Should i get a TW200?? or??
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Should i get a TW200?? or??

Question Should i get a TW200?? or??

So I grew up on dirt bikes and I also ride Harley's. I have a YZ 250 2-stroke which has been my favorite bike (out of many I've had) for years. But I am old, out of practice and out of shape (weak and busted up). My 2nd husband and I keep falling down. We have had knee surgeries from wrecks. We're getting to old to ride our motocross bikes, no matter how much we promise to ride mellow, it just doesn't seem to work. My husband has not come to the reality of this yet, I fear it will take a few more doctor bills before he comes to it. I on the other hand do not like going to work hurting and fear the problems I will have in old age.

My husbands Idea is ATV's. I just dont feel this is a safer idea, UTV's? I just dont think 4 wheels are my style. I cant stand the feeling of not being able to jump off the dang thing! I would really rather just have a light weight, short (i'm 5'5), trail bike with decent hill climbing power. We love to ride in the forested mountains.

I don't need street legal. TW200 is the one that has been recommended to me to get. I have seen them but not ridden them.

Depending on your inseam the TW200 may be still a little tall for you, although there are a couple of things you can do to have it lowered. If you do not need a street legal ride you might consider looking for a trials bike, they are low and very agile with the right rider, almost defying gravity. Although I am not sure how much a trials bike would cost as I rarely see them being sold whereas a TW would be easier to find and there is a demand for them so no problem selling once you move on. I suggest you see if you can find someone on here close enough for you to give one a try, hopefully you'll love it and we get a new member to share stories with.
    Ken, Badgerflorida and bikrchic like this.
    Hidden Content Sold...Oct 2018......'01 F650GS

Senior Member DARIVS ARCHITECTVS's Avatar
    If you have experience on dirtbikes, but feeling insecure about he height and speed given your reduced physical abilities, the TW-200 may be just for you, if for no other reason than they are low in HP and slower. They get you there, just not fast with your hair on fire. They are low as offroad bikes go, such that you can sit flat footed on them and walk them through sand and mud or over rocky places. A such, tipping one over is minimized. They weigh 278 lbs. which is on the light side, and have enough torque down low to let your crawl out of most things. If you get stuck, two of you can muscle one out of the deep muck. They cruise at 45-48 mph, but can do 60 mph for short spurts, but take a few seconds to get up there. They are best suited for trail crawling in the woods (hence TrailWay-200). If you bail off of one when you lose your balance, you don't have far to fall, since you step off the bike more than fall off the bike. Bigger than mini-bikes, smaller than tall dirt bikes. Easy riding. Best thing is to try one out at a dealer or find a friend that has one to test ride. Then, you'll truly know if they are right for you.
    DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
    (Darius the Engineer)

1944 DKW NZ350-1 11. Panzerdivision
    2003 BMW R1150GS Adventure
    2010 Yamaha TW200 (cuz it's cute)

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

get a honda fat Cat!!!-!-- it has the lowest seat height auto clutch and is such a freaking pleasure to ride. its super capable and exactly what you're looking for. best bike ivw ever owned and is the perfect bike for a smaller female rider. also you can put carbides in the tires and ride it on snow and ice.

Sent from my LGL63BL using Tapatalk
    bikrchic, Peterb and Ken like this.

Thank you everybody! fat Cat...thats a new recommendation, need to watch more videos on that. Someone on this sight offered to let me ride there TW200, she lives close by me. YAY! But we are not buying until our latest doctor bills are paid off, lol. Next summer probably. I am just doing my homework to find the perfect fit when Hubby decides its time to buy. When he decides I have to know what "i" want or he will make the choice for me, he gets anxious. We have our motocross bikes parked, bought some old ATVS we're are trying out. Not really wanting a ATV. They don't feel more safe to me, rather be on my dirt bike and get hurt, than under a 4 wheeler. Trials bike was suggested, i liked the videos i watched, I like that it looks like a play toy, but no seat... not sure how comfy I would be on our half day rides in the forest mountains. I appreciate YOUR COMMENTS EVERYONE.
    Badgerflorida and Howsbentley like this.

Fat Cat is a great idea. I forgot all about those. Might be hard to find, but definitely matches your needs. Good luck. From a monetary standpoint, I think the TW is the dollar value champion, primarily because of the large market. If you don’t like it, they are pretty quick to sell without losing a ton of money.

Here is one that was lowered without too much money and work. I’m hearing about more and more people doing this.

01 SOLD
    96 SOLD
    89 restored SOLD
    89 (restoration in process)
    05 (restoration in process)
    03 SOLD
    04 in great condition

Half day forest rides are good on TW200s.
    They would give you the flexibility to be capable on everything from logging roads to skitter tracks, single tracks, horse trails & jeep roads.
    The street legality can come in handy and can become habit forming. Sometimes public roads can help expand the riding areas one can see in a day of backcountry exploration. I do some rides where I can meander further afield knowing that an upcoming road intersection will permit a quicker more relaxing return to base or fuel than backtracking over some tiring trail.
    Last edited by Fred; 10-11-2017 at 04:31 PM.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Take a TW for a test ride, I think you'll like it!
    Last edited by TW-Brian; 10-11-2017 at 06:28 PM. Reason: fixed typo

I was never on a motorcycle until about a year ago when I got my TW. I bought it because it was low, I could get my feet down, and it was sure footed. Having nothing to compare it to, I just assumed it was fine for what I was using it for. Fast forward a year and I had the urge to be able to get on the highway if really necessary and to hopefully gear up with gear and do some light touring. So I traded it for a DR650. After a couple rides on the DR, even with a brand new set of tires on it, I now see just how damn good the TW was at being a road-legal trail bike. I noticed right away how much more stable and 'stuck' to the ground the TW was compared to the DR. Even just manhandling it to turn on a sAndy trail I find the DR''s extra weight and skinnier tires makes it want to cut into the ground on a diagonAL and then put it off balance where the fat tires on the TW would ride on top instead of cutting g in. I notice way more twitchyness even on a light coat of gravel on top of a hard packed dirt road. And I've already dropped it trying to haul it up the small ramp leading into the shed.
    In my limited riding experience, I'd call the TW the right bike if you just want to sit on it and have it carry you along without having to put a lot of thought into staying upright.
    Those fat tire's and light weight really make it a superb, sure footed little trail donkey. Once I get my fill of whatever mild touring I'm able to get done, I can totally see myself getting another TW.

I have ridden for 50 years, mostly dirt, with a mix of road riding, once was good enough to have sponsored races; until a severely broken ankle put me out of racing; Enduro and Cross Country. I have had my TW-200 for 4 months now, I admit that it does not have the powerband of off-road racing bikes, but it has a standard setup that allows you to "ride" basically anywhere you wish to go; and you can modify it to your preference. I was out of practice, I found some "Powerline Trails" along an old tractor path, I couldn't resist; I climbed, descended, and traversed hills and valleys with my TW that day, that I could not have on any bike with a "True Powerband", I would have busted my ass. I stopped, surveyed each hill before attacking it, found my route, twisted the throttle and hung on, I went up those hills with no issues, only slipping was if I slide sideways into a rutt, but throttle variation with that fat rear tire took me safely up, or down, all those hills; younger riders on dirt bikes and 4-wheelers were stumped because they saw me doing a couple of hills that several of them have yet to conquer. Yes, I have lots of past experience, but the TW only adds to that; I can't recommend it enough for you and your husband, based on your post. I'll gladly answer any questions you have; I obtained my TW because I still wanted to ride off-road and explore, but didn't want to have a bike with too much pep to prevent me from being stupid and getting hurt...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links