Is hauling one TW on a two bike trailer smart
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Is hauling one TW on a two bike trailer smart

Is hauling one TW on a two bike trailer smart

Looking for a TW and considering ways to carry it. If I choose a trailer built for two bikes (bringing a friend's along) but somedays only carrying mine, is it an invitation for trouble? Or should I consider a three place trailer and center my bike on solo trips?
    littletommy likes this.
    God made mud. God got lonesome. So God said to some of the mud, "Sit up!" "See all I've made," said God, "The hills, the sea, the sky, the stars." And I was some of the mud that got to sit up and look around. Lucky me, lucky mud. I, mud, sat up and saw what a nice job God had done.
    Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle

I would buy a regular utility trailer big enough for 2 bikes. That way you could haul 1 in the middle, 2 side by side, or use the trailer for a run to the local home improvement store.
    2013 Yamaha TW200

1996 Yamaha TW200

1995 Kawasaki KLR650

2002 Yamaha RoadStar 1600 with sidecar

It is hard to say for sure without knowing the specifics of the trailer that you are considering. I have a small two place motorcycle trailer on which the right side channel is slightly offset towards the center of the trailer to somewhat compensate for when only one bike is being trailered. So unless the trailer is very narrow, very lightweight and has very small donut sized wheels, I would not worry too much about trailering only a single TW.
    Last edited by TW-Brian; 10-19-2017 at 08:45 PM. Reason: fixed typo

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

rbm
    Quote Originally Posted by scotti158 View Post
    I would buy a regular utility trailer big enough for 2 bikes. That way you could haul 1 in the middle, 2 side by side, or use the trailer for a run to the local home improvement store.
    This, AND, add holes for wheel chocks that you can place as needed.
    scotti158 and littletommy like this.

I can't speak to other brands of trailers but when I first bought my Kendon dual trailer one of the first thing I bought was the Center Rail Chock for hauling a solo bike.
    Big surprise to me was that Kendon sternly recommends NOT to do this. The 3rd/extra rail is for hauling 3 bikes (obviously smaller dirt bikes) and not a single.
    With torsion-bar suspension it is engineered to hold one bike by itself on either side. It really is a mind-freak initially doing this because if you look at it... well... it just doesn't seem to make sense.
    But it does work very well/perfectly this way. Really makes no sense to buy a single trailer for any motorcycle. They'll always be someone or some other bike to haul. I have a carrier now to. But sometimes the trailer is just as easy to layover in the garage and haul one bike.

I'm usually hauling two bikes but one is not out of the question. Funny thing is that because you have to drill some holes in the trailer to install the 3rd rail, I never had done so. Was never going to use it they way I thought I could.
    IMG_4883.JPG

Even at 500 lbs. the trailer (at least this brand and suspension) does not lean at all. Kinda mind-boggling!
    IMG_8397.JPG

I don't leave the VersaHaul together so when I'm going to use it I have to "build" it. That and it's weight (it's darn heavy) sometimes makes just using the Kendon an easier hook-up.
    IMG_4746.jpg
    Cascade Rider and Fred like this.

Can't say whether it's smart, but I've done it a million times with my bikes.
    I now have a well used harbor freight trailer. I cam put the bike anywhere. It's Chinese, it's cheap, and one of the most useful things I've ever bought
    Cascade Rider likes this.
    87 TW

Just be mindful of the weight capacity of what ever trailer you do decide on. A single TW weighs right around 300 pounds so 2 TWs would be 600. A trailer with a 1,000 or 1,200 pound capacity would be most suitable for this load. My utility trailer has a 3,500 axle and sucks for carrying just one light bike or garden tractor because it bounces all over the place. I built one of the Harbor Freight El Cheapo trailers and I did beef it up a bit and love it. I would not recommend it for long hauls but for minor short distance hops it is perfect and with a 3/4" treated plywood floor you can add and remove any chocks and eyelets as needed. For around $300 and a days assembly time you can't beat it for a TW or in my case a couple kayaks.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

I have a two motorcycle trailer, home built I think, and I haul one TW on it all the time. I have had zero troubles doing it, even doing 70+ mph.

P5160708.JPG
    P4080619.JPG
    admiral, littletommy, Mel and 1 others like this.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

A commendable job on that trailer. I see from one picture you haul your bike on one side of the trailer. Any issues there?

OK Cascade Rider; I know a picture is worth a thousand words - but if you go back and ignore the pictures, you'll have your answer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links