Thought I should introduce myself
Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree144Likes

Thread: Thought I should introduce myself

Thought I should introduce myself

My name is Gene Carroll and I reside just off of Interstate 5 in a log cabin in the woods near La Center WA here in SW Washington State,

I'm a V/N vet with my share of agent orange related issues who refuses to give up !

I'm just getting back into "dirt" and trail riding as I just made a deal on a pretty decent 1996 TW this afternoon ( Will need to drive 3 hours East to pick it up this weekend ) I have spent most of my free time since 1967 riding on 2 wheels.

Curious as to any specific issues I need to be aware of with the 96 ? It does have a good H/D rear rack, upgraded Kenda front tire. It also has both kick and eletric start which I consider a plus. However, it also comes with a drum versus disc front brake.... Is that a concern? I'm also not sure if this year has a CV style carb.... again, is this a potential problem ( I'm too old to have to push it back out of the woods)

I have over the years, been very involved in both traditional archery and Crossbow forums where I have made many many good friends and hope the same friendships will occure here.

Thanx for allowing me in..
    Gene
    Last edited by excalibur; 11-09-2017 at 07:39 PM.
    jtstdub, littletommy, Ken and 10 others like this.

Hey welcome. No worries on the drum or carb.
    ”Everything You Know is Wrong”

” How Can You Be in Two Places at Once When You Are Nowhere at All?”

Twin 2014 TW200's made side by side on the assembly line, Moose rear racks, Protaper ATV high bars, DG oval pipes, kick starters, rejetted carbs, 130 main jets, 2 -3 -.020 shims on the needles and @ 2 1/2 turns on the pilot screw, #34 pilot jets, Acerbis hand guards, Shinko 241 front tires, modified Krator foot pegs, 14-55t sprockets, Ricochet skid plates and 90 degree fuel filters.

Welcome to the forum!!

Sounds like you found a good bike. How many miles does it have on it. You're going to have a lot of fun on it. Have no concerns about disc or drum brakes, they work about the same. You won't have any carb problems if you treat it with some Stabil or Seafoam during winter storage. Run NON Ethanol in it if you can get it near you. www.pure-gas.org

I'm in the same boat with you on the AO.

Again, welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by excalibur View Post
    My name is Gene Carroll and I reside just off of Interstate 5 in a log cabin in the woods near La Center WA here in SW Washington State,

I'm a V/N vet with my share of agent orange related issues who refuses to give up !

I'm just getting back into "dirt" and trail riding as I just made a deal on a pretty decent 1996 TW this afternoon ( Will need to drive 3 hours East to pick it up this weekend ) I have spent most of my free time since 1967 riding on 2 wheels.

Curious as to any specific issues I need to be aware of with the 96 ? It does have a good H/D rear rack, upgraded Kenda front tire. It also has both kick and eletric start which I consider a plus. However, it also comes with a drum versus disc front brake.... Is that a concern? I'm also not sure if this year has a CV style carb.... again, is this a potential problem ( I'm too old to have to push it back out of the woods)

I have over the years, been very involved in both traditional archery and Crossbow forums where I have made many many good friends and hope the same friendships will occure here.

Thanx for allowing me in..
    Gene
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Welcome to the forum! I have an 87 with the front drum. If I could have it all I would like a disc. However I haven't had any issues with the drum. If I had to choose between a disc brake and a kick start I would choose the kick start. There are many little issues with the TW but nothing major. The TW is not a race horse, more like a little mule. I have a primal gear survival long bow and can carry that setup easily on the dub. Loaded down with gear, the run kind of reminds me of old number 7 from the Grizzly Adams TV series. Kantanerous but tough and loyal. At least as loyal as any collection of carbon steel can be. Not sexy but endearing. Welcome again.
    jtstdub, littletommy, Ken and 6 others like this.

Welcome Gene! Many of us are from the VN era, I luckily was never there. I was busy chasing Russian Subs under the Arctic and North Sea.
    I am familiar with the later Tw's... 03 and up.... So I will not provide input into your concerns although I do not hear anyone complain about the drum front brakes, nor the carb.

The active members that provide input and opinions on this forum is one of the best forums I belong to...

I too was a rider in the 70's and stopped for family... Now I ride my TW and Scoot nearly daily. Oh and my old VW's.

Jim
    littletommy, Ken, admiral and 5 others like this.
    Hidden Content 2003 Tw200, 2014 BWS 150, 1969 VW Beetle Baja, 1972 Super Beetle and a 1987 Suzuki Samurai.

Welcome from WI. Thanks for serving our country. Don’t worry too much about the drum. My 2001 has the disc and it’s not that much better. Depending on what other bikes you’re used to, you’ll probably be a little disappointed in the brakes. You might need to adjust your riding style until you get used to it. These mighty little beasts are woefully underpowered, undersuspsioned, undergeared, and underbraked, but they are a blast to ride and will most likely be still running after Armageddon.

Cheers and keep us posted on your new ride.

PS - the Kenda up front and the kicker put you ahead of the curve from the start.
    littletommy, Ken, admiral and 4 others like this.
    01 SOLD
    96 SOLD
    89 restored SOLD
    89 (restoration in process)
    05 (restoration in process)
    03 SOLD
    04 in great condition

Quote Originally Posted by Badgerflorida View Post
    PS - the Kenda up front and the kicker put you ahead of the curve from the start.
    Adding wider footpegs and 2 inch bar risers helps a lot too.
    Ken, admiral, Elvesus and 3 others like this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Senior Member Leisure Time Larry's Avatar
    Welcome! Yay, another Washingtonian!
    - Leisure Time Larry -
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

2004 TW200, 13-55 gearing, Shinko 241, Race Tech Emulators, Procycle front springs, Works Performance rear shock, Emgo handguards, Luckybike mirror risers, Ken Sean DS foldable mirrors, 30mm Tusk bar risers, Seat Concepts, Kick Starter kit, Plasti-dip camo coat, Cycle Pumps, Ricochet Skid Plate, flood and spot LED pod lights, Sena, Garmin etrex 20 GPS, IMS 313114 folding shifter

Ken
    Welcome from Texas. Thanks for your service. These bikes are low maintenance. Mine is a 93. I think most tinker with them when they really don't need anything adding to their fun. I would check your chain slider for any cracks or breaks. Mine cracked, broke and locked up my back tire. The only other issue I have had is the disk brake would be grabby when it was cold or damp. I solved this with antiseize on the pivot points and the brake cam. Also watch your steering head bearings. Everyone likes to upgrade to the tapered bearings. I still need to do mine. Mine has mostly been ridden on the streets but it didn't need any real work until 42000 miles. Enjoy the new ride.

The disc brake doesn't work either, so don't worry about having a drum.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links