Sand?
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree116Likes

Thread: Sand?

Sand?

So, I've had a TW for a little more than two years, and have only taken it on trail rides. But, I live near the St. Anthony Sand Dunes in Idaho. I'm wondering if the TW can at all ride sand, and if anyone might have any tips on how to do so.

There has been lots of discussion in the Moab threads about sand.
    Yes, the TW can do sand. Air down the rear tire and make sure there is little weight over the front, i.e. No front rack with stuff on it and no front tool/tube bag. Speed is your friend in sand. Get into second gear or higher as fast as you can and keep the power on and your weight over the rear wheel. Do not fight the bike, let the front end wander a bit.
    IMG_20171012_132522.jpg
    These are my tracks at Sand Lake in Oregon. I was trying to take the shortest path from point A to B, but notice how I am all over the place. I let the front tire have a lot of freedom in the path it chooses. An ATV tire also helps on the back.
    Last edited by ejfranz; 10-27-2017 at 04:58 PM.
    littletommy, Ken, Tweaker and 6 others like this.
    2001 TW200 sporting a MT43 up front. Duro has gone to a good home. 2015 VStrom XT, 1996 DT 200, Broken 2010 Xingue 400 XY. 2009 WR250r now shared with my son.

Welcome to the forum!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gladius650 View Post
    So, I've had a TW for a little more than two years, and have only taken it on trail rides. But, I live near the St. Anthony Sand Dunes in Idaho. I'm wondering if the TW can at all ride sand, and if anyone might have any tips on how to do so.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Thank you! Glad to be here!

Thank you. That's exactly the kind of information I was looking for.

Fun and Thankfully soft.

IMG_5711.JPG

Ken
    Welcome.

I am not one that does well in the sand; but others here have done much better getting through it.

I'll feel safe to guess that you are not going to be able to climb the the tall dune hills which again I guess will be similar to the Imperial Sand Dunes (Glamis).
    Just saying it takes power (that the TW doesn't have) and generally paddles to get the traction to climb.

Trying to cross the flatter sand stretches will probably be tough enough. Wishing you luck though. Let us know, with hopefully pics too.

Quote Originally Posted by old w/?? View Post
    I am not one that does well in the sand; but others here have done much better getting through it.

I'll feel safe to guess that you are not going to be able to climb the the tall dune hills which again I guess will be similar to the Imperial Sand Dunes (Glamis).
    Just saying it takes power (that the TW doesn't have) and generally paddles to get the traction to climb.

Trying to cross the flatter sand stretches will probably be tough enough. Wishing you luck though. Let us know, with hopefully pics too.

Haha, yeah, I intend to stay on the flatter stuff. But thank you, I'll keep y'all updated on how it goes.

I have ridden at the Weiser Sand Dunes and Moab. The TW can do it. Ejfranz & old man w/?? are quite accurate. The stock Bridgestone front tire sucks in sand. This past year I did the ATV rear tire modification and that really helps. ATV can paddle better than the stock rear. If you feel comfortable standing up while riding that will help a lot too.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links