No longer a TW200 rider
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Well, technically I still own it but I gave it to my son to ride, but I'm sure I'll ride it from time to time. I am picking up a 2011 KLR 650 tomorrow, I just wanted something with a little more comfort and range. It's a really nice bike. The Tdub will always have a special place in my heart, they are such great little bikes. You salem boys, let me know when you are going on a ride sometime, I'll ride up and join you! Long live the TDUB!

Looks like this.

Congrats on the new bike, those KLRs are serious machines for those with the stilts to straddle 'em!

My wife has been eyeing my T-dub lately and thinking about taking the MSF ridercourse, so I may be in the market for a 2nd bike myself soon.

I'm thinking my best option might just be picking up a used TW to ride the backroads and trails with her and then saving up for a big displacement sport-tourer to really scratch that pavement itch I've been having.

Let us know how the extra 450cc and seat height stacks up against a torque-delivering fat rear tire, and whether or not that added displacement and fairing fill the gap between a TW and a liter+ pavement-focused bike well enough to win over those readers who are currently on the fence.

As a rider who's looking at frequent oil changes and triple-digit heat for the next couple of months, I'm definitely jealous of that water-cooled engine!
    2011 TW200 - Sold - after 9700 miles and 1,000,000 smiles. So long Tee Dub!
    2012 KLR650
    - Sold
    2013 Tiger Explorer XC
    2014 CB500X - RRP L3

Congrats on the new bike.
    The value of the internet is that when you're wrong someone will immediately correct you, and when you're right, someone will immediately correct you". Lizrdbrth

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Congrats! I went the same way. except I bought Gen 1. You are going to enjoy it. I am on the opposite side of the state or I'd show you some trails to ride. Plenty to ride over there too though.

For those with the shorter legs, the Corbin low saddle is a huge improvement. The stock seat was not unbearable for height in my case, but ate up my back side. I needed a better seat to be able to ride it for longer periods. (like to town and back ) I have a feeling you will want to make a change too. I hear good reports on the Sargent.

I put the Corbin low seat on KLR1 so my wife would fit on it and liked it so much myself, I put another on KLR2 for me to ride.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-

If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
    - Hidden Content

Nice looking seat, where'd you get it, how much was it? I rode for 200 miles today and the seat did become uncomfortable, I'll check it out for sure.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Chip Whiting View Post
    Nice looking seat, where'd you get it, how much was it? I rode for 200 miles today and the seat did become uncomfortable, I'll check it out for sure.

Thanks!
    Watch the classifieds over on http://www.klr650.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=42

They show up at reasonable prices from time to time. That is where I found two.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-

If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
    - Hidden Content

I have a Suzuki DR 650 but honestly I find the TW more fun. I think it is the "kick over factor", Don't misunderstand, I would never intentionally kick it over, but if I do have a mishap it is no big deal. On the Suzuki every little scratch really hurts!
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

That's so true Tony, the TW is more fun to mob around town. On the open road it's night and day, apples and oranges different. 80 is the new 50. I could cruise on the Tdub around 50, no problem, on the KLR I was rolling along on the way home on a 55 mph backroad and looked down and was going 80. I backed it down immediately, but was really pleased on the road manners. I'm sure the TW is more fun in dirt as well, but I only really traveled forest service roads, so I'm sure this bike will be just fine in that scenario.

I had a KLR the happest time was when the new owner drove it away, should have got a DR better off and on road.

Quote Originally Posted by 805gregg View Post
    I had a KLR the happest time was when the new owner drove it away, should have got a DR better off and on road.

That's not what I've been reading. The DR is better in the dirt, KLR on the road is what I've been seeing. I looked at both but the KLR won out for me, but honestly, I probably would've liked the DR too. I don't know what you didn't like about your KLR, for me, It was honestly one of the best days of my life Saturday when I bought it and rode it home up the Oregon coast, something I would've never done on the TW, too many hills and too many cars from Florence to Eugene. BTW, it's a bit dickish to tell someone they bought the wrong bike, just FYI.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links