Identifying the year of your TW by the letters in the Vin Number
Close

Like Tree8Likes
  • 5 Post By littletommy
  • 2 Post By peruano
  • 1 Post By GaryL

Thread: Identifying the year of your TW by the letters in the Vin Number

Identifying the year of your TW by the letters in the Vin Number

This information was graciously provided by forum member Methamphetasaur.

This number/letter would be the 10th digit of the VIN NUMBER

Additional information for number or letter in Vin Number:

1- Where it's made

2-3- Manufacturer
    4-8- Engine size/ model info [not the same across brands]
    9- Check digit [for government checking of fraudulent vins or similar]
    10- Year code
    11-17- Vehicle specific info [production plant, options, assembly number (different across brands)]

Additional info for Registration/title numbers/letters.

2014 E1
    2013 D1
    2012 B1
    2011 A1
    2010 Z
    2009 Y
    2008 X
    2007 W1
    2006 V
    2005 T1
    2004 S
    2003 R
    2002 P
    2001 N
    2000 M
    1999 L
    1998 K
    1997 J
    1996 H
    1995 G
    1994 F
    1993 E
    1992 D
    1991 B
    1990 A
    1989 W
    1988 U
    1987 T

An additional "C" means California.
    Last edited by littletommy; 11-10-2017 at 11:58 AM.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

I edited the above Sticky. Is there any other info that might be of help in that post?
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

The year code 10th number represents the model year. In fact the date printed above the vin number on the fork sticker is the manufacture date (and may not agree with the model year embedded in the vin number). My 02 model TW with a 2 in the 10th space on the vin bears the date 6/01 and thus was made in June of 2001 but designated as a 2002 model (still with big gas cap and no kicker (until I added it).
    Last edited by peruano; 11-10-2017 at 02:32 PM.
    littletommy and maddawgj like this.
    Tom - TW200 2002, Kawasaki VN 500 2006

Hidden Content

Central New Mexico

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

There will always be some confusion where Transitional bikes are concerned. Transition is the point when Yamaha began making the next model year bikes. We know that the 2001 model year was a major change year where they added the front disc brake, changed the carb and removed the kick start. At some point in the year 2000 Yamaha began manufacturing the 2001 models. It is very possible for a TW made in early 2000 to have the old carb, kick start and front drum while other TWs built later in 2000 could have all the changes. I would suspect if the 10th position is the letter M then your TW is a 2000 model year with all the old parts. Once the 10th position turns to N I would suspect the TW to be a 2001 model year and have all the new parts. There is always the possibility that a few TWs on the assembly line at that exact point of transition from 2000 - 2001 could have the old parts. We have not heard of this where TWs are concerned but I have seen this happen in numerous other manufacturing plants. I find it hard to believe if at the plant they had 20 fully assembled TW engines left over that still have the kick start and old carb that they would not install them on new frames that also have the front disc brake.

Back in the mid 1970s I bought a nice pair of Altec Lansing studio monitor speakers that were in fact Transitional. One of the cabinets contained the components from the previous year model and the other had a completely different and newer model low frequency woofer. At some point they switched from using Alnico magnets over to using the newer Ferrite magnets and my pair had one of each. Altec did warranty my set and gave me a choice of replacing to which ever woofer I wanted.

It would be very interesting to hear from any member with a TW that has an N code 2001 model year bike that came from the factory with a kicker and the old style carb. This would qualify it as a Transitional TW. It is also possible that a few TWs with the M code 2000 model year TWs did in fact get the front disc, new carb and no kicker.

GaryL
    littletommy likes this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

I recently acquired a another TW that came with a spare motor of unknown heritage. I have spent the last 2 nights trying to figure out the year from the motor VIN. Most likely I am not using the right search. Can someone tell me the year of this motor VIN? 3AW-059440

Thanks
    Me and my white mule

Quote Originally Posted by white mule View Post
    I recently acquired a another TW that came with a spare motor of unknown heritage. I have spent the last 2 nights trying to figure out the year from the motor VIN. Most likely I am not using the right search. Can someone tell me the year of this motor VIN? 3AW-059440

Thanks
    whitey, my spare engine is 3aw012154 and im pretty sure its a 93.
    incidently my "vin" doesnt fit the posts scheme of things, i have 2JL000205 on my red/white 87 and the original engine is or was simply 2JL, nothing else, just the three letters. no idea how it got into the country, maybe as junk parts and then re registered. it seems some blue 87s came in legally but no reds. go figure.

Sponosred Links