emergency locators
Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree153Likes

Thread: emergency locators

emergency locators

to the folks who use a satellite emergency locator, what brand do you use and how easy is it to use and would you recommend it. what is the yearly cost of you subscription? our drug store has the Spot on sale for $85 and I am thinking of getting one and would like some feed back
    Greg

2019 honda cb500x
    2018 honda grom
    2018 suzuki dr200

I use the spot, but the yearly contract is getting expensive. I think it was $160 USD so almost $200 Can, when I first got it years ago it was $90 USD.
    I was going to go with the Garmin ( use to be InReach ) as it is more flexible, but their GPS combo unit I have been told is not that great of a GPS.
    2001 TW200 sporting a MT43 up front. Duro has gone to a good home. 2015 VStrom XT, 1996 DT 200, Broken 2010 Xingue 400 XY. 2009 WR250r now shared with my son.

geez, they have us by the short hairs! I looked into a ham licence, but that is way more expensive and I don't want to work that hard to get a licence. I still have to look into sat phones, but I can guess that will be out of the question too. i'll take a look at garmin. does a Canadian subscription for spot work ok in the states?
    Last edited by grewen; 11-02-2017 at 05:29 PM.
    admiral, littletommy, Ken and 1 others like this.
    Greg

2019 honda cb500x
    2018 honda grom
    2018 suzuki dr200

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I believe it is world wide. I have sent the OK message from as far south as Utah and as far North as Tuk in the NWT.
    I have never has to use the red button or my private message - send help.
    2001 TW200 sporting a MT43 up front. Duro has gone to a good home. 2015 VStrom XT, 1996 DT 200, Broken 2010 Xingue 400 XY. 2009 WR250r now shared with my son.

I have one of the older versions of a SPOT that Mrgizmo (Gerry) gave me. In 2015 it cost me $149 U.S.D. My renewal this year was $164. I use the I'm ok button all the time. Don't use the auto-tracking feature much since I push the ok button instead. Like ejfranz I've not had to use the emergency or help buttons, though had I not been riding with ejfranz and old man w/?? I might have with the flat tire.

I think any PLB, InReach, SPOT, TW-Emergency Carrier Pigeon will do just fine.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Quote Originally Posted by grewen View Post
    to the folks who use a satellite emergency locator, what brand do you use and how easy is it to use and would you recommend it. what is the yearly cost of you subscription? our drug store has the Spot on sale for $85 and I am thinking of getting one and would like some feed back
    Well, I use a PLB instead of a Spot, or DeLorme. I have no interest in telling the wife exactly where I am every half hour. I only want to call out search and rescue when the shit really hits the fan. Thus I have no subscription fees, and it lasts 6 years....$244 from Amazon. $244 / 6 = $40.60 per year. Of course, every six years you are faced with the ~ $ 160 battery replacement and test fee, or just buy the latest and greatest for $244......my current dilemma..
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

Used Spot service for almost 8 years, but have not ridden much of late so let it lapse last month. Spot fees just took another jump in October 2017, but I still think it represents a worthwhile investment. If your major concern is being lost or seriously injured, a PLB (personal locator beacon) is a much better bet. Most run around $200 and cost nothing to carry or use, but, the circumstances need to be (thought to be) life threatening. I now carry one of those. Have a amature radio license as well and generally a transceiver is with me as well. In my opinion getting help via a ham radio (handheld) would be pretty convoluted and likely involve 'lots' more time. You would need to be able to make contact and then provide someone your gps position. This generally will take a bit of luck, a very good antenna (aftermarket) and likely an additional battery pack. After deciding to pass on the Spot subscription I went and paid another $300 on another compact 25 watt 2meter radio and a couple of weeks building a 'special' longer distance antenna. Made the antenna to breakdown into 3 19" segments and mount on top of a 4' (telescoping) tripod. Figure I can still setup this system laying on the ground. In short, the Garmin or Spot is a better choice, especially if family wants to monitor your well being or location. In a life threatening situation, a Personal Locator Beacon is far more powerful and far more likely to bring emergency help.
    Last edited by Gerry; 11-02-2017 at 06:51 PM.
    Take care my Friend.........

Garmin bought out DeLorme. So the inReach is now a Garmine product.
    littletommy likes this.

Bought the in reach explorer a few months back. So far so good, luckily have not had an emergency but i was able to send texts to let my girlfriend know i was ok while out elk hunting this year. Expensive, but worth every penny if i ever need it.
    ejfranz, maddawgj and Peterb like this.

the subscription for the in reach is all most the same as the spot. after going through 2 cameras and 1 gps unit in the last 2 years, sold by garmin, I'm a little gun shy of buying garmin again. I don't trust them
    ejfranz and maddawgj like this.
    Greg

2019 honda cb500x
    2018 honda grom
    2018 suzuki dr200

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links