Jump starters
Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree162Likes

Thread: Jump starters

Jump starters

For those of us that don't have kick starters, has anyone used one of the new tiny jumper starters.........

IMG_6259.JPG

Hoping my first attempt at posting an image worked....... Amazon.ca has a Bestek for $49 cdn $$$$$$. That equates to a Big Mac in USD! Much cheaper then a kick starter for emergency purposes.......

putt-putt

Since posting, I read the reviews on Amazon and apparently these are used quite commonly to start bikes with dead batteries..... I plan on stowing mine in the Pelican case.......just in case!

I want something like that, but I have a problem thinking something that small can do the job and keep on ticking,,,so to speak. Yes, I'm old, and old school. Sam's has a larger one with a compressor for about seventy bucks,,,maybe eighty. I have kickers on both my TW's, but none on my Guzzi or Girlfriend's Honda. I think those small battery jumpers are awesome if they work. Let us know how you get along with it.
    Tom in Wichita

78 Moto Guzzi SP1000
    87 Yamaha TW200
    99 Yamaha TW200
    03 Honda Shadow Spirit (girlfriend's ride)
    74 Moto Guzzi Eldorado Police model (in many pieces)

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I've used the larger ones with success in the driveway at home, when I was too lazy to grab a real charger.
    Im curious too . I'd hate to be out in the sticks & need the thing, only to find out that it didn't work.
    Guess I'd be still in the same boat if it didn't work & since its bright red, it would make a great target to shoot if it didn't work. Lol
    2005 Yamaha TW200
    2003 Kawasaki KLR650
    1995 BMW R100GSPD Classic
    1983 Honda CT110
    1984 Honda CT110

I have a friend that ride Motoguzzis that has one of those on his own and others bikes. They seem to work surprisingly well.
    I had a somewhat larger one that I used on a pickup and on my own motorcycles, including one of my TWs.
    Phelonius

I put the order in today but how do I test it if my battery isn't dead? I read the first few pages of reviews on Amazon.ca and there are several different buyers who have used it successfully on various dirt bikes/motorcycles.......
    I would much prefer a kick starter but hate the thought of divorce after 39 years, given what I have spent todate and mrs putt-putt doesn't know half........ With Amazon Prime free shipping, I caved.......

Good plan putt-putt.
    The standard battery clamps are bulky for easy carry on the bike. Maybe consider putting more compact male and female plugs on battery pack and TW bodywork to save having to remove the seat?
    Radio Control (R/C) industry has nice connector options. I believe you are only dealing with a maximum current draw of about 12 amps so most of these would work. common-battery-connectors_1359094767387.jpg
    You can still retain the standard clamps for other battery jump starting capabilities. Simply wire in another male Deans, or whatever, onto the terminal clamps you cut off the device. I have this set-up on one of my bikes only using the common Battery Tender connectors so I can feed power in from a trickle charger, or out to jump start another bike or power my air compressor.
    Once you have the easy access power plug mounted on the bike you can make up several pigtails using more connectors to perform a variety of tasks, as well as the adapter to retain the standard clamps.
    Isn’t electricity wonderful? I think they even make a 12V margarita blender.
    Last edited by Fred; 11-23-2017 at 03:56 PM.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Hey Fred, I like the way you think!
    First, let me wish you a speedy recovery from your recent surgery. My 85 year old mother has had both hips done and she is good as new......well as new as an 85 year old mother can be, lol.
    I am not mechanically inclined but was wondering if the existing battery tender cables that are attached to the battery, could be used somehow........
    Ken, jtomelliott49 and Toecutter like this.

If your bike already has the Battery Tender plug it should work. You could even lengthen it’s wires if you so desire to position it wherever you like on the bike.
    As far as wiring polarity goes it will make sense with a little thought. Your bike’s battery-to-Battery Tender plug should have the hot terminal the recessed one so as to avoid accidental shorting. Thus to feed power in from the new lithium battery you will have to essentially reverse this polarity relationship on the pigtail you make up which will seem counter-intuitive at first. i.e. the made up adapter from the lithium battery will have it’s +, or “hot” terminal exposed, the opposite of your bike’s existing Battery Tender plug.
    The current flow during jump starting will heat up, but unlikely fry the battery tender plug and it’s lead wires. Replacing lead wires with other of a heavier gauge and minimal length should help. If bike is in a good state of tune not much “cranking” is required. Lithium battery will not have nearly as great a voltage drop like a lead acid batteries exhibit once you start cranking so cranking speed and ignition should be faster. You don’t have to be schizophrenic to benefit from lithium.
    I think you should be able to come up with a pretty compact and much more affordable alternative to the kick-starter.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Thanks Fred, once I have the unit in my hand I will have an overall better feel.....
    littletommy, Ken and jtomelliott49 like this.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links