Thinking about a tw
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hello everyone. I've been lerking around for a little while and decided to sign up. I currently have 3 motorcycles, a 2003 Yamaha FZ1, 85 Honda nighthawk 700s and a 97 Suzuki DR 650. I've always been intrieged with the TW200 and now that I've been doing a little bit of camping and have a pop up camper with a 4X7 bed on the front I was thinking the tw would be a cool little bike to take on camping trips. It seems that golf carts and scooters are very popular for getting around at most campgrounds that we have been to. A golf cart is out of the question and I'm really not interested in a scooter. I was thinking the tw would be a great camp bike that could obviously be used as a light duty trail bike and local commuting.

I've had my DR and My nighthawk up on the camper a couple times already and it works out just fine but I was thinking that the TW's lighter weight would be better suited for towing on the front of the camper for long trips. The maximum bed weight is 500lbs and I can feel the difference when towing with the larger bikes on the bed.

With all that being said, is there anything I should be looking for when checking out used tw's. They seem to hold thier value pretty well, all the used ones i've seen have been priced pretty high.
    2016 TW200
    2015 Honda Grom 125
    2012 Honda Ruckus
    2003 Honda VTX 1300s

Price is something that you get lucky with if you look long enough. Start with our section here for bikes for sale.. Then do the normal looking in papers etc.. It is very rare to stumble on one sitting along side a road...

I've seen great bikes with low miles go for $1,500 up to $2,500. New ones go for about 4G's... Good luck. OMM.

Quote Originally Posted by omm View Post
    Price is something that you get lucky with if you look long enough. Start with our section here for bikes for sale.. Then do the normal looking in papers etc.. It is very rare to stumble on one sitting along side a road...

I've seen great bikes with low miles go for $1,500 up to $2,500. New ones go for about 4G's... Good luck. OMM.
    a friend just picked up a 02 with 6k miles for $1800.. Craigslist.(just be careful of scams). I bought mine on E-bay ~ 2005 with 700 miles on it for $2800.. look for good condition , low miles . low price and get the disc brake !!! enjoy ~

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by riderskate View Post
    Hello everyone. I've been lerking around for a little while and decided to sign up. I currently have 3 motorcycles, a 2003 Yamaha FZ1, 85 Honda nighthawk 700s and a 97 Suzuki DR 650. I've always been intrieged with the TW200 and now that I've been doing a little bit of camping and have a pop up camper with a 4X7 bed on the front I was thinking the tw would be a cool little bike to take on camping trips. It seems that golf carts and scooters are very popular for getting around at most campgrounds that we have been to. A golf cart is out of the question and I'm really not interested in a scooter. I was thinking the tw would be a great camp bike that could obviously be used as a light duty trail bike and local commuting.

I've had my DR and My nighthawk up on the camper a couple times already and it works out just fine but I was thinking that the TW's lighter weight would be better suited for towing on the front of the camper for long trips. The maximum bed weight is 500lbs and I can feel the difference when towing with the larger bikes on the bed.

With all that being said, is there anything I should be looking for when checking out used tw's. They seem to hold thier value pretty well, all the used ones i've seen have been priced pretty high.

I started out looking for a used one too, and I also found that used TW200s in my area were priced pretty high by both private sellers and dealers alike. Why not spend $1000 more for a brand new one? I found that my options were either dirt cheap basket cases, overpriced gambles (even 200 miles is plenty to destroy a motorcycle!), or buying new. I found a last year's model on closeout about 100 miles away for less out the door than used TWs at local dealers.

I understand that you can save a lot of cash if you buy used, but I wasn't looking for a project. I wanted a motorcycle that I could ride without worrying about too much so I paid a little more for peace of mind.

TW200s are pretty cheap brand new, and I think the very existence of this forum should show that those of us who own them are pretty happy to keep riding them, so why not invest a little extra for a bike that you're gonna love owning for years to come.

Just my $0.02. Project vehicles are fun, and if I'm after a project than I'm happy to buy used, but if I want something that's gonna turn more corners than wrenches I think new is the way to go.
    2011 TW200 - Sold - after 9700 miles and 1,000,000 smiles. So long Tee Dub!
    2012 KLR650
    - Sold
    2013 Tiger Explorer XC
    2014 CB500X - RRP L3

Quote Originally Posted by DonBenito View Post
    I started out looking for a used one too, and I also found that used TW200s in my area were priced pretty high by both private sellers and dealers alike. Why not spend $1000 more for a brand new one? I found that my options were either dirt cheap basket cases, overpriced gambles (even 200 miles is plenty to destroy a motorcycle!), or buying new. I found a last year's model on closeout about 100 miles away for less out the door than used TWs at local dealers.

I understand that you can save a lot of cash if you buy used, but I wasn't looking for a project. I wanted a motorcycle that I could ride without worrying about too much so I paid a little more for peace of mind.

TW200s are pretty cheap brand new, and I think the very existence of this forum should show that those of us who own them are pretty happy to keep riding them, so why not invest a little extra for a bike that you're gonna love owning for years to come.

Just my $0.02. Project vehicles are fun, and if I'm after a project than I'm happy to buy used, but if I want something that's gonna turn more corners than wrenches I think new is the way to go.
    Really great advice.It can be Christmas or Halloween when buying used. If youhave the "know abouts" to properly check out a used one , by all means, go for it. You want to ride with a warranty ~ Buy new. (California riders will still benefit from minor carb. adjustments.)

Have cash handy and be patient. Good deals come along and you have to pounce.

Be prepared to install a new chain and maybe clean the carb but the savings will far out weigh a few hours work.

Or buy new and be done with it.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

I opted to buy a brand new 2012. Buying 'used' just scares me. For an additional $285 I extended the warranty for 5 full years. I am treating 'her' right and plan on riding her for many years to come.

Be safe & Keep on TW 'ing,

Matt Ward

- 2012 Yamaha TW200 -

My wife and I bought new 2006 twin dubs, but that's how I do it most of the time.. Then 6 years later my buddy found a 2006 that someone that we knew had just sitting around... Well it had less than 2,000 mile.. Perfect shape and paid $2,600.. So for $1,500 he's got a great bike...

The difference of course was the fact my wife and I have been enjoying ours for 6 years more than he has...... OMM.

Thanks for all the advice.

What year did the tw start comming with the front disc?
    2016 TW200
    2015 Honda Grom 125
    2012 Honda Ruckus
    2003 Honda VTX 1300s

2001 was the year that TW's lost the kickstarter and picked up the front disc brake.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links