• 1 Post By Purple
  • 1 Post By jannaruto
  • 2 Post By jannaruto

Thread: Tires on the TW200

Tires on the TW200

Hey guys,

actually on my TW I have a TW204 on the back and a TW31 on the front
    So the back one is a street one, the front one is a trial one
    I've read on the forum that that specifically front one is called not Trail Wing but Death Wing?
    Is that dangerous? I mean mine is kinda worn out but but still if I have to make strong braking or kinda "hard" things it never failed under me, sometime I brake so hard that I can't even remain seated properly for the sudden deceleration but the front tire never slips

I wants some opeinion if possible on that tire?
    I am planning to replace both of them anyway, the rear and the front one, the rear will be again a Bridgestone 204 (I already have a brand new one) the front one I am fighting between the TW31 and the TW203
    I ride mostly (probably only) on the asphalt, but in the city where I live (neaples) the asphalt is mostly like this, check the link please
    https://www.google.it/search?biw=192....0.HbDQUGPxRsQ

Ignore the holes and the really bad streets, they are not like that, but the street type is called "sanpietrini" those are small (like a closed punch) squares, or very big squares (like the size of a small pizza)
    most naples is made with those
    Do you think is better to use a TW31 or a TW203?
    littletommy likes this.

TW203 is a good match for your circumstances

We call the TW31 the “death wing” because of its tendency to “wipe out” without warning on mud, grass, anything soft and wet

Always try to match tread patterns front and rear – so for you, 203 + 204
    littletommy likes this.
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Purple View Post
    TW203 is a good match for your circumstances

We call the TW31 the “death wing” because of its tendency to “wipe out” without warning on mud, grass, anything soft and wet

Always try to match tread patterns front and rear – so for you, 203 + 204
    How is in comparison the grip on pure asphalt?
    Asking because the look of my front tire compared to all other street front is way way cooler and better, the bike has a a whole different face I love that the most but... How will the street compare to the trial?

Even people on the street loom at that front tire when we are together, I can assure and see them...

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Certainly the 203/204 combination esthetically is a proper match. However my limited experience on sanpietrini ( cobblestones ) is that they can be very slippery when wet. For some reason the stock TW31 seems to do poorly compared to other more trials oriented tires on wet surfaces, but is not really dangerous. Off-road riders like me perhaps unfairly call the TW31 a “Death Wing” after some unexpected tire sliding experiences. trailg1.JPG
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

They are either recoiling in horror – or giving you admiring glances for having the balls to run with that thing on the front – but then some of them may be sadists

Grip on asphalt is about the same for both tires ….
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

Naples, Italy? The little experience I have on cobblestones left me thinking I needed an enduro tire. Even while I was riding a HD touring bike. I’d be interested to hear from someone with a lot of cobblestone experience. I never dealt with wet cobble. Cheers.
    01 SOLD
    96 SOLD
    89 restored SOLD
    89 (restoration in process)
    05 (restoration in process)
    03 SOLD
    04 in great condition

Well I never slipped on them, actually the only time I slipped and falled down (I was basically almost stopped, like 5kmh) was a super sharp turn with probably a lot of dirt on the ground, mounted the disc brake and used them for few time (so I didn't know the full potential yet) a car was in this road I needed to enter, didn't see the car, turned and braked, the front slipped from under me, basically that's the only time I falled from my bike, but overall sometime I ride kinda hard on the cobblestones and no problems at all, just 1 time as far as I remember I "lost" the rear tire and it grabbed again traction, like a little drift (i dunno how to wheelie, or drift, burnouts or similar, never learned haha, so i was cought by surprise) but the bike as said gained traction instantly after, as mentioned above the only actual fall was because of my inexperience with brake discs and a sharp turn i never did before

On wet I generally drive slowly in any situation to be honest and here in naples (south italy) its almost all the year nice weather so... i drove the tw with wet surface (not actual raining) like 2-3 times max

Even on cobblestones I can brake quite hard, and with quite hard I mean the bike really slow down and quick quick quick, that's why I was wondering if the 203 would give me even more traction compared to the trial

Maybe I will look over the aesthethic which the trial on front IMHO is very beautiful
    Fred likes this.

When I went to the spring Green Ridge ride, an older fella had the stock "Death Wing" tire on the front. That part of Maryland was flooded in a lot of areas. The camp site where we stayed had to relocate us to higher ground. That guy with the stocker on the front had no trouble keeping up on those wet and slimy seasonal roads. If he was leading, you really better pay attention or you were going to be left behind. So, in the hands of a really good, seasoned rider, it will do OK. For mortals such as myself, anything is better than the stock tire off road.
    2013 Yamaha TW200

1996 Yamaha TW200

1995 Kawasaki KLR650

2002 Yamaha RoadStar 1600 with sidecar

Mounted yesterday the new tires, the rear one was already a street one so no difference
    The front one I came from the trial one to the street one, quite a difference while driving, the bike goes "up and down" easier when you want to turn, less vibrations while riding at certains speeds, infact I can't tell anymore by hands how fast I am going, I used to tell which gear and speed I was accordingly to noise (which is the same) and vibrations, now I need to re-calibrate myself haha
    Overall I don't know if I feel "safer" or not driving with the street tires
    Only thing I know is that right after mounting them I almost crashed becauser a car was exiting from a parking, the car in front of me braked and turned away from the car exiting and the car hit me with the door quite hard, the bike flinched but it stayed put on the ground and I was still on the bike full control
    Trial tire I would have fall? I never know, but so far the street tire had its first test hahahahaha
    Purple and Howsbentley like this.

Sponosred Links