - anyway something to think about - sometimes trading up is trading down.

Dan

I purchased a 2012 back in April with 2 main objectives. #1 being able to get back out there on two wheels and #2 it being my primary transportation to go back and forth to work. (16 mi. roundtrip) Purchasing the TW avoided me having to get into an expensive 'new' car payment and enabled me to put my vehicle with 145,000 miles in the driveway for a 'rainy day' (pun intended)

I have put 2,200 miles on the new TW in just over two months. The power is more than ample for the posted speed limits where I live. The gas mileage savings is awesome! Sure I could buy a bigger bike that goes faster and eats more gas, but WHY?

How fast do we actually need to go? Is going faster any safer or even legal for that matter? Sure if I had the money I would have a garage or two full of expensive fast toys... reality is I don't. I am appreciative and thankful for what I have though and yes I love my TW!!!

Be safe & Keep on TW 'ing,

Matt Ward

- 2012 Yamaha TW200 -

Good points all round!

As the years of riding the increase so to does the common sense.

200 ccs putting out about 14 hp in truth is a lot of ummph. Add that to a nifty handling nimble bike and you have just explained why we love TW's.

Perhaps like some of you I dream of taking a long trip someday. When I do I think I need a more powerful bike. Something with a huge increase in power over the TW like a WR250 or the upcoming CRF250L from Honda.

But then I think about what I will really do, low speed back roads, and recognize that I don't need the complexity of a newer design. The TW works.

But the dream remains. My wildest dream is of course Alaska. I spent a month up there last summer working for a fishing outfitter. I could have used a vehicle like a TW to get around so I didn't have to walk everywhere to fish or take a shower or do laundry. My dream would be to ride up through Idaho, then Canada and through. Then on the way back take the Ferry through the inside passage (from Haines) and then ride down the coast.

But the examples of ronniedog and lizrdbrth here who road their TW's 1000 miles in less than 24 hours at "high speed" demonstrate that you don't need more than a TW to do some long miles. You just need an iron butt!

So really, what more do I need? I don't want to go faster than 55 on a motorcycle!

Here's my 2cents. I've been riding over 40+ years.. 200,000+ miles.. 7 bikes.. When I bought our t-Dubs 6 years ago the sales guy told me that I would be bored in a week........... "NOT" true.. I have a very cool triumph america that I can hop on and get the trill... But I just love the dubs, we just got back from a 25 mile ride on back roads that I would never take my trump. If you can see yourself some day with two bikes then keep learning on the dub while saving for bigger iron. OMM.

The TW is a fun little bike. What I have learned is there is no perfect motorcycle, bigger ones are faster and lots of fun, but there is something about riding a small displacement bike that just puts a smile on your face, I don't see too many Harley riders just smiling and having fun. The TW200 definitely lacks that throttle adrenaline rush but when you get somewhere spectacular that the big bikes can't get too its a real life moment.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links