I think we are getting taken
Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree136Likes

Thread: I think we are getting taken

I think we are getting taken

Working on my bike tonight I notice many things I haven't seen on bikes since 1878. And some never. Every part is steel. Almost no aluminum parts. Another is bushings in the swing arm pivot in place of needle bearings. Drum rear brake. A shock who's only purpose is to hold a spring from falling out. The shock has no linkage. It doesnt even have a threaded bolt holding the shock to the swingarm. They use a cotter pin. And these things are fine.They work. It's a TW. Low and slow. I get it. Don't like it don't buy it

My point is, why is the same basic bike that has been produced cost 4600?
    It's bare bones basic. No new tooling needed since 1987.
    TheJapanese must be laughing at us.

A new yz450 is 9200. The darn bike is tuned with Bluetooth off your phone it's so advanced. You could make 5 TWs for the effort of making 1 new YZ. Never mind the cost of the race team it takes to advertise this amazing race machine

Doesn't really matter to me. I ride a 87 with no hopes of owning a new TW any time soon. Just pointing out that I think the TW should really cost much less.

Yammy is just trying to recoup some of the money they lost trying to make a Harley.
    2017 XR650l
    2014 NC700X
    2005 ST-1300
    Wanted TW450

It's funny, my perspective is 100% opposite. This is a low volume niche bike. Almost everything on it is exclusive to this bike. I think it is still made in Japan? Compare a Cr250l- made in Thailand or Malaysia? Sells at 10x or more the rate of TW, for 30% more? Actual component costs is similar, way more replacement part market ( huge source of profit) has multiple models benefiting from R&D and development costs. Even at that, still likley not a huge profit center for Honda, especially in the U.S. How does Yamaha still sell it? How do they, adjusted for inflation, still build, market, distribute and warranty anything at the price they command? You may be right, they could be laughing all the way to the bank, but I appreciate they still manufacture and support the bike!
    Badgerflorida and Ken like this.
    2002 TW200 "The Punisher"
    1998 DR350r
    1996 KDX 200
    Riding in and around the great state of Michigan (usually)

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Working on my bike tonight I notice many things I haven't seen on bikes since 1878.” I think Mat has been working on bikes for quite a long time.
    They don’t build them like they used to, wasn't 1878 the year they dropped the stock rifle scabbard?
    Then riders started loosing their rifles like this 130 plus year old one recently found leaning against a tree in Great Basin National Park,grba-old_rifle_1_nps_400.jpg
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Come on Fred. You know what I meant. I post from my phone most of the time because it's 5x faster than my I pad and those phone buttons are so little .

Although I'm happy to be alive now rather than 1878. I don't know what my personality would be like if I never found motorcycles

I like this forum so much because members let each other have opinions totally different than thier own yet not call each other horrible names anything of the sort. I can't say how refreshing that is to me.I can't really recall reading any kind of negative posting here. I'm sure it happend but I haven't seen it.
    I have yet to find a single place on the Internet for this to be the case but for here. Who would have thought owning a funny looking motorcycle would lead me to such a place.

And I too am happy they still produce this bike. I often say I didn't have less fun riding air cooled twin shock bikes than I do riding a modern hi tech mx bike. Or come off the mx track in 1981 saying "boy I wish they added a few double jumps I could barely make every lap hitting it wide open so no one would land on my back"
    I'm guessing TW riders are a group that ride just for the love of riding. And that's pretty cool
    Dryden-Tdub, Joemama, Fred and 3 others like this.
    87 TW

Typos happen...never heard of anyone "loosing" a rifle either!!

Right there with you maxpower, I'd love to drop some coin on a newer model but for now my '87 is my little slice of heaven!
    Ken likes this.

Totally agree! I like the conversation and for sure do not discount your perspective. I like to consider the what if's along those same lines of thought. What if Yamaha added a six speed, 225, fuel injected, even with the same travel, but modern rebound and compression damping suspension? 20hp and a top cruising gear, less brutal suspension? For $5k? Maybe the ultimate old guy bike, with a warranty...lol
    Rockit, Ken, Dryden-Tdub and 1 others like this.
    2002 TW200 "The Punisher"
    1998 DR350r
    1996 KDX 200
    Riding in and around the great state of Michigan (usually)

"bushings in the swing arm pivot in place of needle bearings"

Could be worse. A friend of mine has a Harley (please don't tell anyone) and his swing arm bushings wore out at like 20,000kms... turns out they are made of plastic and covered under warranty .. or you can pay extra and get an "upgrade" I really enjoyed the pretty girls and free buffet at the Harley dealer but I think the upgrade, 12 t-shirts and a hat cost him about $700.
    Mattwings and Ken like this.

Thanks for letting me get away with a little teasing, I couldn’t help myself.
    Ken likes this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Believe me, it hasn't always been so nice to hang out here... We've had a few buttheads come and go...
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxpower View Post
    Come on Fred. You know what I meant. I post from my phone most of the time because it's 5x faster than my I pad and those phone buttons are so little .

Although I'm happy to be alive now rather than 1878. I don't know what my personality would be like if I never found motorcycles

I like this forum so much because members let each other have opinions totally different than thier own yet not call each other horrible names anything of the sort. I can't say how refreshing that is to me.I can't really recall reading any kind of negative posting here. I'm sure it happend but I haven't seen it.
    I have yet to find a single place on the Internet for this to be the case but for here. Who would have thought owning a funny looking motorcycle would lead me to such a place.

And I too am happy they still produce this bike. I often say I didn't have less fun riding air cooled twin shock bikes than I do riding a modern hi tech mx bike. Or come off the mx track in 1981 saying "boy I wish they added a few double jumps I could barely make every lap hitting it wide open so no one would land on my back"
    I'm guessing TW riders are a group that ride just for the love of riding. And that's pretty cool
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links