Who has changed from trailer to hitch carrier, and vice versa?
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree77Likes

Thread: Who has changed from trailer to hitch carrier, and vice versa?

Who has changed from trailer to hitch carrier, and vice versa?

I am searching for my first TW, so it's time to consider how to transport it.
    littletommy and admiral like this.
    God made mud. God got lonesome. So God said to some of the mud, "Sit up!" "See all I've made," said God, "The hills, the sea, the sky, the stars." And I was some of the mud that got to sit up and look around. Lucky me, lucky mud. I, mud, sat up and saw what a nice job God had done.
    Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle

I use a hitch carrier. the front works best 56.JPG
    littletommy, ejfranz and fishguy like this.
    Greg

2019 honda cb500x
    2018 honda grom
    2018 suzuki dr200

I am currently considering a hitch carrier. I have an all aluminium ATV trailer with fold down sides that serve as ramps and it's about 8' square so it can handle two full size ATV's but we sold those 3 years ago and I removed the sides for now as last year I used it for a sled and the sled must be loaded from the rear. In any case it tows nice and is easy to move by hand but it is still cumbersome to pull just for a small bike like the TW so I'm thinking a hitch carrier might be the answer.
    ejfranz and littletommy like this.
    Hidden Content Sold...Oct 2018......'01 F650GS

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Cascade Rider View Post
    I am searching for my first TW, so it's time to consider how to transport it.
    My actual preference is a trailer but I use both depending on the circumstance. Grewn's front hitch carrier works well because he pulls a camper and has a topper on the back of his pickup. No room for him to pull a utility trailer.

Long distance I try to use the trailer because I can haul more stuff along, though you can stuff a bunch this stuff in the back of a pickup or SUV.

I try to use the hitch carrier (dual hitch carrier in my case) when we want to get back in the woods before we unload.

With our camper
    ejfranz, Mel, littletommy and 2 others like this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

I use both, I like the hitch carrier if I am going into the back country. Like Grewen, I have a front hitch also and prefer to carry the bike up front as it does not it covered with road grime. I use the trailer if I want more than 1 bike with me.
    image.jpg
    2001 TW200 sporting a MT43 up front. Duro has gone to a good home. 2015 VStrom XT, 1996 DT 200, Broken 2010 Xingue 400 XY. 2009 WR250r now shared with my son.

Quote Originally Posted by admiral View Post
    My actual preference is a trailer but I use both depending on the circumstance. Grewn's front hitch carrier works well because he pulls a camper and has a topper on the back of his pickup. No room for him to pull a utility trailer.

Long distance I try to use the trailer because I can haul more stuff along, though you can stuff a bunch this stuff in the back of a pickup or SUV.

I try to use the hitch carrier (dual hitch carrier in my case) when we want to get back in the woods before we unload.

With our camper
    What type of hitch do you have on the truck to carry 2 cycles? Some folks I know have installed a higher capacity hitch to carry 2 bikes.. Lots of discussion on that....

Jim
    admiral and littletommy like this.
    Hidden Content 2003 Tw200, 2014 BWS 150, 1969 VW Beetle Baja, 1972 Super Beetle and a 1987 Suzuki Samurai.

Quote Originally Posted by jtstdub View Post
    What type of hitch do you have on the truck to carry 2 cycles? Some folks I know have installed a higher capacity hitch to carry 2 bikes.. Lots of discussion on that....

Jim
    I have a tongue weight max of 850 lbs for my truck. 2 TW's loaded are about 250 lbs. under that. I'm not a mathologist but I suspect being extended lessons the max some but not enough for me to worry about.
    littletommy likes this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

if you want to tow something to live in, then that limits the options to the front bumper. 733.JPG

the only time having the bike on the front has became a pia, was when we needed alternate transportation...541.JPG
    Last edited by grewen; 10-17-2017 at 08:33 PM.
    admiral and littletommy like this.
    Greg

2019 honda cb500x
    2018 honda grom
    2018 suzuki dr200

Pictures of WR and Camper from our Alaska Trip.
    WR stayed clean on the front, besides bugs.
    Truck&WR_1.jpg Truck&WR_2.jpg
    admiral, littletommy and grewen like this.
    2001 TW200 sporting a MT43 up front. Duro has gone to a good home. 2015 VStrom XT, 1996 DT 200, Broken 2010 Xingue 400 XY. 2009 WR250r now shared with my son.

Quote Originally Posted by admiral View Post
    I have a tongue weight max of 850 lbs for my truck. 2 TW's loaded are about 250 lbs. under that. I'm not a mathologist but I suspect being extended lessons the max some but not enough for me to worry about.
    Yep, 2 ft out with just 1 bike doubles the torque/twist weight on the hitch... It is not only a downward weight but a torque weight. How much can the frame, where the hitch attaches becomes part of the load/twist application.

My F250's hitch is only mounted to the bottom lip of the C frame... Too much twist and the frame actually will bend at the attaching points. The hitches that not only attach to the bottom lip of the frame but also attach to the side are not susceptible to the twist.

Ask me how I know? Hahaha. Was not from a motor cycle rack..

A 3 ft extension doing flat towing a 2000lb vehicle, which does not have any tongue weight, encounters a deep DIP and it was a wow moment. For those that go to Sand Mountain near Fallon will know what I am talking about... I was watching a buggy on the mountain, doing about 20mph... uggggg. I did hit the brakes but it was too late.. It is a wonder that more damage was not done.... That camper weighs 4200lbs! I will not get into how the Toad was able to put that much downward pressure during the rapid deceleration and the down and up of the dip but it was pretty weird!

The ball on the hitch normally sits at 17"... The hitch twisted the frame lip where it attaches so the ball was at 9". It does not make too much of a twist to move the ball 8"...

I was able to get the frame back to normal and the ball now sits at 17" again. Just finished a trip of 400 mi towing, all excellent.

0917171549.jpg

This is my Truck, camper and Toad!

My goal is to be able to put my Tw-200 on the back of that Sammy.... I have the hitch installed on it to handle the weight but have not put the Dub on it yet. Want to do Moab with both the Sammy Zuke and my Dub... That way the Wife and I can go for rides and then I can go with the other DUBBERS on some of the group rides!

0617161258.jpg

Jim
    Last edited by jtstdub; 10-17-2017 at 12:09 PM.
    Mel, littletommy, grewen and 2 others like this.
    Hidden Content 2003 Tw200, 2014 BWS 150, 1969 VW Beetle Baja, 1972 Super Beetle and a 1987 Suzuki Samurai.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links