National Park Fees
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: National Park Fees

National Park Fees

Someone posted here recently about doing a trip to Yosemite, I think it was. Just seen in the news, proposals to increase park fees. I have read the lines to get in are ridiculous and parking hard to find

National Park Service Proposes $70 Entrance Fee into Some Parks
    littletommy and ejfranz like this.
    2005 Tdub

I'm not gonna say what's om my mind.
    littletommy and ejfranz like this.
    '87, '90, 90 & '91 XT350's. It's a family thing, wife says its an enabling thing. Saving up for a TW of my own.
    Looking for anything Yamaha XT or related. especially a brake caliper and master cylinder.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuber View Post
    Someone posted here recently about doing a trip to Yosemite, I think it was. Just seen in the news, proposals to increase park fees. I have read the lines to get in are ridiculous and parking hard to find

National Park Service Proposes $70 Entrance Fee into Some Parks
    That should cut down the parking problem Glad I got my Senior Pass back at Big Bend last year....still good to go and all for $10, right place, right age, right time
    Hoot's Ride Slide Show Music Videos

Hidden Content

TW Adventure Rides Completed
    March 2015 Moab: With 30 TW Forum Friends..
    Summer 2015 Great Lakes, Wisconsin, UP of Michigan, With Borneo and Montezuma
    November 2015: SE Ohio/West Virginia w/ Borneo and Montezuma
    March 2016: Big Bend NP in South Texas w/ Montezuma, Borneo, Ebbanflood and FW Gary
    August 2016: Montezuma and Hoot's Covered Bridge Ride in Southern Indiana

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

This past summer we went to Bryce Canyon, sort of Zion-too much traffic so we turned around and left, and then tried to get in Yosemite East Entrance. Yeah, when we made it to the back of the line we couldn't even see the gate entrance. We turned around and left. Thankfully, I have a lifetime pass and didn't have to pay. The only one of the three we could safely navigate was Bryce Canyon and it was still busy.

I should say I kind of went in Canyonlands down in Moab but it was only for the White Rim Trail. I didn't go to Arches because of the road construction.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

"The parks service said a park-specific annual pass for any of the 17 parks would be available for $75, while the cost of the annual yearlong pass, which provides entrance to all federal lands, would remain $80. Motorcycles and per person entrance fees could also see increases."

It appears that the annual pass ($80) is still good and for the extra $5 or $10 the annual pass also gets you 1/2 price camping in National forests. When I was at the Oregon dunes the National forest camping had gone up from $20 to $25 a night.
    Arches was a zoo to get into around 10 am when we were down there, but at least there is the back way in for us. It would be nice if all parks had a back way in.
    2001 TW200 sporting a MT43 up front. Duro has gone to a good home. 2015 VStrom XT, 1996 DT 200, Broken 2010 Xingue 400 XY. 2009 WR250r now shared with my son.

ejfranz, Fred, littletommy and 2 others like this.
    87 TW

This video is related to a National Recreation Area which is different from a National Park correct? Since I haven't read the NREA Land Act yet, I wonder if there is a difference between a Forest Service, National Park Service, and BLM Recreation Area?

Probably won't really matter to us as we avoid places that have a fee except for the occasional camp spot.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

I like using the national forest campgrounds and find them a reasonable price if you have the Interagency Pass. I have seen many people bitch and complain when tax dollars are put towards public recreation areas. I for one think that part of my taxes going towards maintaining public parks is a good use of the money and I don't mind paying for improved facilities. I generally do not camp at provincial or state parks as they are not a reasonable price. In BC the the park services were privatized and the costs continue to increase. I know I am opening a can of worms here, but these places need to be maintained and it either has to come from general tax revenue (my preference) or users have to pay for it. From my perspective, paying $80 a years as a non resident and having access to all the US national forests is a steal. The guy in the video can"t even fill that van up for $80.

In a perfect world people would see the benefits of allowing everyone "free (our taxes are needed to support these place)" access to public lands. As it is there are people who will never step foot in one off these magical places and not see the benefit of them.
    2001 TW200 sporting a MT43 up front. Duro has gone to a good home. 2015 VStrom XT, 1996 DT 200, Broken 2010 Xingue 400 XY. 2009 WR250r now shared with my son.

Wait until they privatize the entire system. Just think....a tram car to the top of half dome and Mickey Mouse there to greet you.
    admiral, littletommy and Rhodetrip like this.

One can avoid most users fees by carefully choosing one’s destination. Of the several hundred of ride videos I have posted that were filmed on public lands perhaps only 8 were in fee areas like Yosemite or Canyonlands National Parks. I go camping many times per year but only stay in a fee campground under duress, perhaps once every five years or so.
    My secret to avoiding frustration with crowds and fees is to not be a sheep and to not follow the masses.
    Try under visited parks like Escalante Grand Staircase, or Great Basin National Parks with no entrance, nor user fees.
    Certainly write your congressmen and voice opposition to raising fees and invest in an interagency pass if you plan on several park visits. Two motorcycle trips into Yosemite plus Arches and Canyonlands had me break even on this year’s pass. Backcountry exploring in Death Valley one never gets to see a ranger to show one’s pass if one does not enter by the main tourist corridor.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links