TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

emergency locators

4K views 39 replies 17 participants last post by  maddawgj 
#1 ·
to the folks who use a satellite emergency locator, what brand do you use and how easy is it to use and would you recommend it. what is the yearly cost of you subscription? our drug store has the Spot on sale for $85 and I am thinking of getting one and would like some feed back

#2 ·
I use the spot, but the yearly contract is getting expensive. I think it was $160 USD so almost $200 Can, when I first got it years ago it was $90 USD.
I was going to go with the Garmin ( use to be InReach ) as it is more flexible, but their GPS combo unit I have been told is not that great of a GPS.

#3 · (Edited)
geez, they have us by the short hairs! I looked into a ham licence, but that is way more expensive and I don't want to work that hard to get a licence. I still have to look into sat phones, but I can guess that will be out of the question too. i'll take a look at garmin. does a Canadian subscription for spot work ok in the states?

#4 ·
I believe it is world wide. I have sent the OK message from as far south as Utah and as far North as Tuk in the NWT.
I have never has to use the red button or my private message - send help.

#5 ·
I have one of the older versions of a SPOT that Mrgizmo (Gerry) gave me. In 2015 it cost me $149 U.S.D. My renewal this year was $164. I use the I'm ok button all the time. Don't use the auto-tracking feature much since I push the ok button instead. Like ejfranz I've not had to use the emergency or help buttons, though had I not been riding with ejfranz and old man w/?? I might have with the flat tire.

I think any PLB, InReach, SPOT, TW-Emergency Carrier Pigeon will do just fine.

#6 ·
Well, I use a PLB instead of a Spot, or DeLorme. I have no interest in telling the wife exactly where I am every half hour. I only want to call out search and rescue when the shit really hits the fan. Thus I have no subscription fees, and it lasts 6 years....$244 from Amazon. $244 / 6 = $40.60 per year. Of course, every six years you are faced with the ~ $ 160 battery replacement and test fee, or just buy the latest and greatest for $244......my current dilemma..:p

#7 · (Edited)
Used Spot service for almost 8 years, but have not ridden much of late so let it lapse last month. Spot fees just took another jump in October 2017, but I still think it represents a worthwhile investment. If your major concern is being lost or seriously injured, a PLB (personal locator beacon) is a much better bet. Most run around $200 and cost nothing to carry or use, but, the circumstances need to be (thought to be) life threatening. I now carry one of those. Have a amature radio license as well and generally a transceiver is with me as well. In my opinion getting help via a ham radio (handheld) would be pretty convoluted and likely involve 'lots' more time. You would need to be able to make contact and then provide someone your gps position. This generally will take a bit of luck, a very good antenna (aftermarket) and likely an additional battery pack. After deciding to pass on the Spot subscription I went and paid another $300 on another compact 25 watt 2meter radio and a couple of weeks building a 'special' longer distance antenna. Made the antenna to breakdown into 3 19" segments and mount on top of a 4' (telescoping) tripod. Figure I can still setup this system laying on the ground. In short, the Garmin or Spot is a better choice, especially if family wants to monitor your well being or location. In a life threatening situation, a Personal Locator Beacon is far more powerful and far more likely to bring emergency help.

#20 · (Edited)
Have a amature radio license as well and generally a transceiver is with me as well. In my opinion getting help via a ham radio (handheld) would be pretty convoluted and likely involve 'lots' more time. You would need to be able to make contact and then provide someone your gps position. This generally will take a bit of luck, a very good antenna (aftermarket) and likely an additional battery pack. After deciding to pass on the Spot subscription I went and paid another $300 on another compact 25 watt 2meter radio and a couple of weeks building a 'special' longer distance antenna. Made the antenna to breakdown into 3 19" segments and mount on top of a 4' (telescoping) tripod. Figure I can still setup this system laying on the ground.
Gerry,
Did you look into any of the wire only antennas? Dipole or J Pole. I have thought about carrying one of those and using the paracord I always carry to string it up in the trees if I need the emergency range on my HT. Would be easy enough to stuff into the tool tube and carry. Haven’t tried yet, so it’s only a theory.

#8 ·
Garmin bought out DeLorme. So the inReach is now a Garmine product.

Reactions: littletommy
#11 ·
Spending 150.00 plus on something you hope not to use seems like a lot. Especially when there are so many things to spend money on that you do use. Like your gas and electric bill. But if you need it you would write a check for 100x that to get out of a life threatening situation . And it's pretty amazing that the technology is available to anyone with 150.00 that someone will come help you at a push of a button anywhere in the world.
This is coming from a guy broken down on a jet ski with the sun going down in the ocean with no Sea Tow Service because he didn't want to spend 175.00 for the yearly subscription. A person only makes that mistake one time

#13 ·
Spending 150.00 plus on something you hope not to use seems like a lot. Especially when there are so many things to spend money on that you do use. Like your gas and electric bill. But if you need it you would write a check for 100x that to get out of a life threatening situation . And it's pretty amazing that the technology is available to anyone with 150.00 that someone will come help you at a push of a button anywhere in the world.
This is coming from a guy broken down on a jet ski with the sun going down in the ocean with no Sea Tow Service because he didn't want to spend 175.00 for the yearly subscription. A person only makes that mistake one time
This is what happens when you ride all night after a couple crashes and you don't have a Locator Device but you do have worried a worried wife or girlfriend. An unexpected turn of events kept my son and me out all night. I was injured and his headlight didn't work. We never stopped except for the crashes and breaks. It was after this adventure Mrgizmo gave me his SPOT. My wife cancelled the SAR when we arrived back at the trailhead at 0530. We were supposed to be done riding at 1730.

I'm pretty good at telling someone where I'm going but I'll gladly pay for the spot.

Voicemail recording on my cell I received after we got back to the trailhead. No cell service where we were.

#12 · (Edited)
another option that I learned of this year is the Garmin rhino radio/gps units. I use them for hunting and they are a fantastic radio and gps unit. Anyways the new 750 model has a SOS feature that we discovered while trying to set up my buddies new gps this year, but I'm not sure entirely how it works so i guess ill have to do some research

after doing a little research it seems that the sos feature on the rhino will only go out to other rhino units and not actually call emergency services.

#14 ·
I have this one,https://www.acrartex.com/products/c...or-beacons/resqlinkplus/#sthash.ZGHHFBcx.dpbs

I spend quite a bit of time off-shore and it is an extra security measure. I also keep it in my riding jacket pocket on motorcycle trips, particularly when I am solo in the woods. You pay a little more up front but no annual fees. I agree with Rockytfs, I don't need the other features, just need to know that the cavalry is coming if you ever need them. I hope that I can never give you a proper review on how it worked, I will be in very bad shape before I resort to using it.

#16 ·
what I'm getting out of all this new found knowledge is that the PLB will always work, but will only be used in a life threatening situation, unless you want to pay thousands of dollars to have your bike rescued and most likely be in trouble for misuse. but no subscription fees. the spot and likes, are not always going to work, but can be helpful in a non life threatening event. but has a healthy cost to maintain. thanks for all the input, I know one thing and that is I need to do some more homework

#18 ·
That's about right. These can be used for so many great things. For a primary device to alert authorities in an emergency situatioin, I've decided to carry a PLB. If I ever need this thing, it HAS to work. Is my subscription paid? Are my batteries charged? Will the signal break through the tree canopy? Will the signal get out of this canyon? Will this thing work in this country? Will the private company know what to do for where I am? Did I set it off by accident? These are all questions I don't want to have to ask in an emergency.

With a PLB, you register it with the government. You give them certain info like your name, address, emergency contacts, and how you anticipate using it. I like that. I put something like... "experienced rider will often be exploring back country roads and trails on a dual-sport motorcycle, and am unlikely to activate this device unless the situation is dire". This could easily be something like, "Often enjoying the back country in my RV without cell service. If activated, please send help."

The case has also been made, of which I have totally been convinced, that you must carry such a device ON YOU. So many will put it on their handlebars or tank bag, but what happens if you are thrown and separated from your bike with a debilitating injury? What if your bike goes down the hill or canyon or ravine, but you don't? Keep it on you!

This is not to knock the other devices. I could make the case to have both. Use a Spot or the InReach for tracking or texting, etc. It may even work in an emergency, but also keep a PLB on you for the sole purpose of being an emergency life saving device. Buy once, register once, change the battery every 6 years or so, no subscriptions.

#17 ·
Have had lot's of experience with the in reach's. They are wonderful. Load your maps onto an android smart phone and you have a great combination for GPS tracking and communications. We did an Alaska trip all the way to Prudhoe Bay and the Yukon. Son rode his Dual Sport and we towed a trailer... A trip of a lifetime. We would not have done it without the In-reach devices.

Here is a link to our maps on Delorme along with our tracks done by the In-reach devices. Just click on the + and it will load the tracks. Click on the dots and you can see the LAT/LONG, time and speed data. You can select our tracks or our son's or both. If you share the link as your traveling anyone can follow along. It does get expensive if you do too much texting.

https://share.delorme.com/sethtomblin

We used the Recreation plan. You can start and stop that program...

https://explore.garmin.com/en-US/inreach/

Some of you have already seen our Blog... Here it is if you would like to see what we did... Use the Archive to go to the beginning of the trip. You can then pick the day by day pictures.

https://northtoalaska2014.tumblr.com

Jim

#19 ·
thanks JTSTDUB, something to look into. I also read your blog about your Alaska trip a couple of years ago. I enjoyed your trip.

Larry, I understand your points and very valid. in fact if I rode like and where you ride I think I would carry 2 PLB's! thanks for bringing up the fact of being separated from your bike. vey important

#22 ·
No idea about whether the inReach can be used with a zumo. There are 2 versions. One which does not have the mapping capability, but you can text with it and the other which allows maps to be used with it. The mapping one, I have heard is not that great of a GPS.

I am waiting to here what Greg finds out in his quest to find the best survival tool. Some of us have a wife that likes to know that we are OK and a happy wife means a happy life, so just having a beacon is not an option.

Reactions: grewen and admiral
#24 ·
well, I think I have decided on the Inreach ( yes I know, after I badmouthed them) I want a unit that has 2 way communication and good battery life, the Inreach has both. garmin also offers a variety of different subscription options. in all the reviews I have read so far, people are fairly happy with them. I haven't found the same about the spot. the only hold back for me is the price. $500 is a little steep for me, i'll wait and see if there are any Christmas sales coming up

#23 · (Edited)
"Gerry,
Did you look into any of the wire only antennas? Dipole or J Pole. I have thought about carrying one of those and using the paracord I always carry to string it up in the trees if I need the emergency range on my HT. Would be easy enough to stuff into the tool tube and carry. Haven’t tried yet, so it’s only a theory."

Tried to give emergency and rescue situations a lot of thought. Would guess help would be required should you be 'very' lost or injured. If lost, likely you would still be able to manage to get an antenna up or onto higher ground. If injured, chances of doing that would be less likely. Have a nice mag mount/ground plane antenna on the back of the bike. That setup would be next to worthless should the bike laying in the dirt and I had a broken leg. What I have put together is a segmented Slim-Jim and as well, a 4 foot telescoping aluminum tripod. All of this collapses down to 21". I carry my PLB and a 5 watt 2 meter handheld in a fanny pack. The 'special' antenna, tripod and a very compact 25 watt mobile unit are on the bike and are easily accessible should the bike be within crawling distance. Have two power outlets on the bike and a sealed AGM battery. Power and hookup is simple and straightforward, my radios are programed with 21 repeater frequencies.

#25 ·
Many of the DualSportBC riders have switched to the InReach from the Spot. There is Black Friday coming up and I have seen them go on sale at London Drugs for about $50 off every once and a while.

#30 ·
Sorry Grewen, thats what happens when i post without refreshing the page. My oregon 600 (i think) does some goofy stuff occasionally, so when i started digging around for others that might be experiencing the same problems, i saw more than a few reviews from people that were none too happy with the service theyd received from garmin. So far the explorer is doing fine, a definite peace of mind boost. Miles and miles from nowhere yesterday and in the middle of a bit of a snowstorm to boot. Having that little device in the pack means the difference between some serious discomfort (read frostbite), or just a minor delay, depending on the emergency. Best of luck.

#31 · (Edited)
I'm not sure about Garmin's customer service as I haven't had to deal with them. last summer on holidays, both my Montana and virb camera stopped working and when I got home I phoned GPS Central, who sold me both of them. my camera was 1 year past warranty and the GPS was at the end of the warranty. I told them I was not too pleased when Garmin crap and they said they would look into it. a few days later I received a new Montana 680 and the new virb xe in the mail, both were upgrades from the ones I had. I don't know who took the lose on the camera, but I am very impressed with the service from GPS Central, I will buy from them again

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.