• 5 Post By GaryL
  • 2 Post By Badgerflorida
  • 4 Post By GaryL
  • 2 Post By jtomelliott49
  • 2 Post By GaryL
  • 2 Post By Eatmore Mudd

Thread: Dealer installed fasteners versus factory installed fasteners

Dealer installed fasteners versus factory installed fasteners

Yesterday, after a ride around Red Rock Canyon and a few points beyond (78 MPG for 120 miles), I came home with 1113 miles on the bike and lubed the chain for the second time (first was 2 weeks ago, at 500 miles).

It has only been 403 miles since I changed the oil for the second time, 14 days prior, so I was thinking there was not much else to do to prepare for the next ride.

However, this morning, I decided to check over fasteners. Generally, I don’t have much concern over factory assembly, but more about dealer assembly.

When I brought the bike home, Sep 26, I removed Tupperware to get familiar with the bike, cut off some cable tie ends, tucked in some rear fender wiring, etc.

At that time, I noticed that the fender is supposed to be mounted with 4 - 6 mm bolts, but only the two front were installed, so I added 2 button head stainless, with stainless lock washers and flat washers, to the rear. I thought I checked torque on the two the dealer installed, but this morning I noticed one of them missing. So, I replaced the remaining hex head bolt and installed 2 more button head.

The moral of this story is to check over fasteners, especially those likely installed during dealer set-up.

Up to now, the only ones that were loosening were the #3 Phillips (JIS?) on the muffler heat shield.

XT250 front fender.JPG
    2014 Honda CB1100
    2018 Yamaha XT250
    2016 Moto Guzzi V7 II
    2017 Yamaha TW200
    2012 Triumph Bonneville
    2002 H-D Sportster 1200 Sport
    2003 H-D Sportster 883
    1976 Honda CB750F
    1975 Honda CB360
    1970 Yamaha CT1
    1972 Yamaha CT2
    1972 Yamaha AT2/CT2
    1970 Honda SL350
    1970 Honda CL350
    1967 Honda CL160
    1967 Honda CB160
    1962 Honda CA110

A little blue loctite goes a long way too
    Bobo413, Eatmore Mudd, Ken and 4 others like this.
    Pair of 2006 TW's modded to the hilt and a Ducati Multistrada.

Hidden Content

Butt head Allens and loctite, favorites of mine.
    Darth, Ken, Eatmore Mudd and 2 others like this.
    Phelonius

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

You can never trust the owners teenage kid assembling bikes after school.
    2017 XR650l
    2014 NC700X
    2005 ST-1300
    Wanted TW450

TWs are shipped from the factory 2 on a pallet and mostly fully assembled. The handle bars are turned down to reduce the height but not much else as I can remember that needed dealer installation. I would blame this more on the factory than on the dealer but you are correct, all nuts, bolts and fasteners should be checked and checked often. We have seen many cases of the engine bolts securing the engine to the frame backing out and one time I took a brand new TW for a test ride at the dealer, only went about a mile up the road before I turned around to head back and noticed the shift foot lever had rattled off.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Quote Originally Posted by GaryL View Post
    TWs are shipped from the factory 2 on a pallet and mostly fully assembled. The handle bars are turned down to reduce the height but not much else as I can remember that needed dealer installation. I would blame this more on the factory than on the dealer but you are correct, all nuts, bolts and fasteners should be checked and checked often. We have seen many cases of the engine bolts securing the engine to the frame backing out and one time I took a brand new TW for a test ride at the dealer, only went about a mile up the road before I turned around to head back and noticed the shift foot lever had rattled off.

GaryL
    Which gear were you stuck in? That happened to me. After reassembling my bike I was in such a rush to test ride it, I forgot to do a “final tighten and check”. It took 3 full laps around our block before the shift lever fell off. In 4th gear. Pretty easy to find and limp back home. Another good reminder to check everything over whether you did the work or someone else did. And don’t be in a hurry. And don’t go too far from home on your test rides. Or just don’t be dumb like me. I like that you only need a few sockets or drivers to tighten just about everything on these bikes.
    Ken and littletommy like this.
    01 SOLD
    96 SOLD
    89 restored SOLD
    89 (restoration in process)
    05 (restoration in process)
    03 SOLD
    04 in great condition

Quote Originally Posted by Badgerflorida View Post
    Which gear were you stuck in? That happened to me. After reassembling my bike I was in such a rush to test ride it, I forgot to do a “final tighten and check”. It took 3 full laps around our block before the shift lever fell off. In 4th gear. Pretty easy to find and limp back home. Another good reminder to check everything over whether you did the work or someone else did. And don’t be in a hurry. And don’t go too far from home on your test rides. Or just don’t be dumb like me. I like that you only need a few sockets or drivers to tighten just about everything on these bikes.
    I was in second gear on the return with no shift lever so not that big of a deal. I can't swear to this but I do believe this should never have happened if the bike was set up correctly. Most shift shafts have a bolt groove cut in the splines. If the bolt is inserted from the top side of the lever with the nut on the bottom even if the nut backs off the bolt should keep the shift lever from coming off. Pretty hard to have the bolt itself jump up and out IMO. So this tells me the set up guy inserted the bolt from the bottom with the nut on the top. Once the nut backs off the bolt drops out and nothing is left to hold the lever on.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Or, they completely forgot to put the nut and bolt in place.????
    littletommy and Ken like this.
    Tom in Wichita

78 Moto Guzzi SP1000
    87 Yamaha TW200
    99 Yamaha TW200
    03 Honda Shadow Spirit (girlfriend's ride)
    74 Moto Guzzi Eldorado Police model (in many pieces)

Quote Originally Posted by jtomelliott49 View Post
    Or, they completely forgot to put the nut and bolt in place.????
    There is no reason at all that I am aware of for a dealer to ever even mess with a shift lever. TWs come from the factory pretty much ready to mount the bars and make a few minor adjustments and send them on their way. I don't know a thing about the Japanese work etiquette and if Monday or Friday builds have anything to do with shoddy workmanship but I do know for sure that all these dealer "Prep and Set Up" fees are a complete bunch of BS charges they try to pass on in an effort to make more money on each sale. Keep in mind that I was the GM at a very big Honda, Kawasaki and KTM dealership and in all honesty I would rather sell you an extended warranty and a bunch of accessories than the bike itself. I had one real mechanic who was real proud of himself and 2 other wrench monkey's I would not let near my own bike. The more training and certifications we sent the Head Mechanic to the more demanding and slower he became. I deal with this shit on a regular basis. I had my vehicle in for an oil and filter change, tire rotation and fluid check. They had it for 90 minutes while I waited. At pick up time and before I paid the bill I asked a rather simple question, how did you rotate the tires when I have the special wheel lock key for the lug nuts and the same tire that was on the front drivers side is still on the front drivers side???????. I am not a very trusting individual and rightfully so with so many scam artists out here who just don't care and think we are all a bunch of dopes. The most important lesson I have ever learned was back in the USN in 1971 during Vietnam, CYA, which is Cover your Ass and no one else will do it for you. I wear a hat that proudly says "Make America Great Again" and because of that I have to play CYA in almost everything I do or I could be going down the road on 3 wheels instead of 4. Any idiot with a circular saw, hammer and pick up truck can call himself a carpenter and any jerk who can change your oil can put in an oil filter with 2 holes instead of the TW required 4 holes and blow your engine up. Our TWs are absolutely a DIY machine and if you don't DIY then at the very least have the know how to check what the dealer or some other idiot did. That is exactly why you should be here because we gain nothing by educating you on doing or getting it done right.

GaryL
    littletommy and Eatmore Mudd like this.

The best way to get acquainted with any new to you bike is to clean every square inch of it. Then put blue lock tight on every fastener to can get to. Finds me little things to correct before they grow into bigger things.
    Xracer and Darth like this.
    '87, '90, 90 & '91 XT350's. It's a family thing, wife says its an enabling thing. Saving up for a TW of my own.
    Looking for anything Yamaha XT or related. especially a brake caliper and master cylinder.

Sponosred Links