• 3 Post By admiral
  • 2 Post By putt-putt
  • 4 Post By Fred
  • 1 Post By admiral
  • 3 Post By Maxpower
  • 7 Post By Fred

Thread: On your toes!

On your toes!

Since I don't have a real off road bike at this point my poor TW has been a victim of my burning off the world's stresses and ive been riding it on tight enduro type trails like I'm trying to zero each check. More than ocassionally I find how low this bike is by jamming my footpegs into rocks or stumps. I've been vigilant in staying conscious of keeping the balls of my feet in the center of the pegs as not to jam my toes. There were a couple times I hit so hard the fat little TW wheels came out of the rut.
    It's not a KTM but I come home with just a big a smile on my face. I don't know why I like this silly machine so much! (Although Id like a better shock).
    On a positive side this bike is so low I can hook corners feet up and on the gas. It feels like one of those kids inflatable punching clowns where you hit it and it stands up again it.
    87 TW

There is a thread on swapping out the shock that shows some promise although I forget the details right now.....must be Monday morning blues.
    littletommy and Badgerflorida like this.
    Hidden Content Sold...Oct 2018......'01 F650GS

The TW will do those type of trails, but it get tiring keeping your feet in the air to get through the rut in the single track the bigger bikes made. I caught my right foot between a root and the peg and man did that hurt. Wasn't smart enough to turn around and head home, kept riding, thinking it was going to stop hurting, it didn't. It took a few months before it was not tender. I am very conscious of where my feet are on the pegs when riding single track - as you say " on your toes "
    maddawgj, littletommy and Elvesus like this.
    2001 TW200 sporting a MT43 up front. Duro has gone to a good home. 2015 VStrom XT, 1996 DT 200, Broken 2010 Xingue 400 XY. 2009 WR250r now shared with my son.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I felt the foot bang off the rock but no pain. There is no substitution for good protective boots when riding off-road. I once broke my foot when I struck a rock while riding my TW without protective boots, I will never ride off-road again with unprotected feet. End of preachy sounding post.

I got bruised but no pain. Thank you boots. Not thank you rock.
    ejfranz, maddawgj and littletommy like this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Ouch, I know that there is a lesson for me in that picture.........toes up!
    admiral and littletommy like this.

Indeed one’s feet can get snagged when following trenches made by normal taller bikes. Toes in for the “attack stance” helps but it slows down reaching for brake or shifter. Still being a bit late on the brakes is better than smacking the foot. This was my souvenir from Moab’s Hell’s Revenge, it sure left lasting memories.4718e48a2ecc6063237e15ac759ca5a3.jpg
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Indeed one’s feet can get snagged when following trenches made by normal taller bikes. Toes in for the “attack stance” helps but it slows down reaching for brake or shifter. Still being a bit late on the brakes is better than smacking the foot. This was my souvenir from Moab’s Hell’s Revenge, it sure left lasting memories.4718e48a2ecc6063237e15ac759ca5a3.jpg

Are you riding with the full off-road motocross type boots in the picture above or the adventure riding semi-protective boots? I remember you limping for quite some time after this little doozy.
    littletommy likes this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Owww. I know that effin hurt. When your foot swells to where you can't see the bones in the top of your foot any longer you know you are going to be limping for a while .
    That just pic just might make me slow a little
    littletommy, admiral and maddawgj like this.
    87 TW

I was wearing Forma Adventure boots which are a compromise combining great comfort with only moderate impact protection.
    A full on MX style boot would have protected me more.
    However a full on MX boot would not have given me the off-bike mobility I desire. An hour prior to the foot smash I had been comfortably scampering around on some sandstone fins, something I would not feel secure doing in a rigid plastic plated MX boot. Life is a series of compromises and the TW is a pretty good example of this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Sponosred Links