New Owner! What now?
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Ive lurked around here for a couple months since I bought my 93 TW a couple months ago. It started fine when i bought it and has since. It had 2400 miles on it, and I got it for $1000 (that good?) I've changed the oil, filter, battery, seat cover, grips, hand guards. The carburetor looked pretty darn clean, I guess taking it apart was just for kicks since it was pretty spotless.

Anyways.... I love it, and I dont want to make it into something it isn't but is there anyway to speed the thing up? I can barely reach 55 MPH, and that's on a long flat stretch with the wind at my back. I removed the air intake rubber tube thing hoping it would let just a little more air in the engine but It didn't effect anything.

Aside from wanting to add a luggage rack on the back (any recommendations???) and a Clarke Tank, should I also look at getting a DG exhaust? Does this effect functionality at all? Or is it more for looks? Thanks for all the help. -Dan

'93 TW200

'06 TTR-125L

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the bike. That seems like a fair price. It would probably go for more around here.

Carb tuning will help your bike's performance if it hasn't been done already: https://tw200forum.com/index.php?/topic/647-carb-tuning/

http://www.cycleracks.com/ is popular for racks. I have their rear rack. I really like it. They're great people to deal with too.

Check your gearing. It's possible you may not have stock gearing. If so that might be what's holding you back.

Now the other, smarter members can chime in. Again, welcome.
    The value of the internet is that when you're wrong someone will immediately correct you, and when you're right, someone will immediately correct you". Lizrdbrth

First, do a complete oil, filters, tune, and service the entire bike, top to bottom, end to end, by the book. Make sure the carb is properly jetted. Make sure the chain and sprockets are in good shape, clean, and lubed. Make sure the brakes are not dragging and the air pressure in the tires is correct. Use a premium synthetic oil formulated for motorcycles. Make sure the sprockets are close to 14/50, ~3.57:1. Yamaha chose a nice all-around sprocket set for most North American riders. Try to find 87 octane fuel with no ethanol. You should see 65-70mph, flat, no wind, tucked.

E10 from BP knocks 10-12mph off top end compared to E0, so it is possible fuel quality is your only problem.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

When you say make sure TW sprockets are close to 15/40. What do you mean? Main sprocket 15, rear sprocket 40? How can I tell? Will there e a number on both? I have used 87 and 91 octane in an effort to see if one would perform better than another.
    '93 TW200

'06 TTR-125L

Most sprockets have the teeth number stamped on them. I don't think you will be able to see it on the front one but if you want to know mark one of the teeth and count each one as it comes around. Stock gearing is 14/50.

I forgot there's a sticky on racks: https://tw200forum.com/index.php?/top...-rack-choices/
    The value of the internet is that when you're wrong someone will immediately correct you, and when you're right, someone will immediately correct you". Lizrdbrth

Quote Originally Posted by TheGunGuy View Post
    When you say make sure TW sprockets are close to 15/40. What do you mean? Main sprocket 15, rear sprocket 40? How can I tell? Will there e a number on both? I have used 87 and 91 octane in an effort to see if one would perform better than another.

As stated above....14/50 (front/rear) is standard sprocket size(s),count the teeth if need be. If your in the carb again,check to see what size main jet it has(no idea what size is stock for your year).You may need to rejet....what is your elevation above sea level?.Alll the other things qwerty advised on!.Welcome!.........these dudes here know all aspects of the TW!!.

My rear sprocket is clearly marked 50, as for the smaller one, I have no way of getting in there without removing half the engine. I'm in Las Vegas, about 2500 feet above sea level. As for the jets; I have no idea how to tell if they are stock or aftermarket. Could chain slack be a problem? I have to tighten up the chain so it doesn't have 3" of play. Anyone know of a sticky or vid that explains how to do this correctly? Thanks.
    '93 TW200

'06 TTR-125L

Chain slack won't do anything to your top speed. and 3 inches is not that unreasonable. You don't want it tight. Here's how I do it.

Loosten up axle bolt, clear the stays so it can move around

compress the rear suspension as far as you can (its easy for fat dudes like me, I just lay on it) use a ratchet strap if need be.

Then adjust, matching both sides the same with the dial stays, so that the chain moves about an inch, a tad more is okay.

Carefully tighten everything back up (I smack on the rear of the axle a tad just to keep it tight)

Ride it up and down the street.

Check again at full compression. (adjust as necessary)

easy peesy
    Those who forge their swords into plows, will plow for those who do not.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGunGuy View Post
    ...I'm in Las Vegas, about 2500 feet above sea level. As for the jets; I have no idea how to tell if they are stock or aftermarket. Could chain slack be a problem? I have to tighten up the chain so it doesn't have 3" of play. Anyone know of a sticky or vid that explains how to do this correctly? Thanks.
    Link to PDFs of the owners and service manuals: https://tw200forum.com/index.php?/top...epair-manuals/ How to adjust the chain slack is in the owner's manual.

A you tube video on a different bike, but much of what it covers applies, keeping our wheel in line is easier: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zB4DsHV8SAQ

I'll probably be around Vegas sometime around January or so. Might have to look you up for a ride. This time of year head up to the Spring Mountains for a cooler ride. When I was there in February this year, I kept running into snow.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links