• 3 Post By cccan
  • 1 Post By boznarras
  • 3 Post By swampTDuber
  • 5 Post By stagewex
  • 1 Post By swampTDuber
  • 2 Post By PlacerLode

Thread: Front rack question

Front rack question

Just installed cycleracks front and rear. Does everyone use original factory bolts on front or should I get longer bolts for the fork mounting point. Thanks for helping us newbees.
    maddawgj and littletommy like this.

I haven't seen any bike with a front rack, but if it were me, I would get a longer bolt. longer enough to make up for the thickness of the new metal. and welcome newbee
    littletommy, maddawgj, Ken and 1 others like this.
    Greg

2019 honda cb500x
    2018 honda grom
    2018 suzuki dr200

I used longer bolts when I put mine on
    littletommy, maddawgj and Ken like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Arrow

I used longer,bolts and added washers for more contact.
    Also added a piece of 3/8 thick UHMW plastic to the load area with some D rings mounted to it. I let it go forward a bit beyond the rack. It helps contain things and gives a quick way to tie things down.
    Ken likes this.

Thanks Guys, I've added racks ,pegs , windshield and hand guards . Now I need front tire, risers, seat cover, panniers. boxes, carb kit and sprocket.(This is a new Bike). This is the very reason I never Got into building AR-15s. Buy a New gun and replace everything on it . LOL
    littletommy, maddawgj and Ken like this.

I used ever so slightly longer bolts. The steel of the cycle rack is quite thick so between that and using the original washer I was seeing to much empty thread at the other end.
    Make sure you get "rated" and stainless steel bolts.

"D-Ring" tie-down loop on the bottom is using OEM bolts.
    IMG_0400.jpg

IMG_0401.JPG

I found it impossible to re-mount the little front side reflectors the same way without some modification. And I really didn't want to sandwich yet another void between the tree and forks. Was going to use some rubberized cable tie's directly to the cyclerack but haven't gotten around to it yet.
    IMG_0403.jpg

No a whole lot you can carry on this thing and if at night it does block the light. However I can attest to it being another layer of protection.
    My wife recently took the MSF course and got her MC license. Because they give it in a classroom and then later on a closed-course (empty parking lot) the real learning to ride in traffic is done on the street afterwords. We had been practicing for almost 2 hours (me on one of my bikes, her on the TW) and there is one junction less than 1/4 mile from our house that is a bit intimidating even in a car or on foot. I was in the lead and waited till there were no cars around. She followed but panicked and whiskey-throttled right into a sewer curb, went over. Scary to watch in my rearview mirror. I ran back, picked up the bike and she hopped on and rode it home. She had all good safety gear on but had to get 6 stitches on her knee. She doesn't remember why she went straight instead of turning left. Again, just an intimidating spot that has always bugged her since we have lived in our town. Blessed that she's fine.

Fast-Forward to inspecting damage to the bike which was Zero. Between the rear and front cycle racks and the hand guard protection not one part of the actual bike was touched. Even though it was a slow speed crash (5mph or less) believe me it was a hard one and that front rack took the brunt of the crash. So I'm glad I have it though I didn't expect to use it this way.
    IMG_0396.JPG
    Last edited by stagewex; 11-11-2017 at 08:47 AM.
    grewen, littletommy, Fred and 2 others like this.

Glad your wife is OK . That is one of the reasons I went with the front rack, having a little something extra up front is cheap insurance. Great pics, Thank You
    maddawgj likes this.

Front racks don't need longer bolts there's tons of safety margin on those threads and the reflector can be flipped backwards or thrown away which is what I do. Modern reflective tapes are amazing and far far superior to the OEM reflectors IMO. The lower bolts on the rear cyclerack should be 1/4" longer and are included if you buy new from the boys in Idaho
    Last edited by PlacerLode; 11-11-2017 at 06:40 PM.
    littletommy and maddawgj like this.
    "It's Like Warm Apple Pie"

Hidden Content

Sponosred Links