Helmet Communicators
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: Helmet Communicators

Helmet Communicators

Any use bluetooth communicators or similar technology to communicate with other riders? I am interested in at least a pair and maybe one of the units that can pair with other users as well. Any feedback is appreciated and I thought the group might enjoy some discussion as well.
    SanDue, Ken and TopPredator like this.
    2002 TW200 "The Punisher"
    1998 DR350r
    1996 KDX 200
    Riding in and around the great state of Michigan (usually)

I just bought a pair of Sena 10S.
    Just put them to use today. I was riding double with my wife. They worked nice. Haven't tried them bike to bike yet.
    Mattwings, TopPredator and Ken like this.

I have the Scala Rider Q3 set. I love it for listening to music but they are extremely frustrating and unreliable as communicators.
    Ken, TopPredator, SanDue and 1 others like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

My girlfriend and I use ours all the time. Both bike to bike and when on the same bike, they work fantastic. I have also used mine a bunch on group rides with others that have them. For my girlfriend and I they have been invaluable. She just got her license 3 years ago and when she first started riding i was able to give her coaching when i thought she needed it or asked for it and being able to just talk about the ride and the scenery etc as we go adds a lot of enjoyment for both of us.

One thing to know is there is no universal standard amongst the different brands for the frequency so they all don't just work together. For instance a Cardo Scala wont work with a Nolan, etc. Sena is the only one that i know of that has kind of solved that by allowing you to pair two different brands via bluetooth instead of RF provided the non sena unit has bluetooth. It works but its not without its quirks, bluetooth range isn't very far and if you get out of range and it drops it may not reconnect which requires a re-pair. Also if you are in a large group with a bunch of sena's the guy with the other brand will only be able to talk to one rider.

What i would recommend doing is finding out what the folks you ride with use and buy that brand. I originally had Cardo Scala g9 and g9x units and they worked great but the guys i ride with all have Sena units so i ended up swapping for that reason alone. It made sense since when we ride in a large group its nice to be able to talk to everybody not just one other rider.

If you end up going with Sena units i highly recommend the 20s or the new 30k, if you ride in large groups the 30k may be the way to go. I have the 20s and the " audio multitasking" is worth the price of admission. If you like music you can have that and still communicate seamlessly or if you are using a GPS same deal. After having that feature i don't think i could do without it.

If you decide to get a Cardo Scala unit i have a G9x currently for sale, details are in the classifieds on this site, its hardly used and works perfect, you could save a few bucks and have to buy only one unit at full retail.
    Pair of 2006 TW's modded to the hilt and a Ducati Multistrada.

Hidden Content

We have the UclearAmp plus Bluetooth head sets. What I like about them is they are waterproof , have big speakers for inside the helmet ( we are hard of hearing) and they have no antenna that sticks up. They should pair with the Senas and other blue tooth head sets. The range with one set is line of sight go around a corner over 1/2 mile and you will lose connection. They always reconnect. The range with multiple Uclear sets is over 2 miles as they will leap frog the connection. They should connect with @ 8 units We like being able to talk together just as JB882 says.
    ”Everything You Know is Wrong”

” How Can You Be in Two Places at Once When You Are Nowhere at All?”

Twin 2014 TW200's made side by side on the assembly line, Moose rear racks, Protaper ATV high bars, DG oval pipes, kick starters, rejetted carbs, 130 main jets, 2 -3 -.020 shims on the needles and @ 2 1/2 turns on the pilot screw, #34 pilot jets, Acerbis hand guards, Shinko 241 front tires, modified Krator foot pegs, 14-55t sprockets, Ricochet skid plates and 90 degree fuel filters.

I've been using Sena SMH-10 for a few years. Communication with my son on back worked great. The ability to take calls and listen to Audible books, music makes the long rides much more interesting. I'm very pleased with the Senas, so I would have to read all the reviews on others before I bought anything else.
    Peterb, SanDue, Mattwings and 1 others like this.

Wow, for the price of some of these units, I think I'll just yell.
    2013 Yamaha TW200

1996 Yamaha TW200

1995 Kawasaki KLR650

2002 Yamaha RoadStar 1600 with sidecar

We got some kind of communicators for Christmas last year. I have no idea the brand but pretty sure they're not Sena's. Mrs. Admiral is protesting the use. Says she wants to sigh, grumble, swear (at me), without me actually hearing her while out riding. I did charge them up and sinc them about 6 months ago. I spoke into the mic and could hear my words on the speaker of the other set but this was on the dining room table and not in a helmet.

Guess we'll continue to use smoke signals as it's worked pretty good for us so far. I kind of understand some of Mrs. Admiral's hand gestures too but I shouldn't repeat them here.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

So far we have done OK without them. There have been a couple of occasions where itmwould habe come in handy when i lost him behind me. My son will start riding on the street with me this spring and it seems like both from a safety and convenience perspective it will be nice to have. I don't think range will be as important as simplicity (1/4 mile should be good). Right now the Sena 10s looks like the best price vs. performance and simplicity factors. Fun to shop till xmas for something new!
    2002 TW200 "The Punisher"
    1998 DR350r
    1996 KDX 200
    Riding in and around the great state of Michigan (usually)

My wife and I use the Uclear HBC 200s. Love them, they can be easily moved from helmet to helmet(from my wife's to my son's when we ride together) if you like.
    Last edited by goldenhtr; 10-11-2017 at 06:29 PM.
    A very very wise man once said “it’s more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow”.

"Now then get your weapons... and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me"
    Gen:27:3

“I've noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born.”
    -Ronald Reagan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links