• 3 Post By Peterb
  • 3 Post By Tweaker
  • 3 Post By tuna
  • 2 Post By Mattwings
  • 4 Post By Purple
  • 5 Post By TopPredator

Thread: Sand riding

Sand riding

I realize this funny looking motorcycle appeals to me because it's so different than anything I've ever owned. I plan on doing the Sunday half of the Hammer Run Dual Sport ride . I'm guessing it will be at least 90 miles give or take and 70% old enduro course that's whooped out sand and soft dirt. The rest will be road
    What pressures can I go down to on these tires? I have a new stock rear tire and a new Shinko trials Tire 4.00 x 18 up front. I can't see running more in 12 pounds but it seems most riders on here seem to inflate their tires higher than that. This bike doesn't have enough power to spin the rim inside the bead so I'm really not worried about that. On normal motorcycles I run between 10 and 12 pounds front and rear. Since the rear tire is so big and fat would 8 be too low? The front tire I'm guessing no more than 11 lb. You all know more than I do about these bikes why I'm asking you
    I know there's a tire thread on here and pressures are all over the place. I just am concerned with how little I can use without the tires rolling and feel like I'm riding a big marshmallow
    Ken, littletommy and Elvesus like this.
    87 TW

Riding a marshmallow... hahahaha

That describes a TW pretty good!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxpower View Post
    I realize this funny looking motorcycle appeals to me because it's so different than anything I've ever owned. I plan on doing the Sunday half of the Hammer Run Dual Sport ride . I'm guessing it will be at least 90 miles give or take and 70% old enduro course that's whooped out sand and soft dirt. The rest will be road
    What pressures can I go down to on these tires? I have a new stock rear tire and a new Shinko trials Tire 4.00 x 18 up front. I can't see running more in 12 pounds but it seems most riders on here seem to inflate their tires higher than that. This bike doesn't have enough power to spin the rim inside the bead so I'm really not worried about that. On normal motorcycles I run between 10 and 12 pounds front and rear. Since the rear tire is so big and fat would 8 be too low? The front tire I'm guessing no more than 11 lb. You all know more than I do about these bikes why I'm asking you
    I know there's a tire thread on here and pressures are all over the place. I just am concerned with how little I can use without the tires rolling and feel like I'm riding a big marshmallow
    Ken, maddawgj and Elvesus like this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

I have a 5.10 244 front and stock rear and run 12 front and rear all the time even on the road but I would think you could go even lower.
    maddawgj, littletommy and Ken like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

We run @ 10-14 in the front and 10-12 in the back. 12-10 Seems good for sand. It seems to like the pressure almost even. I have tried 8,10 in the back and also the front but lower the bikes seems to loosen up too much.
    maddawgj, Ken and littletommy like this.
    ”Everything You Know is Wrong”

” How Can You Be in Two Places at Once When You Are Nowhere at All?”

Twin 2014 TW200's made side by side on the assembly line, Moose rear racks, Protaper ATV high bars, DG oval pipes, kick starters, rejetted carbs, 130 main jets, 2 -3 -.020 shims on the needles and @ 2 1/2 turns on the pilot screw, #34 pilot jets, Acerbis hand guards, Shinko 241 front tires, modified Krator foot pegs, 14-55t sprockets, Ricochet skid plates and 90 degree fuel filters.

I've run as low as 8lbs with no problem, only in extreme sandy conditions. Usually in sand 12.
    littletommy, maddawgj and Ken like this.

I have run under 10 without a problem, but did not find traction was improved for me. i normally run 10-12 off road and 18 if I know I am riding primarily pavement. if I am jumping back and forth, about 13-15 seems good, but I am 260 lbs. I think that has a big effect on feel related to pressure.
    Ken and littletommy like this.
    2002 TW200 "The Punisher"
    1998 DR350r
    1996 KDX 200
    Riding in and around the great state of Michigan (usually)

Depends on two things — body weight — and riding style

If you go too low, you risk pushing a wall of sand in front of the wheel - and if you go too high, yeah you stand more chance of “cutting” through it, but loose traction by doing so — it’s a trade-off only the individual rider can answer

Riding style is just as tricky — do you lean over the bars — sit tight — or just kinda “float” your weight more or less over the seat. Do you steer with your hands, your feet, or your body (or all three)

How fast are you going — what’s the sand actually like ? — the list is endless ….

The only way to find all this stuff out, is to get out there and basically “experiment”. Most of us would say “experience” riding in the soft stuff is more important. Not perhaps the answer you wanted (because you will spend some time face down), but it’s the hard truth.

In my experience (and don’t get me started on brand of tires here), I’d suggest that around 12psi (200lb rider) is about as low as I’d want to go without pushing that “wave” of sand in front of me, and around 16psi to avoid “railing” it through. The problem with “railing”, is that when the sand underneath changes course, it takes the steering with it

Find your natural “float point” riding position — where it doesn’t matter what the front or the rear wheels are doing or going, you instinctively balance the bike through it. Your “float point” on the bike is half the battle — and it will ultimately determine the eventual psi you run your tires at. One leads to the other.

Good luck on the “Hammer” — and I hope this post will have confused you into thinking that it’s no longer about tire pressures — it’s about “you” — and that’s the truth

Some things you have to learn the hard way — and riding sand is one of them

You’ll know when you get it right — and that grin is priceless ……..
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

12 psi front and rear. Sit back on the seat and give it hell.
    Mattwings, Ken, Peterb and 2 others like this.
    If I’m ever on LIFE SUPPORT, UNPLUG ME. Then plug me back in... See if that works. Hidden Content

TW 2006 Ruth
    TW 1988 Black Widow.
    1994 Harley FXR

Rick

Sponosred Links