TW200 for Senior Rider
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I'm 73 and had figured I'm simply too old to ride. Then, I saw a like-new TW200 for sale at my local Yamaha dealer. This was the bike I learned on at my rider education course some 15 years ago. I like it so much, I bought one back then. Now I'm tempted again. I'd just use it to ride around the neighborhood and on local roads. Any advice?

If you want it, buy it. If you haven't rode for awhile, respect it. Since you have already owned one you know what you're getting into.

Have fun, and keep us posted.

Advice:

1. It will only hold 2 passengers at a time so limit the number of ladies you pickup, even if they do chase you down the street.

2. Always pay attention - its the moments of stupidity that will cause you to dump the bike.

3. Once its down on its side, forget about being embarrassed - you already are -so leave it there until you can get focused and or sufficient help to pick it up.

4. (and this probably my best advice) - follow your instincts and don't accept advice from strangers and certainly don't try to keep up with someone else who is pushing their envelope and threatening your safety with to little respect for safety. Us old guys don't heal as fast, nor do we want to spend time on the sidelines when our playing time is limited.

5. You will never be any younger than you are now, probably never any healthier than you are now, and the way things look you will never have any more money than you have now so let those three axioms guide your decision. Me - I'm going riding.

Tom
    Tom - TW200 2002, Kawasaki VN 500 2006

Hidden Content

Central New Mexico

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

[quote name='daveb' date='22 July 2012 - 12:47 PM' timestamp='1342979257' post='50887']

I'm 73 and had figured I'm simply too old to ride. Then, I saw a like-new TW200 for sale at my local Yamaha dealer. This was the bike I learned on at my rider education course some 15 years ago. I like it so much, I bought one back then. Now I'm tempted again. I'd just use it to ride around the neighborhood and on local roads. Any advice?

Go for it. I am just a touch younger than you (almost 53) and still was able to pick up a 28 year old who just wanted (unfortunately) only to go for a ride. Still was great!!!!

I ride with a guy who's 72.

When our group rides the Forest Service roads around here,

he stops every few miles to wait for the rest of us to catch up.

He just got back from riding dirt in CO and UT.

Trucked his XT225 out.

OTOH, he is clearly nuts.

It's guys your age that continue to inspire old guys like me to ride. Bravo !

#4 of peruano advice is A#1! Also, and forgive me if you already had this on your to do list, get all the gear! New helmet, bots, armoured jacket & pants, & gloves, I like the ones with "Kevlar" in them, I just picked up a pair for around $40.00 on line. PM me if you want to know where I got them, that will give you an idea of what to shop around for. Then take it easy for your first few rides, get your bike legs back. m.

I didn't expect the quantity or the quality of your replies. Many thanks. Tonight I revealed to my wife that I was thinking of getting one more bike. She's concerned, but I think she understands. I'll keep you posted. Thanks again.

I'm a senior rider also. I rode in high school in 1967-1971. I had been a bicycle rider for years when I got the urge to ride a Motorcycle again. I took the training course and got my license. I found a 2003 TW200 with just 200 miles on it two years ago. I bought all the armor I, helmet, boots etc. I have now put about 1500 miles on the bike and I love the ride. I stay off the major interstates and keep to the back roads and trails. I think if you take it slow and pay attention to the surroundings you will enjoy the bike. Go for it!

Daveb and Newbie, I'm 78, but don't you dare call me a "senior rider". 8=) I don't think people who want to ride ever get "too old to ride."

People develop physical limitations which can make riding difficult or inadvisable. They can also develop mental limitations. Same with attitude.

People don't just get too old to ride, though. It is the conditions which determine whether or not they should ride. Age is just a number.

I know a Canadian in another motorcycle club who still rides sport bikes, and he is in his mid-80s.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links