Motorcycle carrier
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree89Likes

Thread: Motorcycle carrier

Motorcycle carrier

I recently purchased a Bigfoot camper for my Ford F350 and had a hitch installed in the front so that I could haul my tdub.......

Does anyone on the site carry their tdub on the front of their truck and if so, what carrier are you using? The hitch that I had installed is a class III with a 2" receiver. Thanks in advance for your suggestions/recommendations.

putt-putt
    Bobo413, Elvesus and jtstdub like this.

There is a thread on this, but I use the cheap carrier you can get from Princess Auto. I have had mine for over 5 years and have carried my XT225, WR250r, TW200 and DT200 on it with no issues. I did drill and tap the receiver so that I could take all sway out of the carrier and I drilled another hole in the carrier to get it closer to the truck. When travelling the Dempster Hwy the carrier was hitting the ferry or road when loading and unloading.
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    I do take the mirrors off the bike for 2 reasons: 1 they intrude on Linda's view, 2 the sun can hit the far one and blind me.

Check the bottom of this page and some of those threads will be linked or do a search for motorcycle hitch carriers.
    Last edited by ejfranz; 11-25-2017 at 10:01 AM.
    littletommy, Fred, Bobo413 and 3 others like this.
    2001 TW200 sporting a MT43 up front. Duro has gone to a good home. 2015 VStrom XT, 1996 DT 200, Broken 2010 Xingue 400 XY. 2009 WR250r now shared with my son.

Thanks for the excellent pictures ejfranz.... It is nice to have a view from inside the cab! My concern is visibility and ground clearance. If the headlights are covered I will just make a point of not travelling at night, every day is Saturday for me!
    Fred, Bobo413, littletommy and 3 others like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I added lights to the front and wired them to my fog lamps to come on. The fog lamps are also beneath the carrier and provide pretty good illumination. High beams are a no - no.
    Carrier with lights.jpg
    Carrier showing lights
    Carrier closser.jpg
    Carrier closser to truck
    2001 TW200 sporting a MT43 up front. Duro has gone to a good home. 2015 VStrom XT, 1996 DT 200, Broken 2010 Xingue 400 XY. 2009 WR250r now shared with my son.

I like the way it sits when closer to the truck. Looks like you have all of the bases covered.....nice unit.

Notice ejfranz’s highly customized 2x4 block atop front fender. This eliminates suspension travel, excessive fork compression and ability of bike to bounce in transit while also allowing firm strapping down. This is a simple yet effective addition for ramp carriers and trailers as well. Select wood finish of your choice or go “au natural”in the Canadian style.Carrier closser.jpg
    ejfranz, Bobo413, Purple and 9 others like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Fred you should post your set up. Or provide a link to it.
    Bobo413, littletommy and maddawgj like this.

IMG_2910.JPGI use the same rack from Prince Auto, but I didn't like the way it bent when the bike was loaded, so I welded some 1" flat bar across the top and welded the center joints together and it is solid as a rock. I also drilled an extra hole to get the rack closer to the truck, and I supported the ends of the rack with some chain up to my tow hooks. the bike and rack do not move even a fraction of an inch when travelling.56.JPG2.JPG
    Last edited by grewen; 11-25-2017 at 11:26 AM.
    Bobo413, Fred, littletommy and 5 others like this.
    Greg

2019 honda cb500x
    2018 honda grom
    2018 suzuki dr200

Damn Fred, that is a great idea with the wood block, thank you for that! Oh yeah, nice setup!

grewen, I like the way your carrier seems to sit a wee bit higher in the front. My goal is to keep it as high off of the ground without impeding my vision....my truck is a 1 ton 4 x 4 so it sits reasonably high. I love this forum!
    littletommy, maddawgj and Elvesus like this.

I began with a rear simple Harbor Freight aluminum receiver carrier with added 2x2 uprights coming off of overhead rack. Uprights allow bike to be held steady on sidehills and off-camber situations while loading and un-loading without the straps as I often do not have a level parking spot nor someone to hold bike while I secure it. Not relevant for this thread, but shows one can modify to suit. I added the uprights after the first time I used stock carrier while unloading it the bike tried to leap off and attack Joemama as I released the last securing strap. Joe is too nice a guy to have squished before we even went riding.
    P1010334.JPG

Then I went with a receiver mount hydraulic lifted Moto-Jack, which could be mounted to a front receiver too. Bike rolls onto platform then a bottle jack raises platform bringing bike up and closer to vehicle. Tires dangle from unsupported suspensions but they could be strapped up for a bit more ground clearance. This model has been discontinued I believe. I like it for several reasons including it’s compact size in a base camp means I am less likely to walk into it at night.
    Van+Gizmo.JPGSpencer JHot Springs 3:15.jpg By strapping the bike both up and down to the vehicle this mostly eliminates the minor play in all the pivots of the four bar linkage that raises the bike. It is different, but suits my desire to not compromise ground clearance and ability to access 4x4 base camps.P1010232.JPG
    Last edited by Fred; 11-25-2017 at 12:02 PM.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links